Iceberg vs Romaine Lettuce!

Hi,
amazing how nutrient dense romaine lettuce can be!
Thanks
Alexpk0ic0pcvidk.png

Replies

• jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    I think romaine stays fresher longer too. I dunno, is it just me?
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    I've been branching out in the lettuce department and my current favorite is leaf lettuce. Just picked up some kale/butter lettuce mix though and will be trying butter lettuce for the first time today :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yaay! Romaine is my favorite. Iceberg is tasteless and romaine stores better anyway.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    More importantly, romaine lettuce actually has taste
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Yea iceberg doesn't really have much taste to me either, but it is great wrapped around a burger instead of a bun. Makes for some great crunch.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2017
    I despise iceberg lettuce and only buy it when it is the only fresh looking lettuce available (so... pretty much never). I prefer baby spinach, butter lettuce, romaine, kale, spring mix... But for me it is 100% about flavour and the nutrition thing is just a nice bonus.

Some weeks I end up using less of the greens than I had planned when I grocery shop, and the heartier greens can be frozen and tossed into smoothies or soups (spinach and kale are my favourite for this) but iceberg turns into a slimy, stringy mess when you try to freeze it or cook it. So even though they are a little pricier, it's a better investment.
  • k_e_l
    k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
    I love the hearts of red leaf romaine I got from Walmart. Its already washed & so crisp!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    edited April 2017
    The Wedge Salad isn't the same with any other lettuce, just sayin'.

Yeah, but it's really just a vehicle for the bacon and blue cheese, right? :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I took a nutrition class in college. The instructor called iceburg lettuce just crunchy water. I have never forgotten. So many other lettuce types to waste your time eating crunchy water.
  • TheAlexMarkov
    TheAlexMarkov Posts: 23 Member
    Heyyy, look at all these people loving real lettuce - sweet!
    Alex
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I love romaine but I also buy iceberg and I combine the two for a huge salad. I agree with above poster iceberg has crunch.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    I grow my own veg and I'm very surprised iceberg even has what's listed. Iceburg lettuce is nutritionally naff and tastes horrible and shop bought ones can't imagine how bad they must be.

I love the butter and leaf types
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    I don't know how people eat iceberg lettuce. A little part of me dies when I see someone suffering through and iceberg lettuce salad at lunch...
  • TheAlexMarkov
    TheAlexMarkov Posts: 23 Member
    Some really cool people here - hmm just smashed the gym, salad time+chicken+turkey+more chicken..hehe
    Thanks
    Alex
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    I absolutely hate iceberg, most people I know don't understand why, they look at blankly as I tell them there is no real nutritional value to it. I rather have something more flavorful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    fascha wrote: »
    I'm partial to spring mix but I absolutely hate iceberg lettuce unless it's a burger topping.

Iceberg has a nice crunch and is good in the occasional wedge for that reason, but I think it's rare that anyone considers it especially nutrient-dense.

Anyway, mostly adding this to your post to agree about spring mix. My personal favorite is just to mix spinach and arugula, although I vary it depending on the greens I have on hand and the taste I want. (A kale salad can even be good sometimes.)