Gaining weight over the past week and it's depressing me!

Options
124»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Don't stress. Have a couple of charts--one of weight, the other of calorie intake over the same period (target 1670):

iseivs1rxbht.png

tqzoberhzmha.png
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    creyes4182 wrote: »
    https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml

That is not a study. That is a you tube link with a lot of mis information in it by a debunked Dr.

That was just the last video I saw on it, there are many more sources. The OP can do whatever she wants, I going from my personal experience eating whatever you want and staying under calories will lead to malnourishment. You can either eat a chicken salad or a slice of cake, if you honestly think you're body will get what it needs from the cake and it's ok because it's the same amount of calories then there's no point in arguing. We're not going to change each others minds.

I did the low calorie thing. I was 330 and got down to 280. My body ached all over, even my joints and bones ached. When I couldn't take it anymore I stopped I shot up to 350 in a fraction of the time it took me to lose the weight. I tried low carb and my health issues went away(high blood pressure, cholesterol, the aches in my bones and I was prediabetic before). I went down to 230 got comfortable and decided to try carbs again. Not eating in excess mind you I was actually eating vegan and I shot up to 280 in a little over 2 months.

I got back on the low carb train and the weight loss is steady and I'm not losing strength or getting any aches. Plus after you detox from the sugar you stop getting carb cravings so it's not as bad as you think. All that said she said her approach wasn't working right? I only made a suggestion so what would it hurt to cut back on the sugar to see what happens?

Why are you assuming that if someone eats the foods they like, they will only eat cake? Why are you assuming that the advice to eat the foods you enjoy doesn't include meeting your nutritional goals (which, by the way, can be done while sometimes having cake)?

And "eating in excess" and being vegan aren't mutually exclusive states. Vegans can consume more energy than they burn -- vegans gain and lose weight the exact same way as all humans do, based on their calories in versus their calories out?
    She said she was eating whatever and was wondering why she wasn't losing weight. I never said this is why, it was just a suggestion. Why do people get so defensive? I was responding to the person that said there's no need to watch your sugar and bread intake. All I said was try reducing sugar and bread. Use those calories that are freed up for more nutritious things. Cut out soda and juice, drink more water. Try it for a few weeks if that doesn't work then go back to what you were doing. I cut out sugar and got rid of a bunch of medical issues. And you can be skinny and still have diabetes and other medical issues. Just because eating low calorie makes you thinner it doesn't mean it makes you healthier.

She never said she was only eating cake so I have no idea why you used that as an example.
    Doesn't matter if it's cake, pizza, or ice cream. I think I already said I was responding to the you don't need to watch your sugar and bread intake. And take a minute to think about what your arguing. Your arguing against cutting back on sugar and eating cleaner. You can get thinner eating junk but that does not mean your improving your health. Sweets are ok if you have left over calories. There's a huge difference between eating what your body needs and what you want to eat. I never said to do what I did. I said to limit the sugar intake. Don't know why I have to keep repeating myself.

I'm not arguing against someone eating "cleaner" (a relatively meaningless term) or cutting back on sugar if that is what they want to do. I'm arguing against your (unproven) claim that OP needs to do those things in order to lose weight.

Your default assumption is that someone who isn't eating clean isn't meeting their nutritional needs. But that's not true. I don't eat "clean," yet I regularly meet or exceed my needs. People who eat what they like aren't just eating cake and ice cream all the time. Maybe that is what you would eat if you ate what you liked, but that isn't what people here are advocating.

People are questioning your advice because you aren't making a very good case for it. OP will likely have much better results by focusing on what is important for weight loss -- calories.

If you're reading this as people saying "Don't meet your nutritional needs," that says much more about *you* than it does about anything else.
    Dude I said it like every time I replied to you. I was responding to the " no need to watch sugar and bread" comment made by another person. You keep ignoring that. Op was vague in what she ate so I made a suggestion. I never said that's what she had to do. You seem to be projecting. Also there's a history behind calories in calories out. Maybe look into that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Technically it's calories in calories out you should be ok in the long run. But I find I get better results if I manage my macros. For example I need to maintain my muscle mass so I can't go under a certain amount of protein so I have to eat eggs, meats, nuts. I don't want to trigger an insulin spike so I don't go over a certain amount of carbs so I limit my carbs to green leafy veggies. Whatever I have left over is for "healthy" fats like coconut/olive oil, avocados, nuts etc. You don't have to go that extreme but every time you have too many carbs you trigger an insulin spike. The insulin grabs the exesss glucose from your blood stream and stores it as fat. It has to do that because too much glucose could kill you or put you in a coma. So my approach is avoid that spike and you avoid storing fat. Try cutting down on the sugar/bread and try eating more veggies and chicken. Fats and protein don't cause spikes.

It is calories in vs calories out as that is how are bodies work. Simple science.

All food including protein and fats create an insulin spike.

Nothing can store as fat whilst eating at a deficit.

Too much water can also kill you.

There is no need to avoid sugar or bread.

