What have you gotten to experience because of your current or ex SO?

slider728
slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
Once upon a time, I believe it was on a radio show while I was driving, they brought up a question that I thought was an excellent one. Not sure why I thought of that question today, but I did.

So what did you get to experience in life because of your SO or an ex-SO? It could be a place, it could be a thing, it could be an activity, just something you didn't know about or care about before your SO.

Just thought it might be a fun question :)

I'll go first obviously!

Because of my wife, I got to experience NASCAR. I watched racing prior to meeting my wife, but I was mainly a fan of the now defunct CART open wheel series. I met my wife and her family were NASCAR fans. I had never watch nor paid attention to NASCAR. Because of my wife, I became a fan!

Replies

• strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2017
    Because of an ex, I was lucky enough to get on a plane and travel by myself across the country to see him. Flying was a huge fear of mine and traveling alone was another. He also got me to rock climb, (afraid of heights) through tears and many I can't do this, I finally did it. Huge confidence boost when you accomplish fears.
    We aren't together for many reasons but I am forever grateful for all of the fears and experiences we experienced together.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    edited April 2017
    pSgAJnu.gif

These are the good days....
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    He introduced me to the Beavis and Butthead Show and Howard Stern's radio broadcast.

He was a peach that way. Glad I tired of him, Beavis, Butthead and Stern and I now live entirely without those wankers.

:D
  • slider728
    I grew up very poor and had very little experiences with anything. Once I started dating my then-boyfriend we traveled, even as simple as a beach vacation or Disney World, we went to concerts, I was introduced to a lot more TV/music lol, just a ridiculous amount of cool stuff :smile:

@MeeseeksAndDestroy

Just wanted to say I loved this! So reminds me of my wife and I.
  • slider728
    @Vikka_V wrote: »

Also I got opportunity to move to Jasper National Park and lived there for 1 year. Living there was truly a great experience.

Way cool! Always wanted to visit Jasper National Park! I bet that was pretty awesome!

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    slider728 wrote: »

Also I got opportunity to move to Jasper National Park and lived there for 1 year. Living there was truly a great experience.

Way cool! Always wanted to visit Jasper National Park! I bet that was pretty awesome!

Jasper is amazing, people always talk about Banff, but I preferred Jasper.
  • slider728

Always wanted to do Banff as well.....so much to do in Canada. I always spent most my time in the NW parts though just driving the remote highways. Never spent much time in the parks. Something on my bucket list :)

• FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    I wish I could list awesome experiences because of exes. But I had (have) horrible self esteem and dated some serious losers that all either lied to me, cheated on me, or stole from me. So yeah, that sucked.

But a couple of the most awesome things I've experienced by being with my husband (aside from parenthood) is all the different places we've lived, and all the people we've met, while he's chased his dream. We got married in May 2011 and moved across state lines 4 times (every summer) before our 4th anniversary. Living at the seminary was pretty eye opening and some of my best friendships were started there. I got to live in Texas for a year, and now I'm living in a rural area for the first time in my life. The process of moving was not my favorite, but experiencing new places has been pretty great.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Parenthood and marriage.
    Dysfunctional family relationships. Very different than my previous family relationships.
    Living on a reservation and the culture of the tribe.
    Atheism.
    Lots of games, movies, podcasts, anime and manga.
    New foods and drinks. My family were not adventurous eaters.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Too many things to mention so I'll go for the most important ones. I experienced FL for the fist time almost twenty years ago, and I moved there permanently within a year, and still love it.
    Self-esteem and confidence, after I got married second time. I realized that no one will help me but myself, got off my behind - finished college, traveled, experienced cool things, improved my life drastically
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Ha! My love of the Jeep came from an ex. I missed the Jeep, the boy - not so much. I bought my own.

My husband and I habe widened each other's musical horizons. I think we're both grateful for that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    25393766349_3b983d1dc1_o_d.jpg

30728581050_2868a58f02_o_d.jpg

27223314891_655becb148_o_d.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    slider728 wrote: »

I've been wanting to do them both. My experience with the Rockies and the Cascades is that they get better as you go north, I'm sure once you get into Canada they're incredible. The photos I've seen don't really leave any room for doubt, but photos can't do a place like that justice.

Beth hates crowds and I think Jasper will be a lot better for us.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Ex wife and her family:
    I worked in architectural woodworking, boarded horses*, and got to be related to some of the finest scientific minds in the country. Of course three smart and interesting kids out of the process, too. I've no regrets.

*I still own the farm :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Because of my ex I know what its like to live with an addict and what its like to go from wife to caregiver. I had to keep his pills in a safe or he would eat all 120 pain pills within two weeks. I know what its like to have to hide my wallet in my own home because he would steal any thing he could get his hands on to buy more pills. I supported him mentally, physically, and financially.

In February, I told him I wanted a divorce. I kicked his *kitten* to the curb and I feel like a gaint weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The world is at my finger tips and the possibilities are endless.

Mad Re5pext
  • MeadowRae
    MeadowRae Posts: 46 Member
    I grew up very poor and had very little experiences with anything. Once I started dating my then-boyfriend we traveled, even as simple as a beach vacation or Disney World, we went to concerts, I was introduced to a lot more TV/music lol, just a ridiculous amount of cool stuff :smile:

This reminds me of my ex from high school. I grew up very sheltered in a religious home. My ex husband was multiracial, so I was exposed to Spanish, some amazing food, and definitely a different perspective than my own. I also learned to be almost fluent in sign language from an extended family member of his. We aren't together anymore because he became abusive, but I always loved his family and I'm glad I got to spend the time with them.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    All the glory of DIY home renovations, some of it is fun, but I have developed a hatred for drywall dust....