Elliptical or Treadmill to lose weight???

Options
2»

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    The best exercise to lose weight is the exercise that you enjoy and will continue with!
  • tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @nomorefatchick try to watch movies or listening to your favorite music or reading gym motivation/memes .... I will psych myself with those to complete my elliptical journey. Of course if on treadmill you'll find it harder.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    emyjuita6 wrote: »
    @nomorefatchick try to watch movies or listening to your favorite music or reading gym motivation/memes .... I will psych myself with those to complete my elliptical journey. Of course if on treadmill you'll find it harder.

yea i do listen to songs should try watching some series or movie..
  • STEPH3d
    STEPH3d Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would suggest alternating either of those machines. Or you could split your time on both. I tend to get bored using the same thing all the time. Also consider doing HIIT intervals on both. Cardio is a must along with a good weight lifting routine. Adding the weights will make a big difference in your weight loss. I would not depend on sole cardio to make it happen.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    STEPH3d wrote: »
    I would suggest alternating either of those machines. Or you could split your time on both. I tend to get bored using the same thing all the time. Also consider doing HIIT intervals on both. Cardio is a must along with a good weight lifting routine. Adding the weights will make a big difference in your weight loss. I would not depend on sole cardio to make it happen.

sure thank you.. I am kind of doing arm lifting with dumbbells... would appreciate if you can suggest more things to do for weight loss on "weight lift" thingy!!
  • sbrooks3737
    sbrooks3737 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love to watch TV on the elliptical at my local Y. A couple night per week I'll jump on and do an hour while watching Grey's Anatomy or anything I choose. I choose a program of 2 minutes lower intensity followed by 1 minute higher intensity. A couple of other nights per week, I will get on the treadmill do a couple miles at whatever pace I feel up to. I get bored just running, so sometimes it's walking at a high incline at 3.5 mph, other times I'll go 1 mile at 6 mph and then intervals for the second mile. Keep trying new things and do what feels good, not what punishes. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I plan on getting back to jogging outside, which always feels great - - or walking with a friend or dog. Whatever you consider being good to yourself - - not something you dread. Good luck!
  • sbrooks3737
    sbrooks3737 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Popsugar 21 day arm challenge might give you some direction with the dumbells - - https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/21-Day-Arm-Challenge-37016988 (She also has a five minute "loose the pooch" ab work out to try.) Good to target muscle groups.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    Popsugar 21 day arm challenge might give you some direction with the dumbells - - https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/21-Day-Arm-Challenge-37016988 (She also has a five minute "loose the pooch" ab work out to try.) Good to target muscle groups.

thank you so much... will definitely try..
  • northerngirl09
    northerngirl09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do both - usually 20 mins hill walking on the treadmill and 15 mins on either a random programme (machine changes intensity for you) or the HIIT programme on the elliptical. I use more calories on the treadmill but like the movement of the elliptical as I have knee damage. If my knee is playing up, I skip the treadmill and do longer on the elliptical instead.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to run, I'll run outside thank you very much.

Treadmills do occasionally try to kill people, as does natural clumsiness

Inside, I like the control over intensity that the elliptical brings.... provided it's got a long enough stride length.