Run in the rain?

Options
Question for all the runners...I prefer to run outdoors. I have a treadmill at my house but I'm no longer an enthusiast. When it's raining out, but you have a scheduled run, do you throw on a hat and run in the rain--if it's reasonably safe? Or go the treadmill route? Or go back to bed?

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of running in the rain especially if it's cold. I don't like getting my feet wet in my socks.

If my run is 5 miles or less I would do it on the treadmill. Now that my runs are longer I might have to rethink running in the rain...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    76thrasher wrote: »
    Question for all the runners...I prefer to run outdoors. I have a treadmill at my house but I'm no longer an enthusiast. When it's raining out, but you have a scheduled run, do you throw on a hat and run in the rain--if it's reasonably safe? Or go the treadmill route? Or go back to bed?

Get wet, or use a treadmill...

Skin is waterproof
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain.... I don't melt. The treadmill is so boring.
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with running in the rain if you can do it safely and don't run for a long time in wet shoes or socks. I've gotten some pretty nasty blisters from wet socks so I am a bit more cautious.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I live in the pacific northwest. Half the 5ks I sign up for end up being in the rain! Really improves run time. If I was just running for the heck of it though I'd probably do the treadmill instead depending on how hard it was raining. Now I just wish I had a treadmill for my dog - raining or not he always needs a daily walk. I haven't melted yet...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Dry, wet, hot, cold, rain, snow, sun, outside every day.
    There are only three times "rain" is dangerous. Tornadoes, hurricanes, and lightning.

You left out hail. Lightning might or might not strike you, but hail *will* beat you up.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Super heavy downpours I turn to something else such as Spinning. Regular rain. . Outside it is.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    76thrasher wrote: »

I have been known to pick my time of day to avoid rain, and I'm not terribly fond of running in a cold rain. THBS, I've had a couple major runs in the rain recently. My last 22 mile run this training cycle was done at 39º F (3º C) with a 10-12 mph ENE wind and rain. It wasn't too bad when I had my pace group with me for the first 18 miles, but the last 3.7 solo (I wimped out by 0.3 mile) were not fun. What kept me going was the thought that even if it's 35º with rain and a 15 mph ENE wind in Hopkinton on April 17, there will still be a Boston Marathon.

Later, I had my last hard tempo workout on a day when it rained all day. It was warmer, in the mid 40s; but it was raining a bit harder, and the rain is suckier if I'm trying to hold T pace (lactic threshold) than if I'm running easy (as I was with the pace group).

So I can say with confidence that I am able to run for over 2 hours, almost 3 hours, in the rain. I am not at all certain that I could stand running more than 30 minutes on a treadmill.

And yes, the ability to quickly get to a warm shower and dry clothes after running in the rain is important to me.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love exercising outdoors. I walk or jog in the rain or snow. I have a treadmill , but only use it if the weather is unsafe. :)
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You all are inspiring! I need to toughen up. The temp is such that it shouldn't be too uncomfortable if I can just remember the dreaded alternative: the treadmill!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain gives me a special high. I LOVE running in the rain. I prefer it.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    A few members of my tri club did a marathon last month, so that meant lots of run training in cold, wet (and dark) conditions over the winter. It really wasn't too bad most days.

I don't mind the treadmill for shorter runs, but I "hit the wall" at the 9 mile mark on a treadmill run this winter. Don't want to do that again. :)
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain gives me a special high. I LOVE running in the rain. I prefer it.
    Me too! It's much better than running in the heat. I just make sure to take my waterproof bag for the phone and wear a hat to help keep my glasses from getting too wet.

Op, just make sure you aren't running in a thunderstorm and pay extra attention to the surface and your surroundings.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a "wheel runner". I never start a bicycle ride if it is raining, unless I need to get somewhere at a certain time, but I don't quit if it starts.
  • Sol_Determine
    Sol_Determine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain you just have to dress up accordingly. I live on the east coast so the weather is unpredictable. If the rain is bad to a point where I'm unable to run in I'll just run indoor at my local gym.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I put on a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes and run. The only weather I won't run in is extreme heat or lightning.