Just started diet a week ago and not losing a pound!!! Help

Options

Replies

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain weight in a day and you're not going to lose it in a day, either. If you're positive that all of your logs are correct, stay away from the scale for a while (a few weeks) and then check your weight again. If you're going to weigh daily, you have to understand that fluctuations happen and sometimes your weight is going to read higher, sometimes it's going to be lower.
  • sueberlin
    sueberlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I guess I am confused because I have lost weight in the past and usually in the first week I lost about 5-7 lbs...what probably only was water. But after that I used to always lose a bit each day or every other day. But this time I am even gaining what is so different. Is it not calorie in calorie out? I mean I know it's just a week yet. But it is weird that I am gaining.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sueberlin wrote: »

I know that it is about the calorie deficit. I just wanted to point out that I eat quality calories and nothing processed. And yes I am using a food scale and measure ALL my portions. I also log in EVERYTHING even the 1/4 cup of onion. I only drink water. I am certain I am using the correct data base. This is not the first time I am doing this. In the past I always lost easy. Did my body change? Because I am in my 30is now? I am 282 lbs and eat 1200 - 1300 cal I should have enough calorie deficit plus the exercise. I just started this diet. How can I already have a plateau??

I think the part I bolded in your quote may offer a clue. Solid foods really need to be weighed (grams), if you want to be certain that you're measuring accurately. (Do I really think that a slightly inaccurate calorie measurement for raw onion will entirely derail one's weight loss progress? No, but if you tend to measure most solid foods using volume measurements, it could be making a bigger impact on your logging accuracy than you may think).

• OliviaCounts
    OliviaCounts Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. You could be plateauing while your body adjusts to the change in calorie intake, or your age could be a contributing factor (I lose weight less easily than I did at 22 when I started on MFP, and I'm only 26 now). You will also have to make bigger sacrifices the more weight you lose, it will get harder to make a difference as you go along. I think you need to give it more time. :)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I guess I am confused because I have lost weight in the past and usually in the first week I lost about 5-7 lbs...what probably only was water. But after that I used to always lose a bit each day or every other day. But this time I am even gaining what is so different. Is it not calorie in calorie out? I mean I know it's just a week yet. But it is weird that I am gaining.

Yeah that initial loss is always water weight, it comes off first. Then normally there won't be a loss for a few days, even a couple of weeks, as your weight is catching up with that initial water loss. I started 2/10, lost one pound a day for 4 days. Then sat at the same weight for over 2 weeks. NOT a plateau. It's NORMAL.

Carry on.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

But the scale reflects all sorts of things, not related to actual fat gains/losses. Hormones/tom/pms, water retention due to sodium and/or exercise etc, digestion periods, bathroom timing/constipation, time of day you weigh yourself, if you eat or drink something before you weigh yourself, if you weigh yourself with clothes on, if you take a shower before you weigh yourself, if you move your scale to a different location, if your scales batteries are getting old, if you use a different scale (home vs gym vs doctor's office), and the list goes on and on.

You're at the very beginning stages of this process-stop comparing what's happened in the past (which has no relevance to what you're doing now), be patient and then relax a bit. If you're sure that you're at the correct calorie deficit for your goals, then you will lose the weight. Look at your monthly trends though, and not so much daily ones.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what gets lost in the fluctuations discussion (or water retention etc.) is a very important fact. Your fluid retention, which is regulated by your body, can vary by up to 2-3 times the amount of weight you are looking to lose in one week....all in a single day.

So if you are looking to lose 1.5 pounds/week, for example, you may have lost that amount of fat, while seeing the scale go up by 5 pounds or more that week. If you make an adjustment based on that, you may not have needed to. That's why you need to give it time to establish a trend. A typical graph of weight versus time will show a squiggly line, but with enough time, there should be a trendline to go with it. If, after 4-6 weeks, you aren't seeing anything, then it might be time to adjust. But don't adjust until you have facts. And that takes a little time.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    'Clean' eating has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, (it's a subjective term that doesn't even have an agreed on definition). For weight loss to happen you must be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

Are you using a food scale to measure out your portion sizes? Are you logging everything you eat/drink that has calories? Are you choosing correct data base entries?

Also, your weight will fluctuate daily, due to all sorts of things not fat related.

I know that it is about the calorie deficit. I just wanted to point out that I eat quality calories and nothing processed. And yes I am using a food scale and measure ALL my portions. I also log in EVERYTHING even the 1/4 cup of onion. I only drink water. I am certain I am using the correct data base. This is not the first time I am doing this. In the past I always lost easy. Did my body change? Because I am in my 30is now? I am 282 lbs and eat 1200 - 1300 cal I should have enough calorie deficit plus the exercise. I just started this diet. How can I already have a plateau??

You say you are using a food scale, but then reference measuring your portions, and refer to 1/4 cup of onions. Are you weighing all those solid foods, or are you measuring them? It can make a difference, maybe not on something like onions, but on other more calorie dense items for sure.