Didn't say to cut them out completely I said to cut down on them. Sugar does a crazy amount of damage to your body. You have too much and you end up with type 2 diabetes. Doctors say your not suppose to go over a certain amount of sugar in a day. And guess what if you have one can of soda you've already gone over the daily "safe" limit as recommended by doctors(37g of sugar). Breads, pastas, even milk all have sugar. Simple carbs all turn into glucose and cause a spike. And no protein and fats don't spike anything. Complex carbs are fine since they digest slower and also don't cause a spike.

I used to consume boat loads of sugar when I was younger. Im talking a 12 pack a pop sometimes in one day,all kinds of candy,cookies,breads,etc. guess what? I dont have diabetes and Im not prediabetic either.. I was not the healthiest eater,even in my mid 20s I drank a lot of pop(soda). so by what you are saying I should be diabetic.I was thin then too never became overweight until I hit my 30s. still no health issues and I still eat a lot of those things and very little soda now. all my markers including my cholesterol are good.
  • creyes4182
    Options
    Technically it's calories in calories out you should be ok in the long run. But I find I get better results if I manage my macros. For example I need to maintain my muscle mass so I can't go under a certain amount of protein so I have to eat eggs, meats, nuts. I don't want to trigger an insulin spike so I don't go over a certain amount of carbs so I limit my carbs to green leafy veggies. Whatever I have left over is for "healthy" fats like coconut/olive oil, avocados, nuts etc. You don't have to go that extreme but every time you have too many carbs you trigger an insulin spike. The insulin grabs the exesss glucose from your blood stream and stores it as fat. It has to do that because too much glucose could kill you or put you in a coma. So my approach is avoid that spike and you avoid storing fat. Try cutting down on the sugar/bread and try eating more veggies and chicken. Fats and protein don't cause spikes.

It is calories in vs calories out as that is how are bodies work. Simple science.

Didn't say to cut them out completely I said to cut down on them. Sugar does a crazy amount of damage to your body. You have too much and you end up with type 2 diabetes. Doctors say your not suppose to go over a certain amount of sugar in a day. And guess what if you have one can of soda you've already gone over the daily "safe" limit as recommended by doctors(37g of sugar). Breads, pastas, even milk all have sugar. Simple carbs all turn into glucose and cause a spike. And no protein and fats don't spike anything. Complex carbs are fine since they digest slower and also don't cause a spike.

I used to consume boat loads of sugar when I was younger. Im talking a 12 pack a pop sometimes in one day,all kinds of candy,cookies,breads,etc. guess what? I dont have diabetes and Im not prediabetic either.. I was not the healthiest eater,even in my mid 20s I drank a lot of pop(soda). so by what you are saying I should be diabetic.I was thin then too never became overweight until I hit my 30s. still no health issues and I still eat a lot of those things and very little soda now. all my markers including my cholesterol are good.
    I know people that smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and lived well passed their hundreds. What's your point? You have good genes? Diabetes is an epidemic right now, I mean it's good for you that you don't have problem with sugar. But what's the harm in suggesting someone eat less of it?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

The bolded is not true. Excess weight is usually what causes Type 2 Diabetes. Excess calories from whatever is what generally causes diabetes.
  • creyes4182
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »

The bolded is not true. Excess weight is usually what causes Type 2 Diabetes. Excess calories from whatever is what generally causes diabetes.

Sure, and they got that way by eating excessive amounts of broccoli.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You obviously didn't gain 3 lbs of fat in a week eating 1600 calories/day. Salt levels and TOM can have a huge impact on weight, plus whether you had a good #2 just before weighing.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning and stick with MFP recommendations for a month, focus on tracking your calories and meal planning at the start.

• strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I started at the beginning of March, I lost like 2lbs right away and then I gained 5lbs (which put me at 3lbs over what I started) and I couldn't lose that extra weight for a long time, but I just stuck to it and within the course of the next month I went down 10lbs total.

I'm kind stuck again though. I keep losing and gaining the same 2lbs over and over again and I haven't had any real changes in my weight since April started. I'm guessing it's water weight but it's really getting on my nerves at this point. Just stay or go dang it!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Just look at this--
    zac0p1z4c8fz.png
    Calm down. Slow and steady wins the race.

Heather were your gains with you eating the same amount of calories?

That's her point--they're not really "gains." At least not in the way you're thinking about them.

My weight can fluctuate up to five pounds form day to day. Depends on what I ate, how much, how much sodium, exercise, bowel movements, hormones ....

Weight-loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay with it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I know people that smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and lived well passed their hundreds. What's your point? You have good genes? Diabetes is an epidemic right now, I mean it's good for you that you don't have problem with sugar. But what's the harm in suggesting someone eat less of it?

point is excessive weight gain aside from any genetic issues can cause type 2 diabetes.people here have gained weight being vegan and vegetarian as well. so yes eating too much broccoli can cause diabetes.I never said there was any harm in suggesting eating less sugar but you are making false claims saying it causes certain health issues when they studies now prove that it doesnt.