How to develop toned calfs

I’ve been doing leg exercises such as squats, dead lifts, etc but I don’t see any toning occurring in my calves. Anyone got any helpful calf exercises?

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Froggers feel like they're working my calves pretty good when my pt gets me doing them. Calf presses on the leg press. Drop in to a body weight sumo squat then raise alternate heels. Walk/ run up and down a 10% incline hill.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    For me it's been walking, lots of walking. My calves didnt "bulk up", i just lost the fat covering them which revealed strong streamlined calves.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    I’ve been doing leg exercises such as squats, dead lifts, etc but I don’t see any toning occurring in my calves. Anyone got any helpful calf exercises?
    Although the aforementioned exercises are great all body developers, the one thing they don't really affect is the calves -- for that you need to perform isolation exercises like they were biceps. There's a number of ideas how best to train the calves, i.e., light weight // many reps is usually the prevailing wisdom performing calf raises, db standing calf jump, and the like.

Skateboarding is how I developed my calves, no other weighed exercises has ever come close.

Skate or die.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How long have you been doing this and how are you measuring progress? It's really hard to see progress in small muscles like the calves, especially when we have high expectations.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Cycling helps build calves
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    hiking does it for me
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I feel my calves working when I do any kind of jumping, like jumping jacks and ski moguls, plus running. You can also isolate them by doing toe raises. Three sets: toes in, toes out, toes straight forward.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Every cyclist I know who rides regularly has toned calves. That includes some guys who are have a large belly, but their calves are toned.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    I've been walking uphill with a weighted pack, today I tried on an old pair of close fitting jeans - they fitted around the waist, no problems - but they were tight around my calves. I have muscles on my leg muscles!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Long walks and a fitness glider.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    For me it's been walking, lots of walking. My calves didnt "bulk up", i just lost the fat covering them which revealed strong streamlined calves.

How do I lose the fat?
  • Grnhouse
    Thxs for all the advice,
  • Grnhouse
    I didn't know that. I've bn working out for a while and when I was much young my legs were or at leafy they looked toned to me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,812 Member

Walking up hill.
    Walking up stairs.
    Walking through sand or snow.

I cycle a lot as well, and I've definitely got muscular calves, but somehow I always attributed it to the walking ... but maybe the cycling had something to do with it too.

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    I have super toned calves thanks to many many miles of running.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    What do you mean by "toned"? Muscular definition? Reduction in size? Less fat on them? Firmness when you flex?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Every cyclist I know who rides regularly has toned calves. That includes some guys who are have a large belly, but their calves are toned.

^^ True dat! ^^
  • Grnhouse
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What do you mean by "toned"? Muscular definition? Reduction in size? Less fat on them? Firmness when you flex?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I want to have tone and definition.
  • Grnhouse
    I want to have tone and definition. And toned arms, legs and thighs. Lol!