Asking for the wife

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
My wife has blood sugar issues and was wondering if you could share foods that are good for blood sugar and foods that are the worst.

Thanks

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've just read Michael Mosley's blood sugar diet - it's super interesting and I'm having great results from fasting 5:2. https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    What kind of blood sugar issues? She may want to ask her doctor for a referral to a registered dietician.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I'm not sure, as far as I know just high blood pressure. She doesn't see him for a couple weeks yet
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Blood pressure is usually caused by high sodium, but it's very important to talk to the doctor first because there can be other causes. Blood sugar can be diabetes, pre-diabetes, hypoglycemia, or hyperglycemia, which often overlap and have different issues.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, as far as I know just high blood pressure. She doesn't see him for a couple weeks yet

The DASH diet is a good diet for high blood pressure. It was recommended to me by my doctor when I had pregnancy induced hypertension. It's about keeping your sodium low, so avoidance of many prepackaged food (there are still some you can eat), the idea was, if I remember correctly to keep sodium at under 1500 mg/ day.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about blood pressure or blood sugar?
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    From a diabetics perspective (I'm type II) I think most people would agree avoiding sugary and highly processed foods and drinks is the right and the first step to take. Focus on eating Whole Foods, from fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and meat.

I know there's a lot of conflicting nutritional information out there and everyone has strong opinions of what is healthy or not, especially in regards to fats and grains.

Several years ago, after I was diagnosed with diabetes I went through little more than year of self experimentation figuring out what foods I could or couldn't eat. I ate according to my blood glucose meter. It was a lot of trial and error, but once I learn to manage my blood sugar my weight dropped and my health gradually improved.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    rjel78 wrote: »

The DASH diet is a good diet for high blood pressure. It was recommended to me by my doctor when I had pregnancy induced hypertension. It's about keeping your sodium low, so avoidance of many prepackaged food (there are still some you can eat), the idea was, if I remember correctly to keep sodium at under 1500 mg/ day.
    I second this. It was designed to help with hypertension, but seems to have a number of other effects, including fat loss and improved blood sugar. So, to answer your question @Rebecca0224 it may help with both. :)

You can find information on the DASH diet on US government websites (NIH and Dept. of Agriculture, I think.) There's also a commercial site, but I'd avoid that - it's just fluff. Be sure to run this past her doctor.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I mean high blood sugar just to be certain
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think this is poor place for you to get the kind of information that you truly need, and it would be wise to avoid any of it that is offered. If your wife has blood sugar issues, that is serious business that needs to be handled by your health care professional.

Your best bet for really good information while you are waiting, is to consult the American diabetes Association at diabetes.org. They have a bunch of information available on their website. They also have an 800 number you can call, or you can chat. These people will be able to suss out better what exact information you need. I strongly urge you to please get your information from professionals--especially now at what sounds like the beginning of your wife's journey. Blessings.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I don't think it's a poor place for advice at all because someone else is going through this too and they could offer some words of advice. She did consult her doctor and he wants her to check it every day and go back in a month. I was just reaching out for advice, just like other people on other forums
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low-Carber Daily Forum group, there's lots of resources on controlling blood sugar and how to work around carbs in the diet. There's a sticky with diabetes resources that might be helpful to you as well.

LCD evangelical away . . .