Apple cider vinegar?? Is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of ACV for cooking

What you really need is white vinegar for cleaning. I love it.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything, toxin-wise. Basically, it's just something that's good to cook with. Also, drinking it can hurt your teeth enamel.
  • kthomas1219
    kthomas1219 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've never had those issues because I've always masked it well. I put it in my juices and smoothies with Stevia and lately in my Sparkling Ice Water flavored drinks and it tastes just fine. I don't even know what it tastes like really but I know it smells awful.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    munkel1 wrote: »
    I've heard that it helps clean toxins from your body. I already lose about 3 pounds a week so it's not for weight loss. I was just wondering from a "I want to be healthier" standpoint. But it doesn't sound like the benefits are actually worth the gagging!!

Heads up that 3 pounds a week is a lot and not sustainable nor healthy. If you have been losing at that rate for more than a few weeks (at the most), then you need to re-visit your eating and eat more.

I no longer comment on the ACV stuff.

The 3 pounds a week is healthy for my weight and the dramatic change in lifestyle I've taken. It's also been only a few weeks. I know it will slow down. Trust me it is not from a lack of nutritional value in my diet.

You don't look like you're weighing over 300 pounds.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    my friend drinks it and she is slim
    but then again she works out and watches what she eats
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of ACV for cooking

What you really need is white vinegar for cleaning. I love it.

white vinegar is great for descaling the kettle
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    my friend drinks it and she is slim
    but then again she works out and watches what she eats

I'm pretty sure it's the latter rather than the former.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,166 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I've heard that it helps clean toxins from your body. I already lose about 3 pounds a week so it's not for weight loss. I was just wondering from a "I want to be healthier" standpoint. But it doesn't sound like the benefits are actually worth the gagging!!

Which toxins does it supposedly clean that your liver and kidneys don't take care of?

I'm not sure? That's why I created the thread. And I said helps... as in assists, I know it doesn't do anything that you're body isn't already naturally supposed to do. I've always just heard both sides of using it (people that love it and hate it). And I've heard so much I don't know what's true or not. Or if it is just on a person to person basis.

In short, if it actually did everything people claim it did, everyone would be using it, and you would not be hearing of people suffering from major health issues because of drinking it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Which toxins does it supposedly clean that your liver and kidneys don't take care of?

I'm not sure? That's why I created the thread. And I said helps... as in assists, I know it doesn't do anything that you're body isn't already naturally supposed to do. I've always just heard both sides of using it (people that love it and hate it). And I've heard so much I don't know what's true or not. Or if it is just on a person to person basis.

You don't need to detox your body and any product that is marketed as something that cleans toxins should be an automatic red flag. Never once in all the detox and cleanse threads we've had on this site has anyone been able to answer that question about which toxins the product supposedly gets rid of. That should also be a red flag.

For weight loss, there is no magic pill or special food/beverage that will accelerate this. A calorie deficit is what is required for weight loss, and ACV and other products that claim to help with weight loss don't create that calorie deficit for you.

Some people report some benefits from ACV for some minor ailments, and as you can see, because we've had so many threads lately, there are lots of good culinary and household uses for it.

Additionally whatever sites you're reading where people are claiming detox and weight loss benefits of ACV, I would be skeptical of ALL the content on that site.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Depending on your hair type, ACV is a really excellent rinse for your hair. It leaves mine very silky, and helps control dandruff. I use it after the shampoo and before the conditioner.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Heads up that 3 pounds a week is a lot and not sustainable nor healthy. If you have been losing at that rate for more than a few weeks (at the most), then you need to re-visit your eating and eat more.

I no longer comment on the ACV stuff.

The 3 pounds a week is healthy for my weight and the dramatic change in lifestyle I've taken. It's also been only a few weeks. I know it will slow down. Trust me it is not from a lack of nutritional value in my diet.

You don't look like you're weighing over 300 pounds.

It's because I switched to gluten free and was over 200 pounds. My doctor and I have talked about it. He said although I could eat more if I wanted I'm at a healthy daily calorie goal even with how active my lifestyle is now. I'll probably level out to 1-2 pounds in the next couple weeks.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I add it to gelatine for a protien treatment on my hair or in water as a hair rinse

Otherwise it makes a lovely salad dressing
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i tried it for a month. I tried mixing with water and drinking it straight. I saw no changes
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    I drink it in the form of "shrub" which is a lightly sweetened fruit-enhanced ACV, possibly with spices - shrub is also sometimes called "drinking vinegar". When I mix it with my vodka and soda, it's delicious and relaxing.

Seriously, ACV's not a detox, it's not a health drink. I've heard rumors it can aid digestion in older folks (i.e. my age) that have reduced stomach acid, but there's no miracle. If you don't enjoy it, don't drink it. Life is too short.

And +1 to the idea that 3 pounds a week is a risky, potentially unhealthy weight loss rate, unless you weigh more than 300 pounds. You're risking losing more than a minimum of lean body mass along with fat (there's only so much fat your body can metabolize in a day), under-fueling your workouts and daily life, flirting with unnecessarily high adaptive thermogenesis, and taking chances with matters of appearance like complexion, hair, and nails. If you lose at this rate, and aren't under close medical supervision, it's Not A Good Plan.

If you want to take steps to be healthier, and help your body's natural processes, don't drink ACV. Instead, lose weight a little slower. I just like to see people stay strong & healthy while they achieve their goals! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I used a little ACV in a sweet and sour sauce tonight (subbing rice wine vinegar) and it was very good.

http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2014/03/ginger-garlic-cocktail-meatballs/

I see no need to include vinegar every day. It's not a vitamin or anything.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Have used it I do feel it works also good for the joints
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    eating low carb, helps me go to the bathroom, I am even using it for brown spots on skin, don't know if it will help or not, says it takes a long time.