What's your though on the Blood Type Diet

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    I found a research report that showed each version of diet was effective as a diet, but there was no special connection to your blood type. It's just a fad approach that may help one psychologically in restricting their calories in.

edit: found the link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3893150/

I am annoyed that some researcher thought assigning diets by blood type was potentially valid enough to spend time and money testing the hypothesis. Or maybe there's a real need for ABO diet debunking in Canada?

I think valid research that debunks pseudoscience fad diets is in the public interest, much better than some of the money thrown at climate change research (i"m all for valid climate research but much has been wasted). Grad students need something to work on.

Sometimes I worry about the potential effect of legitimizing the obviously ridiculous by ever giving it a stage next to real science because then the purveyors of that which is clearly hokum will use the fact that they got a seat at the table, a place in the debate with real scientists, or an actual study commissioned as a wedge to try and say that what they're doing is anything other than fantasy.

It's a double-edged sword in many cases. If you don't refute them (and spend time and money and effort to let them on the stage so you can) they scream that science is afraid of them. If you do, they claim they got their place on the stage because they're "real science" too.

This.

Plus, when you put forward a hypothesis for testing, it is supposed to have some basis. Either a pilot study was done that showed some trends worth validating, or your hypothesis is consistent with known mechanisms, something. It shouldn't be a complete WAG (wild *kitten* guess).

If you submit such a thing for funding, the grant review agency (or perhaps in this case the Primary Investigator) should step in and say, "Not a chance. Try again."

I'm teaching a grad student now. She passed her prelims this past year, which includes writing and defending a mock grant proposal for her intended thesis work. If I'd let her pursue a hypothesis that makes as little sense as this, she'd have failed miserably and I'd have been in for it as well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I found a research report that showed each version of diet was effective as a diet, but there was no special connection to your blood type. It's just a fad approach that may help one psychologically in restricting their calories in.

I am annoyed that some researcher thought assigning diets by blood type was potentially valid enough to spend time and money testing the hypothesis. Or maybe there's a real need for ABO diet debunking in Canada?

I think valid research that debunks pseudoscience fad diets is in the public interest, much better than some of the money thrown at climate change research (i"m all for valid climate research but much has been wasted). Grad students need something to work on.

Sometimes I worry about the potential effect of legitimizing the obviously ridiculous by ever giving it a stage next to real science because then the purveyors of that which is clearly hokum will use the fact that they got a seat at the table, a place in the debate with real scientists, or an actual study commissioned as a wedge to try and say that what they're doing is anything other than fantasy.

It's a double-edged sword in many cases. If you don't refute them (and spend time and money and effort to let them on the stage so you can) they scream that science is afraid of them. If you do, they claim they got their place on the stage because they're "real science" too.

And if, like homeopathy, many studies are done and none of them show any positive outcomes, they'll just say "research isn't yet conclusive" and more should be done.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Might as well eat for your hair color, OP.

Come to think of it there's probably a fad diet for that.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member

This.

Plus, when you put forward a hypothesis for testing, it is supposed to have some basis. Either a pilot study was done that showed some trends worth validating, or your hypothesis is consistent with known mechanisms, something. It shouldn't be a complete WAG (wild *kitten* guess).

If you submit such a thing for funding, the grant review agency (or perhaps in this case the Primary Investigator) should step in and say, "Not a chance. Try again."

I'm teaching a grad student now. She passed her prelims this past year, which includes writing and defending a mock grant proposal for her intended thesis work. If I'd let her pursue a hypothesis that makes as little sense as this, she'd have failed miserably and I'd have been in for it as well.

Don't even get me started on how these woo postulations completely screw up the entire basis of testing - falsifiability and the null hypothesis - and then pat themselves on the back for being OMG SO SMRT.

And if, like homeopathy, many studies are done and none of them show any positive outcomes, they'll just say "research isn't yet conclusive" and more should be done.

They also suppose that any positive outcome is related to the treatment, which when it comes to actual homeopathic "remedies" are literally water.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Blood type diet is total bogus - a number of people here have eaten according to their blood type only to find that really they were mistaken on their bloodtype Yet they felt great on "their"bloottype diet - just search the boards - it becomes highly entertaining at times.

The only thing it does is change your eating habits If then you are in a deficit you loose weight. In the end it comes down to CICO.
    Now note some people do have medical issues that can and sometimes can be addressed by diet - Bloodtype ain't one of them
    It seems like the magic feather diet. Eat a balanced diet with fewer calories, and carry your magic feather at all times. Bam - the weight melts right off.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicFeather
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Blood type diet is total bogus - a number of people here have eaten according to their blood type only to find that really they were mistaken on their bloodtype Yet they felt great on "their"bloottype diet - just search the boards - it becomes highly entertaining at times.

The only thing it does is change your eating habits If then you are in a deficit you loose weight. In the end it comes down to CICO.
    Now note some people do have medical issues that can and sometimes can be addressed by diet - Bloodtype ain't one of them
    It seems like the magic feather diet. Eat a balanced diet with fewer calories, and carry your magic feather at all times. Bam - the weight melts right off.

Awesome. And it reminded me of this, from the late, great Brunching Shuttlecocks:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/135747
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member

It is indeed very very similar :smiley:

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    @r0ot5 I'm curious what your coach had to say, or it if went any further.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Dr. Oz has interviewed this guy, that alone tells me everything I need to know. :D

Dr. Oz is supposedly a very good cardiac surgeon, but he is not a scientist and knows very little about anything else medical.

Surgeons are kind of like mechanics, in that they can fix all kind of stuff that's wrong with your insides by opening you up and manipulating the parts around, but they are definitely not automotive engineers.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Dr. Oz has interviewed this guy, that alone tells me everything I need to know. :D

Dr. Oz is supposedly a very good cardiac surgeon, but he is not a scientist and knows very little about anything else medical.

Surgeons are kind of like mechanics, in that they can fix all kind of stuff that's wrong with your insides by opening you up and manipulating the parts around, but they are definitely not automotive engineers.

There is no excuse for some of the stuff Oz pushes. He's more than qualified to read and understand the relevant legitimate research.
  • r0ot5
    r0ot5 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks all four your feedback.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    What are you going to do with the feedback?
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Trust the process that's working for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member

Ossum!

In the context of diets, I've always called that the Special K phenomenon, after the small print on the back of Special K boxes, which used to say that a study had found participants lost weight eating Special K for breakfast as part of a calorie controlled diet. I rather think that magic feather diet sounds so much more withering, so I think I'll be calling them that from now on.

• cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2017
    I would be more inclined to get my DNA test done and it shows what foods are good and bad for your specific DNA makeup.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

@Theo166 thanks for the great link. I had wondered about that way of eating. I expect the diet works because one starts to focus on getting healthy and I think that may be factual about most diets.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    cdkelly wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to get my DNA test done and it shows what foods are good and bad for your specific DNA makeup.

these tests are almost as hit and miss as the blood-type diet...

http://www.livescience.com/15137-genetic-test-lose-weight.html
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    I asked my doc about it and she told me to throw the book in the garbage. I was using it and felt like I loss weight but she did not agree. Her reply anything a person decreases food intake and eats better with exercise 3-4 days a week, a individual will lose lbs. confession, I still have the book but don't reply on it for dieting.