Treadmill vs. walking outside

Options
I was curious, what is better, walking/running on the treadmill or going out on the street to walk/run?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking/running outside is harder so will burn marginally more calories.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I use both.
    I have 2 kids. Ones disabled and the other is a high needs baby so running outside the way i was before i fell pregnant isnt an option.
    I use the treadmill afternoon/evening but i look forward to our weekend hikes in the great outdoors
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like Jenilla above said, running outside on concrete paths at least is hard on the joints without proper running shoes. Running/walking on trails is much easier. I can run barefoot on the treadmill but after 30 mins I have to stop as my soles start to get hot, so the treadmill is easier on the joints. On the flip side, the treadmill doesn't require you to push like running on the road, so it's easier and I assume burns less calories?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The advantage of the treadmill is that you can adjust the incline.. so I typically burn 30-80 more calories an hour on the treadmill vs outside. I can't run though, but I'm guessing it would be more calories too (unless you run steep trails or something - which I'm amazed people can do as I always feel I'm going to twist my ankle when I WALK them).

I do both - love my neighborhood walks (suburb with almost no traffic), love hiking, but it's nice and relaxing sometimes to just watch a TV show on the treadmill.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I love running outside best! I go on the road early morning before most people are out of bed! I love trail running, the only problem I have is my time. I don't feel comfortable running trails in the dark. I will use the treadmill on occasion, but I bore easily on it therefore a half hour is my max. So it's truly a personal preference!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Walking outside is better than walking on a treadmill. Not only is it better exercise, there are health reasons to get outside.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I will use the treadmill on occasion, but I bore easily on it therefore a half hour is my max.

This. The treadmill is a good alternative to walking outside when it's raining, but I'd rather gouge my eyes out than spend more than 45 minutes on the treadmill.

For this reason, if you use a treadmill DO take advantage of the incline, making the treadmill session slightly more difficult and thus burn slightly more calories. The Internet appears to suggest setting a 1-2% incline (depending on who you ask) to compensate for factors of walking outdoors.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill due to all the tv shows I get to catch up on and it's easier on the joints. But when I'm on vacation I'll jog outside since I won't have my tv in front of me haha. Outside is therapeutic though.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill. What I like about it:
    1. It is cushioned. I can run for far longer stints than I can outside.
    2. I'm protected from the weather
    3. I can catch up with TV shows via Netflix and Hulu. Holy sweet mother do I LOVE Breaking Bad.
    4. No bugs.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both... I prefer outside because the scenery is better, but the treadmill is nice during inclement weather.
  • jmormur
    jmormur Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. No worries about weather cancelling my exercise, no cars or pedestrians to dodge, and I can just concentrate on my music and run.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really like to run barefoot, so the treadmill is a safer option for me lol. I'm also very introverted so I have to push harder to convince myself to go outside where the people are. I find I run more when I can be alone in my space.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I hate walking or running on the treadmill so I would be unlikely to stick with it. Thankfully I love walking/hiking so go outdoors and always have motivation to do so.

Calorie-wise I would say it doesn't make that much difference unless you are really pushing yourself.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill. What I like about it:
    1. It is cushioned. I can run for far longer stints than I can outside.
    2. I'm protected from the weather
    3. I can catch up with TV shows via Netflix and Hulu. Holy sweet mother do I LOVE Breaking Bad.
    4. No bugs.

Yep. I HATE bugs.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    I will use the treadmill on occasion, but I bore easily on it therefore a half hour is my max.

This. The treadmill is a good alternative to walking outside when it's raining, but I'd rather gouge my eyes out than spend more than 45 minutes on the treadmill.

For this reason, if you use a treadmill DO take advantage of the incline, making the treadmill session slightly more difficult and thus burn slightly more calories. The Internet appears to suggest setting a 1-2% incline (depending on who you ask) to compensate for factors of walking outdoors.

A caveat. The best study I've seen on the subject shows the difference between the two is marginal, until one hits ~7mph. Only then would you need the incline to compensate for lack of wind resistance.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Personally I would find a track or go outside...
    Running excessively on either sidewalks or treadmill surfaces however will eventually cause injury
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. I get horrible shin splints on the treadmill, so I train outside.