Super fun and ez way to make your own yougurt!

Replies

• TheAlexMarkov
    TheAlexMarkov Posts: 23 Member
    Hi Anna,
    thanks for sharing
    Alex
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    My directions are heat to 180, cool to 110, add starter, incubate. My Instant Pot is stainless steel; the thing with milk is to heat it slowly and stir it fairly often. To get it thicker without adding extra ingredients, keep it at 180-185 for about 5 minutes before cooling. The recipe I use uses 2 tablespoons of starter yogurt/gallon of milk, and incubates 10 hours. Incubating for a shorter time will make a less tangy yogurt, but I find what I've got very mild (might be the starter, which was just some Oikos I had in the fridge).

Anyone considering buying a yogurt maker, definitely get an Instant Pot instead. Yogurt maker, plus rice cooker, plus generally awesome pressure cooker. I impulse bought on Black Friday and I love it. Makes dried beans to cooked in about an hour.
    So set the IP to sauté for five minutes or just leave the inner pot in the IP?

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    My directions are heat to 180, cool to 110, add starter, incubate. My Instant Pot is stainless steel; the thing with milk is to heat it slowly and stir it fairly often. To get it thicker without adding extra ingredients, keep it at 180-185 for about 5 minutes before cooling. The recipe I use uses 2 tablespoons of starter yogurt/gallon of milk, and incubates 10 hours. Incubating for a shorter time will make a less tangy yogurt, but I find what I've got very mild (might be the starter, which was just some Oikos I had in the fridge).

Anyone considering buying a yogurt maker, definitely get an Instant Pot instead. Yogurt maker, plus rice cooker, plus generally awesome pressure cooker. I impulse bought on Black Friday and I love it. Makes dried beans to cooked in about an hour.
    So set the IP to sauté for five minutes or just leave the inner pot in the IP?
    I just hit the "boil" cycle two times, generally. The second cycle keeps it at temp for a few minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Wait, to make yogurt, you add yogurt in this recipe? What's the point then?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It saves me some cash on skyr.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member

To make more?

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    edited April 2017
    7lenny7 wrote: »

To make more?

Seriously
    1 150 gram tub is Siggi's is 1.50- I get four initial starters
    The rennet tablets I bought were 1.97 and gives me 32 batches
    Half a gallon of milk is 1.47 here

I end up with 700+ grams of home made skyr for less than two bucks. You can save some of what you made for next time! I'll do this up to 5 times (someone on the IP forums recommended this to prevent a runny batch) per initial starter.
  • annacole94

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

2 Tbsp of yogurt per gallon of milk. Then I freeze two tablespoons for next time. Yogurt is cultured milk - you have to introduce the culture to get it to be yogurt rather than sour milk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member

To make more?

Seriously

I end up with 700+ grams of home made skyr for less than two bucks. You can save some of what you made for next time! I'll do this up to 5 times (someone on the IP forums recommended this to prevent a runny batch) per initial starter.
    Okay, you save a little more with the time you put in. If I get a 32 ounce Dannon light and fit it's $3.29 (896 grams). But then again, I don't have to make or store it, so I'd forego the savings personally for the convenience.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• annacole94
    It's perfectly valid to buy it for convenience. I enjoy making things, so I make them. I also don't like weird things in my yogurt, so it's nice to control ingredients by doing it at home. I find homemade has a milder taste than many store brands. And I get whey to use in making bread.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds

To make more?

Seriously

Okay, you save a little more with the time you put in. If I get a 32 ounce Dannon light and fit it's $3.29 (896 grams). But then again, I don't have to make or store it, so I'd forego the savings personally for the convenience.
    Skyr would cost double. As for storing, I repurposed an old candy tub.

It's fun and hands off enough for me to continue doing. I completely understand just buying a tub though. Personally, I love salads but loath the idea of making one at home.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    All my attempts to strain my home made yogurt have been a huge fail. What sort of strainer do you use, how do you set it up, and how long does it take?

I want some liquid whey to try in a recipe.
  • annacole94
    jgnatca wrote: »
    All my attempts to strain my home made yogurt have been a huge fail. What sort of strainer do you use, how do you set it up, and how long does it take?

Cheesecloth folded so there's about four layers in my regular colander (like I use for pasta). I put the cheesecloth in, put all the yogurt in (my colander will *just barely* hold a gallon), put that back on top of a large bowl or the instant pot insert, and put it back in the fridge for 4-6 hours. When I use skim milk, it ends up about 8 cups greek yogurt/8 cups whey. Higher fat milk yields more yogurt and less whey.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds

I found something that looks like this at the dollar store. Some people use coffee filters.

You can buy something like this too.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Question about boiling the milk, how do you keep it from scorching?
    I am really interested in trying this, thanks for posting.

i stir mine. there may be more new-school solutions, but i've worked out a nice little routine where my saturday morning is a nice peaceful period of making yogurt and bread, so i'm in the neighbourhood anyway. every 10 minutes or so, though the more aggressive you are with bringing it up to that heat, the more often it probably needs to be stirred.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

i had this old laundry bag that tore through, some kind of air-breathing weave that's pretty tight. i used that the one time i did it, but it's not something i do a lot of.

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member

Cheesecloth folded so there's about four layers in my regular colander (like I use for pasta). I put the cheesecloth in, put all the yogurt in (my colander will *just barely* hold a gallon), put that back on top of a large bowl or the instant pot insert, and put it back in the fridge for 4-6 hours. When I use skim milk, it ends up about 8 cups greek yogurt/8 cups whey. Higher fat milk yields more yogurt and less whey.

I use flour sack towels, like these https://www.towelsandhome.com/flour-sacks/what-are-flour-sack-towels.html.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Hi all, I have been making cashew milk yogurt. It is not thick but does turn out with a yogurt flavor so hopefully the probiotics are alive in there. I'll try boiling it longer and also use the tapioca flour thickener next time and see if that helps. It's unsweetened cashew milk so I add touch if sugar so the culture can grow. A half gallon fits in two large mason jars in a small yogurt making warm plate. I use it over cereal and have had great success improving my digestion with it:) ! Cool idea to open a probiotic capsule into it. I'll try that too!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Hi all, I have been making cashew milk yogurt. It is not thick but does turn out with a yogurt flavor so hopefully the probiotics are alive in there. I'll try boiling it longer and also use the tapioca flour thickener next time and see if that helps. It's unsweetened cashew milk so I add touch if sugar so the culture can grow. A half gallon fits in two large mason jars in a small yogurt making warm plate. I use it over cereal and have had great success improving my digestion with it:) ! Cool idea to open a probiotic capsule into it. I'll try that too!

thanks for posting I was wondering if this would work with cashew milk!!! What brand of yogurt do you add to make it grow?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Thank you all for explaining the filters. If I recall the thickened yogurt clogged up my cheesecloth and it was a bear trying to scrape it all out. Plus there was still liquid unstrained yogurt in the center. Thanks for the strainer ideas.

I think I will try a milk with more fat next time.