Options
13»

Replies

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    I maintain at 2200-2400 calories total (I don't add/subtract exercise). I do CrossFit 3-4 times/week, bike 3-4 hours/week, run 1-2x week. I'm 5'7" and around 150 lb. I've increased my lean mass over the past two years by about 10 lb with lifting and CrossFit.

I'm similar...eat about 2200 cals/day to maintain. I run, do Crossfit, and practice yoga.

ETA I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs

Sounds like fun! And obstacle races?

• ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    I maintain at 2200-2400 calories total (I don't add/subtract exercise). I do CrossFit 3-4 times/week, bike 3-4 hours/week, run 1-2x week. I'm 5'7" and around 150 lb. I've increased my lean mass over the past two years by about 10 lb with lifting and CrossFit.

I'm similar...eat about 2200 cals/day to maintain. I run, do Crossfit, and practice yoga.

ETA I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs

Sounds like fun! And obstacle races?

Definitely OCRs. First one of the year for me is in three weeks!
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My maintenance number is 1,970. I am doing a lot of cardio, so goal calories is usually around 2,600 with the exercise adjustment. At the time I am only eating about 100 of my workout calories back (or a little over 2,000 calories), which is still resulting in a slight weight loss. I have been adding calories back slowly in maintenance.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    At the moment I'm trying to figure out what my maintenance calories are.

MFP had them set to 1530 but I keep dropping weight so I've pumped it up to 1680. I'll try that for about a month and see how it goes.

I'm in the same boat........MFP has mine set to 1490 and still loosing. Maybe I will take your advice and up mine to see if that helps.Thanks:)
  • Nutmeg1206
    Nutmeg1206 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In reality, my TDEE is 1940.
    According to MFP it's 1650.. it most certainly is not.
    It depends on which weight I'm maintaining though. Right now I'm healthy, but I used to maintain on 1600-1800 when I was 96-100lbs. MFP would calculate that at just around my BMR at that weight (1250) so that would mean I was burning like 50 calories a day. Surrrre
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Did you have anything in mind when you wrote this?

Sure, the definition of "net" is that you take what you eat and subtract your TDEE. To maintain weight that number can only be zero.

In MFP diary 'net = eaten - intentional exercise'.

Thanks for your input.

So, if you are asking about MFP Net instead of net calories, what you really want to know is NEAT.

NET calories is not zero at all. You are very wrong....

Via MFP "We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

This means that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise."

Like net income is income minus taxes etc NET calorie intake is considered calories eaten minus excess exercise. It can't be an intake if it's 0. You eventually spend all your money too but your NET income isn't considered 0.
  • spookymooshu
    spookymooshu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    45. 5'5". 135-137#. My "MFP net" is 2150. I work out hard - climb twice a week, long hilly mountain bike rides, run either intervals or 6 miles steady, lift twice a week. So - I usually end up eating 2400-2700/d.

I'm still losing about 1/2# a month so just bumped up my calories. Again (which is awesome!)
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When you say "NET" you mean how much do you eat after exercise is taken into account?

For myself, I am maintaining at 2000cal a day, and I usually do Crossfit which burns around 300-400 cal ... so maybe that means net is 1600-1700?

Anyway, I eat quite a bit!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10". I net 1200 now but eat 1350-1400. I walk a lot, no other exercise. I used to net 1400 for the first four years or so of maintenance, but my weight slowly crept up in the last 18 months, so I had to drop to keep maintaining. I'm in my late 50's though, and your calorie needs do change. I'm still not hungry so it must be enough.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been very insightful.

Note that many folks have given you their height, and some have even provided their age, and activity levels. All are important variables.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In theory, it's about 2300. I'm 5'10 and 148.4

But I tend to eat to what I'm maintaining that day, i.e. 1850 when I'm basically a dead fish and don't do anything apart from getting up to get food but if I'm training two hours that day (kickboxing) I need at least 3100. But it's not an exact science as I'm still losing and I'm working in free weights as well so it's more of a guide.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and do Olympic lifting, strength training plus a tiny bit of cardio too. My calories vary day to do but never more than around 1200-1300.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    5'3", 45 years old, 130 lbs. I eat about 1500-1600 to maintain, but on really active days it can be up to 2300.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm at 1900-2000 to maintain. 115 lbs and 5'7"
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Net about 1700 for me to maintain. 5'9" and 160-ish.