I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options
Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

Replies

• davisfanny
    davisfanny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Right. I just can't do it. I'm trying hard just to cut down to one a day and trying hard to increase my water intake.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Have you tried Zevia? I don't drink much soda, but once in awhile I'll have a Zevia (zero calorie) soda. They're sweetened with stevia which I think is better for you than the artificial sweeteners. The cola ones have caffeine. My husband was a die-hard Mt. Dew fan and he's made the switch.
    I've seen this in stores but never tried it. I didn't want to buy a 60-pack only to discover I hate it. Any recommendations on flavors?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I used to really dislike the taste of diet pop so I cut it out altogether (the regular kind) but after a few weeks or months I tried again and now you couldn't pay me to drink regular pop. It feels like it leaves a film on my teeth. I much prefer to eat my sugar than drink it. Try cutting it out and either drinking coffee to replace the caffeine or take a caffeine pill to replace it.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I used to really dislike the taste of diet pop so I cut it out altogether (the regular kind) but after a few weeks or months I tried again and now you couldn't pay me to drink regular pop. It feels like it leaves a film on my teeth. I much prefer to eat my sugar than drink it. Try cutting it out and either drinking coffee to replace the caffeine or take a caffeine pill to replace it.

The teeth part was the first thing I noticed. When I did drink pop, it was staining my teeth and wearing down my enamel. I'm so happy I stopped
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Have you tried Zevia? I don't drink much soda, but once in awhile I'll have a Zevia (zero calorie) soda. They're sweetened with stevia which I think is better for you than the artificial sweeteners. The cola ones have caffeine. My husband was a die-hard Mt. Dew fan and he's made the switch.
    I've seen this in stores but never tried it. I didn't want to buy a 60-pack only to discover I hate it. Any recommendations on flavors?

I like the grapefruit the best because it seems less sweet to me. My husband likes the root beer, cream soda, and one called mountain (like Mt. Dew). There's about a dozen flavors I believe. It is a little pricey compared to the big brands, but I'll pay the extra for a healthier option.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss phase I switched from regular to diet. Now, after several years of that, I recently switched from diet to coffee, (with 1 can of diet yet at lunch).
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep drinking soda then just make yourself drink diet for a week or two until you get used to it. My husband HATED the taste of diet sodas and refused to drink them until a few years ago. He started with diet root beer because he thought it tasted more "normal" than the others. Now he drinks pretty much all of them except diet Mountain Dew.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I quit soda around 6 years ago minus the occasional sprite or ginger ale here and there. I was drinking 2-3 sodas a day, and it took about a week of being completely cut off from it before it began to be easy (subbed lemonade, water, and sweet tea). After 4 weeks, I had soda from going to an amusement park, it made me feel dehydrated and gross, and after that it was easier to quit. Now and then I'll take sips of soda to confirm the feeling, and I can tell you that it becomes overly sweet and you'll be able to recognize how it's been formulated to make you want more. I dropped 10 pounds that first summer just from cutting out soda. It's hard, but possible.
  • thischick25
    thischick25 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I started a pretty heavy MD addiction in high school (honor student--needed the caffeine after long nights of homework). I pretty much didn't shake my addiction until I was almost 30, when I realized that I was chugging a large coffee and an energy drink in the same day and still felt tired. Getting headaches from no caffeine is a sign that you need to cut yourself off.
    I cannot drink diet soda because I can't tolerate any kind of artificial sweetener, and stevia makes me gag because it leaves a bitterness at the back of my throat no matter how small the amount. I weaned myself off soda by cutting it gradually with water over time, and then eventually switching to drinking more water and tea and what not. Going from that into a 30-day water-only challenge cut me off soda pretty solidly.
    I still have a coffee or tea in the morning, but it's because I like coffee and tea, not because I need the caffeine. I have even managed to get down to only a little flavored creamer and no sugar!