Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Iceberg vs Romaine Lettuce!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've been branching out in the lettuce department and my current favorite is leaf lettuce. Just picked up some kale/butter lettuce mix though and will be trying butter lettuce for the first time today :)

I love butter lettuce.

I actually don't care for romaine much, I think it's boring and like most other greens better, but like everyone else I get romaine all the time as it seems to be quite common if you buy a salad.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I eat almost any lettuce as long as it isn't shredded. I loathe shredded lettuce.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    <pedant> Why is the "Iceberg" first in the title of the graphic, when the column on the left, including the photo, is the Romaine? I don't think these are called the same thing internationally, necessarily, even in English-speaking countries. </pedant>.

Romaine is also easier to grow - a little more heat-tolerant, among other things.

I'd rather eat romaine, too, but iceberg has plenty enough nutrition for its number of calories. It just doesn't taste as good or have as pleasant a texture.

Leaf and butterhead (Boston/bibb) type lettuces are also nice, not to mention all those other kinds of yummy salad greens.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Heyyy, look at all these people loving real lettuce - sweet!
    Alex

Where's the fake lettuce?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    To hell with lettuce. I prefer spinach. Fills me up better, tastes better.

It lasts a lot longer in the fridge, too.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I mix them - romaine for the taste and iceberg for the crunch. But you are right - I too have always thought of iceberg lettuce as crunchy water!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Heyyy, look at all these people loving real lettuce - sweet!
    Alex

Where's the fake lettuce?

http://www.thekitchn.com/look-at-how-these-crazy-fake-foods-are-made-in-japan-221381
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2017
    Raw spinach is my favorite vegetable. Baby raw carrots are good too, but they don't agree with my TMJ.
    yayamom3 wrote: »

It lasts a lot longer in the fridge, too.
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/freshworks-produce-saver-green
    Honestly, I have one of these for cut vegetables and it's been working wonders. Though, I don't think Rubbermaid recommends cutting or washing the produce. I'm thinking of picking up the 23 dollar value pack at Wal Mart.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Eh, I eat both. Sure, iceberg doesn't have much nutritional value but it's also so few calories, who cares?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Eh, I eat both. Sure, iceberg doesn't have much nutritional value but it's also so few calories, who cares?

Seriously! I cant wrap my head around why anyone would give a *kitten* about what kind of lettuce I eat? smh
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I really like all lettuces including iceberg. My husband has IBS and deep leafy lettuces are definitely a trigger for him so we mostly eat salads with iceberg. I do like to throw in some butter lettuce and that seems to be ok for him.

I have to admit, as much as I love romaine, it does mess with me (I have IBS). Buying hearts of romaine helps sometimes because they're not as green.

I dearly miss leaf lettuces. I love red leaf and green leaf.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I took a nutrition class in college. The instructor called iceburg lettuce just crunchy water. I have never forgotten. So many other lettuce types to waste your time eating crunchy water.

What's wrong with crunchy water?
    471-107809-otg_snow_cone_300x300.png

But a lettuce flavored snowcone doesn't sound very yummy...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I really like all lettuces including iceberg. My husband has IBS and deep leafy lettuces are definitely a trigger for him so we mostly eat salads with iceberg. I do like to throw in some butter lettuce and that seems to be ok for him.

I have to admit, as much as I love romaine, it does mess with me (I have IBS). Buying hearts of romaine helps sometimes because they're not as green.

Really? Lettuce causes you IBS issues? Geez. You sound like you have it worse than my wife (and she has a lot of food issues).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2017

Really? Lettuce causes you IBS issues? Geez. You sound like you have it worse than my wife (and she has a lot of food issues).

Dark leafy greens. Raw. Yup. To be honest, I have to be careful with a lot of raw vegetables. I can't eat cruciferous veggies raw, they cause me problems too. Which grieves me terribly. I adore coleslaw. If I want to use broccoli or cauliflower for crudites, I need to blanch them.