Learning to eat clean , Tips

Options
13»

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If it didn't exist 100years ago, don't eat it.

Pizza, beer, and chocolate for the win!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Because it spikes insulin levels and blood sugar levels. You are going to burn that off through out the day. It is a great snack gives you energy for the day or for a workout. It is also a great source of fiber give some take some.

Huh? I've eaten fruit right before bed and have lost on target (100lbs, by the way). Metabolism runs 24/7.....
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Oreos were made 1912. All good!

I like you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    When I lost a ton of weight I initially cut out red meat and pork, fried foods, pastas, candy, and drinks other than water - I had Crystal Light and I did 30 mins of cardio 4 times a week. I ate grilled chicken breast, turkey, and fish and at a lot of veggies, salads, eggs, etc. I had a protein that was 4-5 oz, a cup of veggies and 2 oz of carbs....took a multi vitamin and fish oil....

Then I started reading more and getting educated more and open up myself to more foods as my discipline became better. I purchased an electronic food scale, food prepping containers, cute lunch bags and now enjoy beef and other foods.

You got this....Good luck!

Great post. You lost weight like many of us do. You recognized it as a process and learned as you went. Congratulations!

So many feel like they have to be perfect right from the beginning. You don't. What people should be is open and observant. See how your body it reacting to what you are doing and figure out ways to adjust. Ultimately you want to eat in a way that is both healthy and satisfying, physically AND mentally.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Because it spikes insulin levels and blood sugar levels. You are going to burn that off through out the day. It is a great snack gives you energy for the day or for a workout. It is also a great source of fiber give some take some.

Not necessarily true. Fresh whole fruits have a lot of fiber which slows the absorption and subsequent increase of blood sugar. That's why a piece of candy spikes blood sugar more than an apple: the candy has no fiber (or protein either typically) so it can be absorbed fast!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I like you.

Wonder Bread is only 96 years old so definitely off-limits :smile:
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    KrisJ125 wrote: »

Not necessarily true. Fresh whole fruits have a lot of fiber which slows the absorption and subsequent increase of blood sugar. That's why a piece of candy spikes blood sugar more than an apple: the candy has no fiber (or protein either typically) so it can be absorbed fast!
    Just to add to this, the glycemic index* is a way to describe how quickly a food raises blood sugar. The higher the glycemic index number, the quicker it raises blood sugar. Whole fresh fruit isn't especially high -for example, an apple is lower than most beans, starchy vegetables, or grains. Even if you're concerned about insulin spikes, an apple is not something to worry about. Other common fruits like oranges, peaches, pears, and bananas are comparable to grains and starchy vegetables.

So in response to the OP's question about what to eat, fresh fruit is fine to eat any time of day.

*There are several versions of the index - I'm looking at the Harvard University one.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

I like you.

amyepdx wrote: »

I like you.

We just have to wait four years and then it will be clean.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    First you have to figure out your definition of clean. I saw something the other day where someone was so proud of how clean they were eating and posted their food for the day and let's just say their definition was 100% different than mine. Which is fine. If you want to call a Twinkie clean and it fits your calories who am I to judge? (I can't remember the food - it wasn't really a Twinkie). Calories rule for weight loss, but if you like eating clean and it works for you then define what it means to you and work on incorporating those foods into your diet. I don't eat clean but I really like Tosca Reno's definition. She has several books, a web site, recipes etc. Google will get you to her if you're interested.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Checkout this blog. There are lots of good ideas about eating 'real food' on a daily basis. https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I find the ‘Hyper-palatable’ vs ‘low palatable’ foods discussion here more useful than the fuzzy concept of clean eating: https://medium.com/@aadamsnotes/when-if-it-fits-your-macros-becomes-if-it-fits-your-mouth-19e51d2e3d1e
  • johngacinski
    johngacinski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look into the Daniel Diet, which is a 21 day plan which completely cuts out leavened items, animal products, beverages other than water and processed sugars. I lost weight on it and felt cleansed and really healthy when I was done. I'm going to embark upon this plan again in a few weeks.