Run in the rain?

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I live in Durham in the NE of England. If I didn't run in the rain I'd get about 4 runs a year.

Only ice stops me running. I have even ran in lightening storms.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just don't do extreme weather. I won't go out if it's pouring, but I won't come in if it starts pouring.

Last week we had terrible wind, on garbage day. Branches were taking down power lines. I ran on the treadmill because I didn't want a branch falling on me or being sideswiped by a trash can.

But normal, light rain, yes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I'm training for something and can't skip, I run. If it's just a random run, depends on the temp & how hard it's raining & my mood.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Depends, I love running in the light rain. I live in Central Texas so it is usually a relief from the heat and humidity. We do get some wicked storms here (hail, flash floods, tornadoes). Anything more than a light gentle rain I stay indoors for safety.

I actually schedule my daily workouts around the weather report - lol. My runs are scheduled for days with less than 50% rain. The other days I schedule yoga and strength training.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love to run in the rain!

Not a deluge or anything, but a nice refreshing run in the rain is invigorating.

I usually have a kick *kitten* time in the rain.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I went for a six mile run yesterday in 87 deg F heat. It was vile. I'll take a cool rainy day over that every time. But my route took me up and down Heartbreak Hill so I was able to have a good look at how the preparation for Monday's marathon is going. The barriers and signage are ready to be installed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I live in a cold, dry climate. Rain is rare. I hate running in heat the worst, as I have trouble cooling down. I won't run on ice.

Nearly all weathers are better than the treadmill.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I went for a six mile run yesterday in 87 deg F heat. It was vile. I'll take a cool rainy day over that every time. But my route took me up and down Heartbreak Hill so I was able to have a good look at how the preparation for Monday's marathon is going. The barriers and signage are ready to be installed.

I think I'd rather have a light rain Monday than 87º F heat. But whatever the weather is, the race isn't going to be canceled.

And that's the argument for running in all weather. Would you run in it on race day, or would you forfeit your entry fee and skip the race? If you'd run in today's weather on race day, run in today's weather today.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip: get yourself merino wool socks. Not only are they super comfortable and stink-resistant, they also wick away water/sweat. I only run in merino socks, but I've found running in the rain to be quite comfy since I started using them. They can be expensive, but a lot of times you can find them on clearance at the end of seasons.

I also wear brimmed hats to keep the water out of my eyes.

I'm right there with everyone else, though, that I won't run in tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, or hail; *kitten* that.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Pro-tip: get yourself merino wool socks. Not only are they super comfortable and stink-resistant, they also wick away water/sweat. I only run in merino socks, but I've found running in the rain to be quite comfy since I started using them. They can be expensive, but a lot of times you can find them on clearance at the end of seasons.

I'm right there with everyone else, though, that I won't run in tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, or hail; *kitten* that.

Caution: Get the real wool socks that are designed to be running socks. They aren't 100% wool, they're a wool-synthetic blend. The cheaper 100% wool socks you can find at Sam's Club or similar places don't work as well for running. Smartwool is good, Darn Tough is good, the pair of Feetures wool socks I have seems to have worn out too fast. But then, the Feetures socks were free for finishing 2nd in my age group in a race.

If you buy Darn Tough brand, they come with a lifetime guarantee. $18 or $20 a pair seemed steep in 2011 and 2012; but then I only spent $7 to mail in 5 pair of socks with worn soles and get 5 pair to replace them in 2016. I put an awful lot of miles on those socks before they wore out enough that mailing them in for replacement was more reasonable than just continuing to use them.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »

Caution: Get the real wool socks that are designed to be running socks. They aren't 100% wool, they're a wool-synthetic blend. The cheaper 100% wool socks you can find at Sam's Club or similar places don't work as well for running. Smartwool is good, Darn Tough is good, the pair of Feetures wool socks I have seems to have worn out too fast. But then, the Feetures socks were free for finishing 2nd in my age group in a race.

If you buy Darn Tough brand, they come with a lifetime guarantee. $18 or $20 a pair seemed steep in 2011 and 2012; but then I only spent $7 to mail in 5 pair of socks with worn soles and get 5 pair to replace them in 2016. I put an awful lot of miles on those socks before they wore out enough that mailing them in for replacement was more reasonable than just continuing to use them.

Agreed--I should have mentioned that, thanks!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I run outside rain or shine or even minus 45! GO GO GO!
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Always out. I escape treadmills like the plague.
    Actually some of the best runs I remember were in the rain, there is something about 20-25km in the pouring rain, drenched from the very first minute to the last, that the same distance and course on a sunny day won't give me.
    It's sort of primal, liberating...priceless.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, throw on a hat and go! I really love it when it starts raining mid run, something about that turns me on. lol

I do have a temperature preference when its raining heavy enough with certain winds speeds, and of course no serious storms with lightening (it never hails here).

My treddy and I have a serious love hate relationship. It to be absolutely no option for me to run on it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I think I'd rather have a light rain Monday than 87º F heat. But whatever the weather is, the race isn't going to be canceled.

And that's the argument for running in all weather. Would you run in it on race day, or would you forfeit your entry fee and skip the race? If you'd run in today's weather on race day, run in today's weather today.

In 2012, the organisers actually offered deferrals to people because the weather forecast was unseasonably warm (85-90 deg F). Not going to happen this year. The current forecast is for 60 deg F, which is perfect.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The above wool socks comments are spot on. Rain is refreshing, unless it's freezing out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I actually really enjoy running in the rain- not cold driving rain- but spring rain when the temps are up a little and the rain isn't cold.
    I also like running in the snow.

but- I don't run a whole hell of a lot any more- and there is no way I could do 20 miles in the rain at this point- I'm just not dedicated enough to running- (not a priority for me). But anything is possible if it's important to you!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I've run in the rain. I've run in the snow. I've cycled in the rain. It's fun, and i really enjoy the WTF? looks i get from people while doing it.

The only thing that shuts me down is thunder/lightning, because that is just not safe.

My favorite run ever was a sunny morning after a 1" snowfall. I followed one other set of tracks on the same out and back loop route for 13 miles. Never did see the other runner.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Dry, wet, hot, cold, rain, snow, sun, outside every day.
    There are only three times "rain" is dangerous. Tornadoes, hurricanes, and lightning.

And hail. Don't forget that one.

I'll run in the rain, too, as long as it isn't one of our 'can't see 5 ft ahead' downpours. I'll run outside in the cold - love the cold, just need to dress in layers. I'll run outside in 100+ heat and hate every step (but still better to me than the treadmill 'cause it hurts my knees). Probably wouldn't run in snow because here snow generally means ice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't run in the rain because I just hate to. I live in an apartment building that has a gym area with treadmills, so when it's raining I just do my run in there. If I had to choose between running in the rain and skipping my run, I would learn to tolerate the rain.