Apple cider vinegar?? Is it worth it?

Options
Misskcm
Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
Hey guys!
So I've tried to drink apple cider vinegar 2 times now. I gag every time and if it isn't the best thing you've ever done I don't want to keep doing it.
So my question is..
How did it make you feel in the long term?
I've been told you end up smelling like it anytime you sweat? Is that true?
And if I should do it long term what is the best way to have my daily 2 tbsp without wanting to run to the trash can every time??

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    What benefits are you hoping to get from it. It doesn't help with weight loss and it doesn't "cleanse" you. It makes me vomit so stopped after trying to force it down several times.

It's really good in a lot of recipes, has been shown to stabilize blood sugar for some people, topically it can help with acne in some people.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The whole weight loss nonsense re: vinegar has been around for decades. I think if it really did work it would be standard practice already.

Save it for recipes....dressings, pulled pork, BBQ sauce, etc.
  • brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do take it in the morning 8 oz water lots of ice a little apple juice, honey, or fake sugar. But I know it doesn't help with weight. It helps me to go to the bathroom. That about it.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Are you using it because you think it will help you lose weight? Because it won't make one bit of difference. Being in a calorie deficit will. So don't torture yourself. :)

^^ This ^^
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I like it in my rib glaze recipe but no way in hell I'm drinking it. No real reason to that i can see.
  • Misskcm
    Options
    I've heard that it helps clean toxins from your body. I already lose about 3 pounds a week so it's not for weight loss. I was just wondering from a "I want to be healthier" standpoint. But it doesn't sound like the benefits are actually worth the gagging!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    munkel1 wrote: »
    I've heard that it helps clean toxins from your body. I already lose about 3 pounds a week so it's not for weight loss. I was just wondering from a "I want to be healthier" standpoint. But it doesn't sound like the benefits are actually worth the gagging!!

Which toxins does it supposedly clean that your liver and kidneys don't take care of?
  • QuestToLose
    QuestToLose Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, some years back, I tried ACV. Did nothing for my weight.......and gave me GERD, the worst kind.

So no, don't.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Heads up that 3 pounds a week is a lot and not sustainable nor healthy. If you have been losing at that rate for more than a few weeks (at the most), then you need to re-visit your eating and eat more.

I no longer comment on the ACV stuff.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    In the long term it made me feel like a good cook. I smell great. I use ACV in coleslaw, barbecue sauce, potato salad, and sauerbraten. The two teaspoons I may consume in a meal don't make me gag, because they are mixed with other foods and add an acidic tang to the dish which tastes great.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I was using it for my sinuses,gave me the runs,acid reflux,nausea and lowered my already weird blood sugar, I'll never just drink it again, if its used on something fine but I think its one of those bandwagon fads like coconut oil, turmeric,etc
  • Misskcm
    Options

Heads up that 3 pounds a week is a lot and not sustainable nor healthy. If you have been losing at that rate for more than a few weeks (at the most), then you need to re-visit your eating and eat more.

I no longer comment on the ACV stuff.

The 3 pounds a week is healthy for my weight and the dramatic change in lifestyle I've taken. It's also been only a few weeks. I know it will slow down. Trust me it is not from a lack of nutritional value in my diet.

• Misskcm
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Which toxins does it supposedly clean that your liver and kidneys don't take care of?

I'm not sure? That's why I created the thread. And I said helps... as in assists, I know it doesn't do anything that you're body isn't already naturally supposed to do. I've always just heard both sides of using it (people that love it and hate it). And I've heard so much I don't know what's true or not. Or if it is just on a person to person basis.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I started taking it couple weeks ago, I like it in cranberry juice or fruit punch lemonade or any juice. I added honey when I felt a cold was coming on. It helped me go to bathroom because I just started low carb, any way I lost 7 lbs in 2 wks, probably water but it is good. Daughter said it helped her acid reflux.