Learning to eat clean , Tips

Options
I make the wrong food choices easily. I need some ideas on what to eat.

Replies

• IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Start simple by substituting things. sweeteners instead of sugar. Skimmed instead of semi or whole. Wholemeal instead of white. Oatmeal instead of shreddies/sugary cereals. Bit by bit. :)
  • IVMay
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    Start simple by substituting things. sweeteners instead of sugar. Skimmed instead of semi or whole. Wholemeal instead of white. Oatmeal instead of shreddies/sugary cereals. Bit by bit. :)

How are sweeteners more clean than sugar? Or skimmed milk compared to semi or whole?

OP - clean is a subjective term. It means different things to different people. Personally I don't think any food is good or bad, there are foods however that are more nutrient dense than others and should make up the majority of your diet. I try to plan my main meals around a protein, lots of vegies and some healthy fats. I have dairy, fruit and some grains on occasion. If I have room, I can fit in treats like chocolate, sweets, desserts etc...

Less calories. Less saturated fats with the milk. Sugar has high GI levels which spike blood sugar levels in dramatic ways.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try to eat lean proteins with little fat. Such as tuna chicken pork or high red meat cuts such as sirloin steak. Also eat complex carbs Brown rice oatmeal wheat pasta whole grains. Avoid fruit in the evening sugar contents are to high turns to fat. Also green yogurt is a fantastic snack with some gronala. Hope this helps.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Try to eat lean proteins with little fat. Such as tuna chicken pork or high red meat cuts such as sirloin steak. Also eat complex carbs Brown rice oatmeal wheat pasta whole grains. Avoid fruit in the evening sugar contents are to high turns to fat. Also green yogurt is a fantastic snack with some gronala. Hope this helps.

How does sugar from fruit, turn to fat, if eaten in a calorie deficit? And why does it matter if you eat it in the evening or any other time of the day?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the fruit!
    Green yogurt!?!?!?
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Options
    Because it spikes insulin levels and blood sugar levels. You are going to burn that off through out the day. It is a great snack gives you energy for the day or for a workout. It is also a great source of fiber give some take some.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Options
    Greek yogurt sorry my t9 on my phone sucks.
  • IVMay
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP this is what always happens when someone posts a thread about clean eating. As you can see, it's a controversial term, largely because it means something different to everyone.

If you want to be successful, and don't have a medical reason to restrict certain types of foods, then just set up MFP with your stats and a reasonable goal, and when MFP provides you a calorie target, aim to hit that target while logging accurately. Eat a variety of nutrient dense foods, things like lean protein, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, healthy fats, etc. but don't get caught up on whether something is "clean" or not. Things that are processed can be part of a healthy diet. Even things like ice cream, pizza, and fast food can be consumed in moderation.

Well said. Diplomatic and to the point. Thumbs up.
  • CeliaGeorge1952
    CeliaGeorge1952 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, "clean" foods mean different things to different people. To me, it just means no processed foods. I "kickstarted" my month of April by going to Panera on Saturday - what a joy! One commenter mentioned starting bit by bit - yes, it is a PROCESS. Once you start, you will know how YOU feel after you eat something. You will become aware and familiar what is "clean" - for you. Eggs are clean for me. Beans are always clean. Whole wheat bread is wonderful. I toast it, then put a scrambled egg on top, and then lay a slice of swiss cheese on top - and microwave. Awesome! And for me, I would never use an artificial sweetener other than stevia. If there is no stevia, then one teaspoon of the pure cane sugar. No chemicals. And, no margarine for me, only butter. Lots of salmon, lots of trout It is all what is right for me.You will find what is right for YOU! And I eat FREQUENTLY. That works for me. I "graze", eating small amounts, all day long.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has nothing to do with fat loss. You can eat all the clean foods you want (whatever that means) and not lose an ounce of fat. Why? Because the only thing required to lose fat is a sustained calorie deficit. To prove my point, a body builder, school teacher, and many others have lost fat eating the majority of their calories from fast foods and candy (not that this is exactly healthy), but it illustrates the point that a calorie deficit is king when it comes to losing weight.

So I suggest that you consume 80% of your foods from nutrient dense whole foods, and the other 20% can be from what you want. This covers your micronutrient and fiber bases, which are crucial to maintaining gut health and general bodily health. If you enjoy eating clean (whatever that really means), go ahead and do it, but realize that it is not required to reach your goals, nor does it mean that a 100% nutrient dense diet is better than one that allows for some sweets, pizza, or other goodies, so long as micronutrients and fiber are met.

http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158
    http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/ice-cream-diet
    http://propanefitness.com/how-to-get-lean-on-haribo-cheesecake-pringles-taking-the-piss-with-iifym/
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/plans/diets/lose-weight-fast-food-diet/
    http://nypost.com/2016/01/27/how-i-lost-nearly-100-pounds-eating-pizza/
    http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2016/10/beer-and-pie-diet---the-final-verdict.html
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, "clean" foods mean different things to different people. To me, it just means no processed foods. I "kickstarted" my month of April by going to Panera on Saturday - what a joy! One commenter mentioned starting bit by bit - yes, it is a PROCESS. Once you start, you will know how YOU feel after you eat something. You will become aware and familiar what is "clean" - for you. Eggs are clean for me. Beans are always clean. Whole wheat bread is wonderful. I toast it, then put a scrambled egg on top, and then lay a slice of swiss cheese on top - and microwave. Awesome! And for me, I would never use an artificial sweetener other than stevia. If there is no stevia, then one teaspoon of the pure cane sugar. No chemicals. And, no margarine for me, only butter. Lots of salmon, lots of trout It is all what is right for me.You will find what is right for YOU! And I eat FREQUENTLY. That works for me. I "graze", eating small amounts, all day long.

So no processed foods, yet Panera is processed, stevia is process food. And water is a chemical... What's your thoughts on food ol H2O? Bad cause it's made of chemicals?
  • namici
    namici Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make the wrong food choices easily. I need some ideas on what to eat.
    It seems to me you never asked about "Clean" eating, but just how to eat healthier. Lots of good suggestions here without getting too crazy. Some people here are telling you half-science/half-quakery though. (ie: "don't eat fruit at night because... the sugar turns to fat."). If you want the honest truth about how foods affect your body, talk to a Registered Dietitian, the nutrition experts.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    OP this is what always happens when someone posts a thread about clean eating. As you can see, it's a controversial term, largely because it means something different to everyone.

If you want to be successful, and don't have a medical reason to restrict certain types of foods, then just set up MFP with your stats and a reasonable goal, and when MFP provides you a calorie target, aim to hit that target while logging accurately. Eat a variety of nutrient dense foods, things like lean protein, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, healthy fats, etc. but don't get caught up on whether something is "clean" or not. Things that are processed can be part of a healthy diet. Even things like ice cream, pizza, and fast food can be consumed in moderation.

Well said. Diplomatic and to the point. Thumbs up.

How is this different to what I suggested the OP do?