Ask me anything?

Replies

• B__ROCK
    B__ROCK Posts: 20 Member
    B__ROCK wrote: »
    What certifications do you have? I have a question I want to ask but..........................

I don't have any certifications, although have studied a bachelor of science so understand the basic scientific processes and metabolism of the human body, along with keeping up to date with research and trial and error for myself and my own experiences

Do you mean you've completed a bachelor's or you've taken some classes toward a bachelor's? Asking for a friend.

Studied it for two years then moved on to bigger better things not to do with nutrition and exercise.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Why coconut oil in coffee? Particularly if female with a relatively low calorie intake needed for weight loss?

Are you aware that MFP uses the NEAT method and therefore advising people not to fuel their workouts if using MFP as designed could actually cause them harm?

And if someone is fatigued as they approach goal weight do you not think before advising them it may be pertinent to ask for further information such as how much they have to lose, their current calorie intake, do they exercise and how do they account for the calories from those workouts, what do their macros looks like (eg are they getting enough protein and fats), how long have they been eating at a deficit, have they ever taken a diet break?

Honestly, if offering to answer questions you need to show some credibility by giving an informed answer and not a stock might not be applicable one.

If you used your so called intellect and understood the context of the question then maybe you would understand that everybody is different and not everybody will feel the same or achieve the same results from the same diet.

That's my point, you can't answer without knowing context but you didn't ask for nor were given enough information to give a specific to their situation/s answer.

My questions stand.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Why coconut oil in coffee? Particularly if female with a relatively low calorie intake needed for weight loss?

Are you aware that MFP uses the NEAT method and therefore advising people not to fuel their workouts if using MFP as designed could actually cause them harm?

And if someone is fatigued as they approach goal weight do you not think before advising them it may be pertinent to ask for further information such as how much they have to lose, their current calorie intake, do they exercise and how do they account for the calories from those workouts, what do their macros looks like (eg are they getting enough protein and fats), how long have they been eating at a deficit, have they ever taken a diet break?

Honestly, if offering to answer questions you need to show some credibility by giving an informed answer and not a stock might not be applicable one.

If you used your so called intellect and understood the context of the question then maybe you would understand that everybody is different and not everybody will feel the same or achieve the same results from the same diet.

Uh, that was kind of her whole point to you.

Also, you might want to try not being rude to people who have been around here a long time (or anyone else for that matter), and have just as much knowledge, if not more, about this whole game.
  • B__ROCK
    I feel I answered this correctly if there was anymore follow up question then they could be asked. Sometimes a general answer is what people want, giving where they are up to in what ever they are doing they can implement and try.
  • B__ROCK
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Uh, that was kind of her whole point to you.

Also, you might want to try not being rude to people who have been around here a long time (or anyone else for that matter), and have just as much knowledge, if not more, about this whole game.

Well if that was her own point then why didn't she get it? All I wanted to do was start discussion and see what people had to offer. Looks like people of forums are all the same and don't actually want to learn and just want to bully people.
  • VintageFeline
    I feel I answered this correctly if there was anymore follow up question then they could be asked. Sometimes a general answer is what people want, giving where they are up to in what ever they are doing they can implement and try.

The thing is, if people come here not knowing some of the basics, giving them answers that are not full and specific they will only end up worse off. A little knowledge can be far worse than no knowledge.
  • B__ROCK

The thing is, if people come here not knowing some of the basics, giving them answers that are not full and specific they will only end up worse off. A little knowledge can be far worse than no knowledge.

Yes but if you read the question then you will see it asks what I do my answer is what I do. I don't understand just simply giving the information that I use you don't need a phd to be able to review scientific papers.
  • B__ROCK
    I really don't think think that holding someone purporting to provide advice to people to a decent standard is bullying. You have held yourself out as a resource. Clearly, people have attempted to make use of that resource. Attempting to establish whether the resource is reliable isn't bullying, it's responsible and community-minded.

