Fitness Trackers worth it or waste of money?

Options
Hello,

I have lost alot of weight and now invested in a Personal Trainer to help me get rid of the extra fat. He gave me a programme but also suggested I invest in an activity tracker to keep a better track on cals burnt ( ones on cardio machines dont give true account) I also do classes tone, pump and cardio ones. He has suggested fitbit charge 2 due to heart rate monitor.

I don't want to spend money on an item like this and find it is not worth it.

Can anyone help please advice needed.
Thanks
Wendy

Replies

• INeustaedter
    INeustaedter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor has been my best training friend for years. It's the only thing I trust in terms of calories burned. It keeps me on target. Who cares how many steps you take per day? You want more calories burned than consumed and you want to be fit. Keep moving and keep yourself honest with HR monitor and eat clean. The weight will soon start to drop off.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge 2 and is well worth the money.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Honestly, for me, it's just a fun accessory. It hasn't helped or hindered any weight loss efforts or training goals. I know it's not 100% correct and therefor do not put faith fully in to it. I love that it connects with my phone a notifies me of a message/call so I can keep my ringer off without missing calls. So no, it's not necessary, some trackers are more accurate than others, but they are an accessory to fitness and do have some motivational benefits it's that's your thing.

edit to add: it's definitely worth the money to me, I've worn it everyday since buying it. That said, we have expendable money so it isn't an issue at all. I'm just trying to say that it is definitely not a necessity if you don't have that kind of money to spend, but it can still be worth it if you utilize it.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit just to find out stats, which I know accuracy may not be 100%. It has encouraged me to get up and move when I'd rather be laying on the couch. To me, it was worth the money.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It's a toy. Calories in are more important than calories out. After comparing data from a few machines/averages online you can figure out the basic numbers anyway. For example, I know I burn about 100 calories per kilometer, give or take. I know that I can give myself about 100 calories for a 1 hr dance class, 150 if I am out of breath the whole time, maybe 50 if it has a lot of down time. I used a heart rate monitor for fun/to see averages for a while, but even that turned into a toy since my heart rate was always in the same ranges for the same activities.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch an I love it. It's calorie count is pretty dead one. I have my set to tell me if I'm inactive for to long, it beeps or vibrates an tells me to move. You can set them up to challenge friends to steps taken, calories burned, stand time.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit HR2. Not only does it keep track of my steps and rough estimate of calories burned, the most helpful thing has been the hourly reminders to move my booty. I sit at a desk all day and without the reminders, I probably could sit here for 4 hours straight. Totally worth the money in my book!
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge 2, I have it for motivation and for me to set a benchmark. I never used to walk, now I'm aiming for 10k steps a day. Any activity is good activity, it just helps me keep motivated.
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have an apple watch. I love it. <3 Best $400 ever spent.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »
    I love my Fitbit HR2. Not only does it keep track of my steps and rough estimate of calories burned, the most helpful thing has been the hourly reminders to move my booty. I sit at a desk all day and without the reminders, I probably could sit here for 4 hours straight. Totally worth the money in my book!

See, I turn off my reminders because they annoy me, lol. I don't like to be told what to do. I enjoy being active and if someone/thing is telling me that I MUST be active right then, I will rebel just on principal. But those reminders are there for a reason because they do motivate some people!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    I love my fitbit just to find out stats, which I know accuracy may not be 100%. It has encouraged me to get up and move when I'd rather be laying on the couch. To me, it was worth the money.

This. I don't use the Fitbit to calculate my calories anymore*, but rather look at it for data regarding moving. I'm not fundamentally active, and having this small reminder to watch what I'm doing and keep going is really helpful.

(* I trusted it for a year or so, and it seemed more or less accurate for my purposes -- but it psychologically didn't work for me.)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've contemplated jumping on that bandwagon, but having lost over 60 pounds through diligent eating and lots of exercise and monitoring my heart rate the good ol' fashioned way, sometimes checking my pulse, sometimes talking to myself to see if I can actually talk while my heart rate is elevated, I personally don't think I need one. Out of curiosity, I occasionally check my steps on my phone if I remember to carry it around and I do use Map My Hike to keep track of distance, elevation and estimates of calories burned so I'm not totally without a "gadget."
  • rachgh3
    rachgh3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i have a flex 2 - it doesnt have the HR monitor. but i use it every day to help me make sure i do movements at work as i have a desk job and i like the sleep tracker too. this one is also waterproof so i can use it swimming which i love. BUT i have found that the calorie adjustment doesnt match other apps i have used such as map my walk for example. i walked 16 mins today for example according to map my walk and burnt 354 calories (allegedly lol) but the fitbit didnt adjust the calories and only recorded 8 mins of 'fitness'
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I got an Apple Watch (Series 1) for Christmas. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I've totally flipped.

I love it. I also like all the other crap it does as well.... I can preview text messages, phone calls, etc if the phone is put away or when I'm driving. Combining the Apple Watch with my bluetooth headphones, I hardly have to touch my phone.

It works well with my fitness apps, like Strong and MapMyRun. The heart rate monitor works well for cardio, but no so well for pulling strength exercises, like deadlift. That's true for any wrist HRM though.

I don't know how much better the Apple Watch 2 is than the 1. But you can get the Series 1 at a very reasonable cost I believe.

The downside is that it needs to be charged most nights. Which I don't mind since I don't like anything on my wrists while sleeping. However, you don't get any data about sleeping patterns like with other fitness trackers. So there's that.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I actually just had a conversation with co-workers this morning about this. I have a FitBit and so does one of them, the other was asking what we thought and if worth it. We both agreed that they are not 100% accurate on calories and steps but that they motivate us so much more so it's worth it to us.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you, then do it. Otherwise, it has limited use. It can track your steps and give you an idea how many calories you burned from that. Everything else about it comes from the marketing department. Heart rate and calories are not really related, so using the HRM for anything other than a training tool is a waste of time.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have lost alot of weight and now invested in a Personal Trainer to help me get rid of the extra fat. He gave me a programme but also suggested I invest in an activity tracker to keep a better track on cals burnt ( ones on cardio machines dont give true account) I also do classes tone, pump and cardio ones. He has suggested fitbit charge 2 due to heart rate monitor.

I don't want to spend money on an item like this and find it is not worth it.

Can anyone help please advice needed.
    Thanks
    Wendy

A fitbit will have no idea how many calories you burn on cardio machines. Is it worth 100 of your dollars to still not know that?
  • kt_kat_88
    kt_kat_88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love my charge 2. It motivates me to push myself during cardio to increase my HR
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how, and if, you use it. There's now way we can answer that question for you.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I find them a waste of money but if it helps then go for it. I use the TDEE method and figure our my deficit and don't worry about exercise calories . It has helped me lose more than 50 pounds.