Post a quote

Options

Replies

• itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    "Body dysmorphia is a mental illness involving obsessive focus on a perceived flaw in appearance. The flaw may be minor or imagined, but the person may spend hours a day trying to fix it. The person may try many cosmetic procedures or exercise to excess. People with this disorder may frequently examine their appearance in a mirror, constantly compare their appearance with that of others, and avoid social situations or photos."
    Thank you for this.

I feel like this is an epidemic, and whether or not it rises to the level of a disorder depends on the severity. I know that I body check myself too frequently and I probably exhibit some of the other symptoms as well.

I try pretty hard to make exercise and healthful eating about wellness and functionality, but I’m also vain as *kitten* and probably give a lot of lip service to it.
  • jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    "Body dysmorphia is a mental illness involving obsessive focus on a perceived flaw in appearance. The flaw may be minor or imagined, but the person may spend hours a day trying to fix it. The person may try many cosmetic procedures or exercise to excess. People with this disorder may frequently examine their appearance in a mirror, constantly compare their appearance with that of others, and avoid social situations or photos."
    Thank you for this.

I feel like this is an epidemic, and whether or not it rises to the level of a disorder depends on the severity. I know that I body check myself too frequently and I probably exhibit some of the other symptoms as well.

I try pretty hard to make exercise and healthful eating about wellness and functionality, but I’m also vain as *kitten* and probably give a lot of lip service to it.

Yes, the severity varies, and I agree that this seems like a modern epidemic. I posted this because it made me reflect on my preoccupation with my appearance over the years. I do not think I would be clinically diagnosed with BDD, but there is something there (more past than present) that is probably not healthy or at the very least, out of balance.

We all want to know we are ok and accepted. For some reason we often think a great appearance will grant us that... it never does.
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thank you for this.

Yes, the severity varies, and I agree that this seems like a modern epidemic. I posted this because it made me reflect on my preoccupation with my appearance over the years. I do not think I would be clinically diagnosed with BDD, but there is something there (more past than present) that is probably not healthy or at the very least, out of balance.

We all want to know we are ok and accepted. For some reason we often think a great appearance will grant us that... it never does.
    ❤️ big facts
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,405 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.

With social media, this has become a big issue in the fitness industry.
    A lot of influencers edit their photo's online so they look slimmer than they are.

For good laugh and educational, you should follow good_u2 on IG
    He exposes a lot of frauds on his page. People who are selling "their programs" to people, while editing their photo's and thus making them look smaller than they are.

These fitlfluencers probably have body dysmorphia as well, but they now try to make money out of it.
    It's basically lying to your clients
  • UAreUrOnlyLimit
    UAreUrOnlyLimit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My solitude does not depend on the presence or absence of people; on the contrary, I hate who steals my solitude without, in exchange, offering me true company.

-F. Nietzsche
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 14,027 Member
    Options
    “My happiness is not the means to any end.
    It is the end.
    It is its own goal.
    It is its own purpose.”

A.R.
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions….Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it”
    -Tina Fey
  • _Brigit
    _Brigit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My solitude does not depend on the presence or absence of people; on the contrary, I hate who steals my solitude without, in exchange, offering me true company.

-F. Nietzsche

<3
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    “SHE STOPPED OVER THE LEDGE WHERE HE WORKED AND SHE STOOD WATCHING HIM OPENLY.
    WHEN HE RAISED HIS HEAD, SHE DID NOT TURN AWAY.
    HER GLANCE TOLD HIM THAT SHE KNEW THE MEANING OF HER ACTION.
    BUT DID NOT RESPECT HIM ENOUGH TO CONCEAL IT.
    HIS GLANCE TOLD HER ONLY THAT HE HAD EXPECTED HER TO COME.”
  • honey_honey_12
    Options

“It's enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment.”
  • Bigsubby
    Bigsubby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The ability to remain calm is above all … SHARK!!
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    ve3pa6d9eaml.jpeg
  • UAreUrOnlyLimit
    edited October 2023
    Options
    There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.
    L. Hamilton
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Dimi, why you do this to me?
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Dimi, why you do this to me?

50 years old, still creeps me out.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    o28wdj9l1lj0.jpeg
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    The time will pass anyway
  • UAreUrOnlyLimit
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You cannot make everyone think and feel as deeply as you do. This is your tragedy because you understand them, but they do not understand you.

-D. Saint
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    You cannot make everyone think and feel as deeply as you do. This is your tragedy because you understand them and they do not understand you.
    😭
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    o3lf5kdw5wn7.jpeg