Sick. Again

So I'm generally really healthy these days but suspiciously I get sick for three days a month every month. I know for a lot of people this is a time when they want chocolate and what not but for me I get seriously nauesous and can hardly eat. Anyway, my question is what healthy foodd do you find easy on the tummy? I a, vegan by the way. Sorry if that makes suggestions harder on all you lovely people

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Cook some rice in vegetable stock and add some diced veggies easy on the tummy like well cooked carrot or peas. This is a mild meal easy on the belly. I used to eat it a lot when my reflux and IBS acted up.
    Lol thank you for that suggestion. You know what would make it even better? Maybe my boyfriend will make it for me.
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    My doctor recommended bananas, applesauce, rice, or toast. Short grained rice cooked in green tea works for me sometimes (I saw that suggestion on a bento site). I also have homemade (vegan) oatmeal based bars that I nibble when queasy or after being sick. If I'm really nauseous, I stay with applesauce or watery oatmeal if I can eat at all. Less uncomfortable later on.

If you're close to underweight and are unable to eat due to nausea that frequently, you might try medication. There are a few that don't have a lot of side effects, like ondansetron (Zofran) that you could get prescribed, though it's possible that your doctor won't take it seriously if you're not actually vomiting. I can't tell from your post how bad the nausea is - if you're able to keep food down or not.

Anyway, good luck getting your nausea under control.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    missmince wrote: »
    My doctor recommended bananas, applesauce, rice, or toast. Short grained rice cooked in green tea works for me sometimes (I saw that suggestion on a bento site). I also have homemade (vegan) oatmeal based bars that I nibble when queasy or after being sick. If I'm really nauseous, I stay with applesauce or watery oatmeal if I can eat at all. Less uncomfortable later on.

If you're close to underweight and are unable to eat due to nausea that frequently, you might try medication. There are a few that don't have a lot of side effects, like ondansetron (Zofran) that you could get prescribed, though it's possible that your doctor won't take it seriously if you're not actually vomiting. I can't tell from your post how bad the nausea is - if you're able to keep food down or not.

Anyway, good luck getting your nausea under control.

No luck keeping it down and it's every month but i not underweight. Bmi is 20.8
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Apple sauce is good for sure yeah. I buy the baby food apple and sweet potato.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    misskarne wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're struggling with solid food, nothing wrong with some gatorade and chicken noodle soup.

PS: We're all adults here, you don't need to call it mysterious, we all know what it is.

Seriously, calling it "sick" makes me kinda sad.
    Sorry, but is there a more appropriate term for throwing up, struggling with smells and laying on the ground holding your stomach. I realize we all know why but the symptom is obviously- sick
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2017
    I recommend some tea (brewed not bottled). Green tea and maybe something with Ginger to help settle the stomach.

I eat whatever I'm craving (within cals) but the healthier I eat the more my comfort foods reflect healthier choices. Lately, Farro cooked with vegetable stock which would probably help absorb any acid. Saltines too. My go-tos though when I'm really yucky are mashed potatoes or mac n cheese.

I know you said you don't crave chocolate but a high quality dark chocolate is good for the tummy too so maybe give one piece a try.

Also, consider licorice, products with real licorice can be found at sprouts, whole foods, etc.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    brznhabits wrote: »
    I recommend some tea (brewed not bottled). Green tea and maybe something with Ginger to help settle the stomach.

I eat whatever I'm craving (within cals) but the healthier I eat the more my comfort foods reflect healthier choices. Lately, Farro, cooked with vegetable stock which would probably help absorb any acid. Saltines too. My go-tos though when I'm really yucky are mashed potatoes or mac n cheese.

I know you said you don't crave chocolate but a high quality dark chocolate is good for the tummy too so maybe give one piece a try.

Also, consider licorice, products with real licorice can be found at sprouts, whole foods, etc.
    Licoroice and farro are actually too of my fav foods
    Thanks girl. Do you there is a way we could combine them? Lol
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    I tend to have smoothies when I don't fancy solid food. Banana smoothies with some soya milk usually. I make the smoothie thicker towards the end of the illness as I'm more able to deal with soilds.

Smaller meals are easier on the tummy than larger ones so grazing on small portions through the day might work better than three larger meals. Soup too, if you fancy something warm, with a little bread perhaps
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Have you asked your doctor about it? Could it be some vitamin deficiency that gets worse or is affected by hormonal changes? Parsley or parsley tea may help. It is a mild hormone regulator.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    @RedheadedPrincess14

You're having such terrible symptoms. Have you seen an OB/GYN about this?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    So I'm generally really healthy these days but suspiciously I get sick for three days a month every month. I know for a lot of people this is a time when they want chocolate and what not but for me I get seriously nauesous and can hardly eat. Anyway, my question is what healthy foodd do you find easy on the tummy? I a, vegan by the way. Sorry if that makes suggestions harder on all you lovely people

You say "every month" so I suspect this is related to your menstrual cycle. We talk about our periods a lot here so what is it? Premenstrual? Once your period starts? With more information we can be more helpful.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Like vomiting? Is that not allowed to be said on here? Saltines and applesauce until it passes?
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    misskarne wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're struggling with solid food, nothing wrong with some gatorade and chicken noodle soup.

PS: We're all adults here, you don't need to call it mysterious, we all know what it is.

Seriously, calling it "sick" makes me kinda sad.
    Sorry, but is there a more appropriate term for throwing up, struggling with smells and laying on the ground holding your stomach. I realize we all know why but the symptom is obviously- sick

Fair enough, my apologies. You can say your period makes you sick, though. The sense that you were avoiding calling it what it is is what I reacted to.
    Okay, I'm sorry! I thought I was clear but I just thought that was a more appropriate to word it. My bad. Didn't mean to be deceptive
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    @RedheadedPrincess14

You're having such terrible symptoms. Have you seen an OB/GYN about this?
    Yeah, I have PSCOS. So that's probably a pic contributing factor. And yeah, my doctor knows. But be fair, she isn't an Gyno. I don't see one regularly
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You say "every month" so I suspect this is related to your menstrual cycle. We talk about our periods a lot here so what is it? Premenstrual? Once your period starts? With more information we can be more helpful.

1 day before and two days during. Sorry, I should have been more clear