Yes but there is better ways to do it everyone who asked I answered. We need this thread to turn into a discussion the name of the thread is the name of the thread. Everything I post I want people to give me there opinions of the subject not there opinions of me. It's about learning as a community not *kitten* people down!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I really don't think think that holding someone purporting to provide advice to people to a decent standard is bullying. You have held yourself out as a resource. Clearly, people have attempted to make use of that resource. Attempting to establish whether the resource is reliable isn't bullying, it's responsible and community-minded.

Yes but there is better ways to do it everyone who asked I answered. We need this thread to turn into a discussion the name of the thread is the name of the thread. Everything I post I want people to give me there opinions of the subject not there opinions of me. It's about learning as a community not *kitten* people down!

The whole forum consists of thousands of discussions. Why not just put your expertise to good use by contributing to them?

This. There are lots of us out here answering people's requests for help and info, some of whom really are credentialed experts. Why don't you take the time to get a feel for the community and jump into threads of people looking for help, rather than setting up court? With the thousands of new posts every day, this one is just going to drift out of sight in a couple of hours anyway.
  • B__ROCK

The whole forum consists of thousands of discussions. Why not just put your expertise to good use by contributing to them?

Yes that is a good way to do it. I thought I would try something different and see if I could get an easy go to place to ask out of the box questions and get answers.
  • B__ROCK

I wasn't trying to shut you down. I was wondering why you hadn't asked for further information from those who asked questions without enough information to give an appropriate to them answer.

If you have a look round you'll see that that's what the community does, so that people get full and accurate advice for their exact situation. It just makes sense and i would hope any professional I went to (not just fitness professionals) would probe a little deeper if I asked a question that didn't have a one size fits all question.

Yes and I know you understand you can not give 10 page answers just to cover basis. People can ask follow up questions if they find things they need to know. I try to answer a question as much as can so people don't have to waste time getting vague answers. You have to think as the first answer I give as the start of a discussion not just a complete answer that is really the only way you can look at things in nutrition and fitness.
  • B__ROCK
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

If you want to help people, read existing threads and answer questions people have already asked, like the rest of us do. That's how this place works.

Setting one's self up as an expert on first arrival never goes down well, fyi.

Please show me anywhere that I have set my self up as an expert I simply offered answers to questions whilst also sharing what I have done that is all.
  • VintageFeline
    edited April 2017

I wasn't trying to shut you down. I was wondering why you hadn't asked for further information from those who asked questions without enough information to give an appropriate to them answer.

If you have a look round you'll see that that's what the community does, so that people get full and accurate advice for their exact situation. It just makes sense and i would hope any professional I went to (not just fitness professionals) would probe a little deeper if I asked a question that didn't have a one size fits all question.

Yes and I know you understand you can not give 10 page answers just to cover basis. People can ask follow up questions if they find things they need to know. I try to answer a question as much as can so people don't have to waste time getting vague answers. You have to think as the first answer I give as the start of a discussion not just a complete answer that is really the only way you can look at things in nutrition and fitness.

Okay. So for example, first poster asked how to combat fatigue coming to the end of their loss. You replied the end of a cut really starts at the beginning. In what way is that answering the question about fatigue. You NEED more information to even begin to give a simple answer.

Second question was should I be eating exercise calories. You responded with drink coffee with coconut oil. This also completely fails to answer the question never mind the needing more information.

Edit: Apologies, you answered this later. You told this person not to account for their calories from exercise. But MFP uses the NEAT method, exercise should be logged separately and users working out extensively and not fuelling that exercise will be causing harm. Do you see here how giving such advice can be dangerous?

So you can see why I initially asked what I asked. And if this thread is an imperfect forum to have extended conversations that actually offer useful information and answers that aren't even relevant to the question then how about jumping into the thousands of threads by a specific poster with their specific question where you can get all of the information needed and answer appropriately.