any tips on giving up fast food

Options
2»

Replies

• Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me was one week I wrote down everything I was eating from fast foods restaurants on a normal week. The next week I made it a point eat something from home for every meals. Keep both your grocery receipts and fast food receipts.
    At the end of both weeks calculate two things: the calories you ate for each week and the money you spent.
    I found out I was eating almost 4500 more calories weekly and spending an extra 20-30$ a week on food when I was eating out/fast food.
    Since I stopped eating fast food and eating non processed home Cooked meals I have lost 12 pounds just these past few weeks.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't go. Easy as that. Or work it into your calories as you can. I still eat fast food, but I do my best to limit it to once a week and have found things that fit my goals better than my old choices.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Just say no thanks if you really don't want it. But I like finding the lower calorie options that a lot of fast food places have. Taco Bell is surprisingly easy to work into your diet.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell -chicken soft tacos
    Burger King -grilled chicken sandwich
    McDonald's -burger without cheese
    Subway -avoid cheese and mayo, add veggies or double the meat if you have enough calories. Order the lowest calorie bread white Italian.

Some fast tips:

Ask for no mayo. Mayo is ridiculously high calorie and most chains theirs doesn't taste good anyway.

Take off the bigger side of the bun (usually top) and eat it open face, that can save about 100 calories and tastes the same.

Avoid creamy sauces and order plain. You can add your own portioned ketchup/mustard but I have found a lot of sandwiches/burgers have "special sauce" (hello McDonald's breakfast bagels I'm looking at you!) or hidden sauces that the bun absorbs and you don't know it's there and it can jack up the calories.

Get chicken when possible.

For breakfast meals tell them no butter. A lot of places have sugar free syrup available if you ask.

Look for grilled items over fried.

Just make the best selection possible and log it. Sometimes we have to eat out. Sometimes we choose to and want to but don't let it derail you and say to hell with it and go wild just because you already feel like you are making a bad decision so why not make more? It still matters and sometimes with a little control you can stay in your goal easier than you think. I will often only make one small change such as changing something to a salad, or not having a sauce and it keeps me on target.

Best of luck!