Super fun and ez way to make your own yougurt!

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Does it come out strong like homemade butter and cheese does? Or not as strong because sweet milk is used rather than 'turned' cream? Can you use raw milk?
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Specific reason for plastic bottle, or could I use a glass jar?
  • TheAlexMarkov
    TheAlexMarkov Posts: 23 Member
    Hi,
    yes you can use raw milk - even better as it has more nutrients;
    When you say strength I presume flavour and not thickness - IME the flavour of the final product depends on the starter culture - I used FAGE full fat as a starter; you can experiment with different brands
    You can controll the thickness by varying the time you simmer the milk - the longer the thicker the yougurt will be.
    Use plastic or jar bottle but not metal to avoid contaminating the bacteria.

Once you get going you can make yougurt forever and ever by using your previous batch as a starter:)

Hope you like it,
    Alex
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    I've used milk with less fat in yogurt. It comes out a little thinner, but works.

I make skyr every so often in the Instant Pot. It's a similar process, only I add rennet tablets and leave it to incubate longer.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I make skyr every so often in the Instant Pot. It's a similar process, only I add rennet tablets and leave it to incubate longer.

I've just discovered Siggi's yogurt and am a convert to skyr. Amazing stuff!! I ordered some rennet and will be making my own soon.

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I make it often in the Instant Pot with skim milk. I strain off a bunch of whey to make it Greek.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Use plastic or jar bottle but not metal to avoid contaminating the bacteria.

and wash it hot first. i made a couple of batches that didn't kill me, but there was this yeasty/beery thing going on when i skipped doing that. i keep mine sealed all the time it's setting too, to make sure.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    You can also use a non-dairy milk by thickening it with 1 tbsp of tapioca starch (make a slurry with it like you would with cornstarch) per cup of milk, adding a little honey or maple syrup to sweeten, and opening a probiotic capsule into it.
  • thelotusqueen
    thelotusqueen Posts: 4 Member
    I just boil milk in a large stainless steel vessel and let it cool. Test the temperature by dipping your clean finger into the milk. It should be warm, neither too hot nor cold. Then I add the yogurt. For half a gallon of milk I add 5-6 tbsp of plain whole milk yogurt. Give it a good stir and cover it with a lid. Leave it undisturbed in a warm place for 6 hours.
  • TheAlexMarkov
    Heyy,
    so cool to see so many yougurt enthusiast - I forgot to post macros (in case you wonder):
    100g:5C/8P/4F

Sweet ratios - i always look for yougurt that has 2:1 protein:carb ratio,hence FAGE:)

I consume this delicious God-made concoction pre-bed time as casein protein is slow digesting and will help me build lean mass during sleeeeeep.

Enjoy folks,
    Alex
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I bought myself a yogurt maker (since I'm lazy and like gadgets). Homemade yogurt is just amazing!!!! I absolutely love it.

You can use lower fat milk, but it makes the yogurt slightly more acidic (tarter taste).
    Personally, I prefer full fat milk and a greek yogurt as starter. Currently trying to see how long I can recycle my homemade yogurt as starter :smile:

I go through a batch of 7 in about 3 days :flushed: You can guess that I like yogurt :tongue:
  • TheAlexMarkov
    Hi Lady Reva,
    Awesome - you can use your own yougurt foreeeeeever - I am on year 3: :D
    Alex
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    That's good to know!

I've spent the first month testing different varieties to see which I liked best. I've only now started recycling my own :smile:

I love preparing a batch in the evening and getting up to a freshly made yogurt.
  • TheAlexMarkov
    Awesome
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Question about boiling the milk, how do you keep it from scorching?
    I am really interested in trying this, thanks for posting.
  • TheAlexMarkov
    Hi 3rdof7sisters,
    are you really 3 of 7 - kidding:)

It is a fun project for those who love to make things - to avoid scorching set on med; in 10 min keep an eye on it as will boil over; I personally don't use lids and the milk never rises too much.

Hope this helps,
    Alex
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Yeah, I really am the 3rd of 7 sisters, no brothers. :)

Thx Alex! It helps a lot. I have stainless steel pots & pans. Do you think it would be beneficial to buy a non-stick pan to use exclusively for making yogurt? I have a beer cheese soup recipe, which is milk based, that took me years to perfect, so I know a little bit about scorched milk LOL
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    I do one gallon whole milk a week and strain for Greek. I use stainless steeel pan pan and a thermometer to watch the temp. I was taught never to let it boil. I get it to 180 degrees then cool it in ice water to just under 120 degrees before adding to yogurt. Then stick it in the oven with the light on to incubate.

Going to look up skyr now.
  • TheAlexMarkov
    Yes I guess you can invest in non-stick - or just scrape the old one; whatever works for you. :)

Alex
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    My directions are heat to 180, cool to 110, add starter, incubate. My Instant Pot is stainless steel; the thing with milk is to heat it slowly and stir it fairly often. To get it thicker without adding extra ingredients, keep it at 180-185 for about 5 minutes before cooling. The recipe I use uses 2 tablespoons of starter yogurt/gallon of milk, and incubates 10 hours. Incubating for a shorter time will make a less tangy yogurt, but I find what I've got very mild (might be the starter, which was just some Oikos I had in the fridge).

Anyone considering buying a yogurt maker, definitely get an Instant Pot instead. Yogurt maker, plus rice cooker, plus generally awesome pressure cooker. I impulse bought on Black Friday and I love it. Makes dried beans to cooked in about an hour.