Beginner runner (C25K) - question about pain

Options
I've just started C25K, I'm a big lad and pretty overweight, I've just done W1D1 and I managed it alright, I was pretty shattered by the end of it but nothing too bad.

My muscles feel really sore now though just 45 minutes post workout, I never used to get this when I was using my exercise bike.

Should I wait until the pain has gone completely before going again or should I just take a day off and then get back on it regardless.

The surprising thing is that it isn't my actual joints but more my muscles, I would have expected it to be the other way around due to the extra timber that I carry.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's likely to just be adaptation, so I'd suggest sticking with the plan.

The main thing I'd suggest is a moderate pace, to manage the muscular stress a little.

• CraigontheCoast
    CraigontheCoast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was where you are a year ago, and the pain is just a normal part of the process. I used an elliptical for two years before starting running, and the impact on the body is much more severe with running, so I'm not too surprised you're feeling different that after your exercise bike. Sounds to me like you're where you need to be. There's a difference between the bad pain of an injury and the good pain of post-run soreness, and I don't know how else to tell them apart besides just pushing on and finding out the difference yourself. Best of luck and I hope you find a plan that works for you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Did you stretch thoroughly? You should be ok for your next run as you're not meant to run consecutive days.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    soreness comes with beginning to run.

make sure you warm up properly and go SLOW....your NOT aiming to do 5K in 30 minutes so go SLOW....barely above walking pace.

any day you feel your too sore for running, jump on the elliptical
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    slow slow slow slow slow.

continue with the plan with the day off in between and make sure you go slow. slower than you think possible for running. You may even find yourself slower than other people walking, that's fine, it helps the adaptation.

• leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well I done it today at a reasonable pace, not fast by any stretch of the imagination but certainly not slow, it didn't kill me either (until the very last one) I guess that even though I'm a big old unit the time I spent on my exercise bike previously has helped me out.

Should I still try to slow down even more or just keep on at the speed that I'm relatively comfortable at
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    actually, you might find the start of the 2nd activity "interesting", but once the muscles warm-up you should feel a lot better (or that might be just me)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »

Should I still try to slow down even more or just keep on at the speed that I'm relatively comfortable at

For the time being maybe keep at the speed you are comfortable at (you should be able to have a conversation). However, when you get to the week where it's a continual 20 minute run you may find you need to slow down in order to run the distance. In my opinion it is better to slow down to complete the 20 minutes at a 'run' pace than to stop, walk and keep repeating weeks.

Glad things are going well for you.

• simonbraunercave
    simonbraunercave Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The ache - as opposed to having pulled something - is DOMS and normal. In fact its proof you are doing your body good. Most important thing is to warm up and down by stretching - a really good stretch afterwards is essential - it will itself be a little painful but a great relief and stop you harming yourself.
  • cmk5444
    cmk5444 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Listen to everything already said in this thread it is spot on accurate. And listen to your body too. Bits of you will ache that you never imagined (but in a good way, trust me!). I had the same adjustment from cycling to running. I imagined I was quite fit as I put a lot of miles in on my bike, but you use different bits when running and there is no bike to support your body when you do it (which leads to the bits of you will ache comment I just made!). I found it a bit of a shock. It will pass, so stick with it, enjoy it and good luck!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For DOMS, I take bromelain. It doesn't work immediately, but after a couple days, I went from chronic 18-22 mi / week to 28-36 mi week with little to no soreness-- suddenly I could run every day, wherein before only every other day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The best prevention for muscle soreness is a good round of stretches after the run. I use it as a signal that I am about to get stronger.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I done it today at a reasonable pace, not fast by any stretch of the imagination but certainly not slow, it didn't kill me either (until the very last one) I guess that even though I'm a big old unit the time I spent on my exercise bike previously has helped me out.

are you running consecutive days?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you've got the time, there's nothing wrong with taking an extra few minutes at a walk to cool down.
  • heidi162
    heidi162 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just started C25K, I'm a big lad and pretty overweight, I've just done W1D1 and I managed it alright, I was pretty shattered by the end of it but nothing too bad.

My muscles feel really sore now though just 45 minutes post workout, I never used to get this when I was using my exercise bike.

Should I wait until the pain has gone completely before going again or should I just take a day off and then get back on it regardless.

The surprising thing is that it isn't my actual joints but more my muscles, I would have expected it to be the other way around due to the extra timber that I carry.

• heidi162
    heidi162 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would think it's just because,your doing different exercise. I am on the same plan and up to week 4 day 2. Day 3 tomorrow. Try doing the strength and flex exercises on the day your not running...keep going it's a good plan.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options

are you running consecutive days?

Cheers everyone, I literally did half of w1d1 yesterday, time wasn't on my side to do the whole thing in the morning and I just wanted to see how I felt, I did the full thing at about 5:30am today and I'm planning on doing it once every 2 or 3 days from here on in.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised what muscles end up sore when running. I've done long runs and the next day my abs have been really sore, without actually working them out. Working out with muscle soreness could actually help-it sounds like your body is simply adapting, which is awesome. That being said, keep an eye on your shin soreness, shin splints suck and you can't run that pain off!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me a lot as a runner is walking. We have a big dog who needs a couple of miles every day. When I wake up stiff and sore, the morning walk helps loosen me up. At the end of the day, we go for another walk before bed so any stiffness I feel from my afternoon run goes away. It helps to strengthen the muscles and joints without any issues with impact.
  • sluggo1721
    sluggo1721 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started the C210k app on February 1 at about 270 lbs. I stuck to the plan and am a couple of weeks from running a 10k. I have lost another 20lbs which has helped but a couple of things I did were get a good pair of running shoes from a running shoe store where they can tell you what kind of shoe you need. I also changed up my running and shortened my stride which has really helped with the knee and ankle pain. Its great when you start adding the miles because you burn so many more calories. I also bought a Garmin watch so I can see my pace while I am running which seems to help me not burn out in the beginning of the run.