Beginner runner (C25K) - question about pain

Options

Replies

• kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm on C25K W2D2 and I get incredibly tight calves and my feet can hurt (flat footed, need lots of support there) when I go on the treadmill. The first 2 days, I stopped halfway through to strech my calves out and was able to finish through it without as much pain as it could have been. Part of it is streching, another part is pushing through the pain/soreness. I see the walking and jogging as a 1:2 ratio, so my walk is a pace of 2.5 and my jog is a pace of 5.0, not as fast as I could go, but it's managable for the endurance that I'm trying to build. Find your pace that works comfortably for you and go every other day or every other other day.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you're sore, you're training too hard. This is coming from the guy that runs with O E rest day a week.

Stretching does little for acidosis in the muscles. Also stretching should be done carefully and properly to avoid injury. Static stretching should be avoided.
  • ShielaFrancisco
    ShielaFrancisco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your body is not ready for it that is why you feel the muscle pain. but when you do it as a routine your muscles will
    feel it and it will be normal no more pain anymore :-)
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    People have mentioned stretching but you also should be drinking a ton of water to help flush out that latic acid. The general rule is 1/2 your body weight in oz, but I would encourage you to drink more.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    darbunk wrote: »
    People have mentioned stretching but you also should be drinking a ton of water to help flush out that latic acid.

What's that based on?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Like others said, it sounds like the normal pain of doing a new exercise.

However, there are things you can do though to alleviate the pain such as runner's yoga and /or foam rolling. I usually do those the evening after a hard workout before I go to bed. By morning, I feel a lot better. I have a runner's yoga DVD i bought on Amazon. There are also YouTube videos for both the yoga and the foam rolling. Just as an FYI, I know a lot of guys seem to be intimidated when they hear yoga thinking it's girly, but the moves are not complex and my husband did this with me when he was running. I swear it's like magic.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well I have just got back from doing w1d2, I couldn't get out yesterday so I had a rest period of 2 days between my first and second efforts.

I found it a lot easier stamina wise today, I took a slightly different route and I think that made it a little better going on me.

Only problem is that when I got to run 5 I was getting an awful lot of pain on the top of my foot, after doing a quick google I think it would have been the anterior ligament that was giving me grief, and when I say it was giving me grief it was pretty much agony, I kept on through it although towards the end I was struggling considerably.

my calf muscles were pretty sore at the time as well.

now I have been home for over an hour and other than a few dull aches I feel fine there is nothing at all really worth mentioning.

Are there any specific stretches I could try to stop that pain to my foot, or is that just because of the extra weight that I am carrying?

It's pretty frustrating because I feel as though my lungs could handle quite a bit more but my body is failing me at the minute.

Also if I'm not suffering from any pain tomorrow morning would it hurt me to go out 2 days in a row? I know that you are supposed to take rest days but other than the pain I felt at the time I don't feel like what I have done today was all that strenuous.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Don't run consecutive days.

Swim/bike/walk or do strength training on your non running days
  • leebirm
    Options

I thought that was the answer I would get lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

This

There is a purpose to rest...

The NHS C25K plan has recommendations for bodyweight work on non running days. I'd recommend it.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm overly cautious, but because of my fear of injury, I'm only running twice a week. I'm still seeing steady progress and no problems with my troublesome joints. Stretching has helped with post-run pain immensely.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was very sore when I started running to. Dont go to fast while running nice jogging pace, and stretch :) good job !
  • leebirm
    Options
    ok just completed W2D1

much better, I feel like this one is pushing me a little bit more which is what I wanted, the pain in my foot seems to have completely gone, my knee felt a bit sore but nothing too bad at all.

I have got to invest in some better trainers though, I went to but a pair yesterday, I asked for 5 different pairs in size 12 or 13, it appears that the largest size that sports direct goes up to is size 11, I was fuming when I left the shop.

Ah well, bring on W2D2
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    ok just completed W2D1

much better, I feel like this one is pushing me a little bit more which is what I wanted, the pain in my foot seems to have completely gone, my knee felt a bit sore but nothing too bad at all.

I have got to invest in some better trainers though, I went to but a pair yesterday, I asked for 5 different pairs in size 12 or 13, it appears that the largest size that sports direct goes up to is size 11, I was fuming when I left the shop.

Ah well, bring on W2D2

Go to a proper running shop
  • leebirm
    Options
    I've got to be honest I don't think that there are many shops in my area other than JD and sports direct, there is an adidas shop but they are too expensive.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Fwiw I'm not wedded to the idea of gait analysis. It has a place but if generally suggest waiting until a running form has established before trying it.

Given your weight the Brooks Beast, Saucing Hurricane or similar would be good options.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Fwiw I'm not wedded to the idea of gait analysis. It has a place but if generally suggest waiting until a running form has established before trying it.

Given your weight the Brooks Beast, Saucing Hurricane or similar would be good options.

a proper running shop is more likely to carry more sizes.

or look online OP... just check out the returns policy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

a proper running shop is more likely to carry more sizes.

or look online OP... just check out the returns policy.

Totally worth going at least once every other year(18-24 months) even if it's over an hour... make it a day trip if necessary.

Good shoes will change your life.
  • bigmanatee
    bigmanatee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Read Bingham's book the courage to start. Also the walk run method by Galloway is an amazing concept. The walk run method is supported by science to reduce injuries. Make sure you have proper footwear. Good Luck!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    bigmanatee wrote: »
    Don't give up! Read Bingham's book the courage to start. Also the walk run method by Galloway is an amazing concept. The walk run method is supported by science to reduce injuries. Make sure you have proper footwear. Good Luck!

OP is using C25K, which is walk/run intervals