And again - it's been one week. You saw a big drop initially and then things have leveled off or bounced back a little. That is normal. You need to be patient.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Things to consider over and above the logging... You said you worked out and had rest days. Is the working out new to your regular routine? Are you close to ToM? Both can affect fluid retention and a perceived weight gain. So again, like everyone above me has said, be patient, see where you are in a few week's time and don't stress it out. :smile:
  • sueberlin
    Options

I think the part I bolded in your quote may offer a clue. Solid foods really need to be weighed (grams), if you want to be certain that you're measuring accurately. (Do I really think that a slightly inaccurate calorie measurement for raw onion will entirely derail one's weight loss progress? No, but if you tend to measure most solid foods using volume measurements, it could be making a bigger impact on your logging accuracy than you may think).

Nope. I mainly use the scale (digital). I was just giving an example of how little the food is it doesn't matter I log the food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dramaman69 wrote: »
    To avoid the ups and downs of daily weight fluctuations, I make it a habit to only weigh myself once a week and try to to do the same time of the day to keep things as consistent as possible. Some weeks I've lost more than expected, some weeks less. I don't worry too much about it as I am fairly disciplined about logging my food intake and making sure I have a daily calorie deficit.

Whereas I prefer to weigh daily and track it with Trendweight (and my own Excel spreadsheets). his way if I'm up one day, I can usually know why and have a decent guess as to when it will come off. Also, I can tell if a "check in" day is off track.

Yep. Weighing every day (even twice/day - morning and before bed) helps me understand my body's natural fluctuations. I know that my lowest weight of the week (when losing, I'm in maintenance now but still holds true) is Friday morning, on the third week of my cycle. I also know that I typically weigh two lbs more at night than I did that morning, and that Monday mornings are higher for me because of weekend indulgence, increased activity, etc.

Only weighing once/week would have left me more confused and frustrated, if I had less data to work with.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    On the scale not budging "AT ALL". Be warned some scales have a memory and will show the most recent weight if the current weight is within a half pound or so. I know my last scale would not changed unless my weight changes by ~ 3/4 of a lb. I would step on it with one foot, get the reading and then step on it normally to reset it.

Could be the case here.

That explains what I've seen on my scale! I was wondering about that.
  • sueberlin
    Options
    Also 1 thing I forgot to mention is that I have PCOS. And I know women with PCOS have a harder time to lose weight. Does anyone know anything about that? I mean I know a lot already. I don't want to know whats wrong with me. I would like to know why is it harder to lose weight with PCOS?? It's about my hormones in the body...but what exactly has that to do with the weight loss?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    On the scale not budging "AT ALL". Be warned some scales have a memory and will show the most recent weight if the current weight is within a half pound or so. I know my last scale would not changed unless my weight changes by ~ 3/4 of a lb. I would step on it with one foot, get the reading and then step on it normally to reset it.

Could be the case here.

That explains what I've seen on my scale! I was wondering about that.

Read this thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10485204/dumb-scale-question-weight-watchers-scale
    It's where I figured my issue out.

I happened across a clearance WIthings scale one day and bought it, so I don't have the issue anymore.

To the OP. It's been a week. Keep going for a month or so and see what happens.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sure, it can make a difference. Lots of threads on here about PCOS & losing weight. But ultimately, it's about eating fewer calories than you burn.

I have hormonal issues, too. (Hypothyroidism, currently not well managed). But I lose weight when I eat fewer calories than my particular metabolism uses up in a given day. You just need to keep at this long enough (Longer than a week, :smile: ) to determine what your body requires.
  • sueberlin
    Options
    I never had that before that I gained when I cut my calories especially not in the first week. It just is so weird to me. But I read about the water fluctuation and retention and other body fluids before. I knew that all already. I am am aware that it needs time and more than a week. I also wasn't expecting a huge difference but the GAIN OF WEIGHT threw me off. I gues it is a sign that I am getting older :wink: and my body needs more time and works harder on it. Like I said I never had that before. But it is good to hear that other people have similar problems.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    'Clean' eating has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, (it's a subjective term that doesn't even have an agreed on definition). For weight loss to happen you must be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

Are you using a food scale to measure out your portion sizes? Are you logging everything you eat/drink that has calories? Are you choosing correct data base entries?

Also, your weight will fluctuate daily, due to all sorts of things not fat related.

You're supposed to weigh every food that is solid or semi solid. Onions should be weighed. Cups/spoons for liquid only.

Type of food has no bearing on weight loss. I've eaten chocolate almost every day since losing over 100lbs.
  • sueberlin
    Options

You're supposed to weigh every food that is solid or semi solid. Onions should be weighed. Cups/spoons for liquid only.

Type of food has no bearing on weight loss. I've eaten chocolate almost every day since losing over 100lbs.

And why are you telling me this? I already answered and said that I was just giving an example and that I use the scale for even a cup or a spoon of onions!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

And why are you telling me this? I already answered and said that I was just giving an example and that I use the scale for even a cup or a spoon of onions!

No need to be rude. I was merely commenting on what you wrote.