What is your pace for walking?

Options
2»

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    20 min mile with a personal best of a 17 min mile.

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would say 3.0-3.5 mph is the general walking speed for average people.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Between 3 and 3.5mph walking for exercise. I have short legs and a rather short stride (hip issues)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    2.5 - 3.0 mph. I know, I'm slow as *kitten*.

However, most of the time when I'm walking, I've got my nose in a book, so that accounts for some of the slow pace.

However, I'm baffled by people who can walk at 4 or 5 mph.. that's jogging for me, lol.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    4 to 4.5 mph. I can't walk at any other speed. Then again, I'm from NYC so it's most likely ingrained in me at this point.

Ditto on that! I lived in NYC for 14 years and anything less than a 4.0 feels like a crawl. I also stand in the street while waiting to cross, jaywalk, and walk in the street when the sidewalks are too crowded :) I miss a lot of things about NYC, but I don't miss the crowded streets.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Probably average 3.2 even though I walk a lot. I wish my pace was more of a 4.0, but I just don't have the stride for that, and I have officially moved on into the acceptance phase...

I hear you. My legs are so short that walking at those speeds just won't happen as I have to take so many more steps than the average person to reach the same distance. Fortunately it means I am working out harder than the average person walking my speeds so it isn't all bed.
  • VictoriousBeauty
    VictoriousBeauty Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    snail pace ;-)
    sorry couldnt resist :-)
    xoxox
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Depends on the walk - 10k or less on flat(ish) terrain then will aim for 10 min per KM. Hill walking I don't measure due to walking with a group who all walk at different rates and need different breaks.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If I'm making a point of hurrying along, about 3.5 mph. Otherwise about 3.0. But if I'm strolling it's more like 2.5. I got a sense of my pace by walking on a treadmill and noting how it felt.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    17.5 - 18 min mile on flat. About 3.7 mph on treadmill. Hills? All bets are off :o