I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Sugar is highly addictive so that's why you may feel ill and have headaches... it's like stopping heroin after decades of using.

Oh no - you didn't!!?!!

I didn't get rid of it entirely, if that's what you're asking. lol I just get rid of a lot of foods that have high sugar content, like soda. My diet isn't perfect, and I doubt anyone is. I just meant if you go from hundreds of grams of sugar to less than 40g then you'll feel it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    Sugar is highly addictive so that's why you may feel ill and have headaches... it's like stopping heroin after decades of using.

Oh no - you didn't!!?!!

I didn't get rid of it entirely, if that's what you're asking. lol I just get rid of a lot of foods that have high sugar content, like soda. My diet isn't perfect, and I doubt anyone is. I just meant if you go from hundreds of grams of sugar to less than 40g then you'll feel it.

No, i think she was referring to you comparing sugar to heroin :wink:
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is delicious, have found it at dollar general! (Do not know where the OP is from). $1 or less for 32oz. Zero calories. The lemon lime tastes like regular sprite, not even diet! This is caffeine free.
  • LucasLean
    edited April 2017
    Options

Oh no - you didn't!!?!!

That's because I was reading an article that discussed research of the addictiveness of sugar compared to cocaine/heroine. hah

Here's an example: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/sugar-addictive-cocaine-heroin-studies-suggest-article-1.356819

It was interesting.
  • Scotty_51
    Scotty_51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drank at least 6 cans of coke a day for over 30 years, I was super addicted to it but now only drink water.
    Crystal light in cans of carbonated water is how I got off the soda, slowly replaced the soda with that. That took a month, I then switched to plain water.
    I like ice cold water, so I got some hydroflasks and now I always have ice cold water.

I'm 50 and once I quit soda (and sugar) I discovered that I have more energy than I did when I was 30, and feel great.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Oh no - you didn't!!?!!

That's because I was reading an article that discussed research of the addictiveness of sugar compared to cocaine/heroine. hah

Here's an example: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/sugar-addictive-cocaine-heroin-studies-suggest-article-1.356819

It was interesting.

Honestly, you need to find better articles :smile: Comparing these two gives people all the justification they need when they cant/wont/refuse to limit sugary foods.
  • LucasLean
    edited April 2017
    Options

Oh no - you didn't!!?!!

It was interesting.

Honestly, you need to find better articles :smile: Comparing these two gives people all the justification they need when they cant/wont/refuse to limit sugary foods.

I just googled that article in a few seconds.

I'm sorry though. I didn't understand my comment would offend so many.

I'm more prone to change when I understand how negative something is. If sugar is bad, I simply stop having as much. I don't overthink things. If they can't/won't/refuse to change, then there's something psychological going on instead.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you haven't tried fruit infused water I really think you should try! I love adding fruits to my water it's so amazing mint, lemon, watermelon it's amazing!! You can get a normal pitcher and prep it or use a fruit infusing water bottle whatever you like.
    I seriously used to be addicted to soda like 3 bottles a day, and I started to drink fruit infused water, and I started to lose weight. Most of my calories were from soda, and candy and other stuff so it helped me out!

Good luck Op I'm seriously rooting for you! Can't wait to see more posts and i love that you're trying to make positive changes in your life.
    :smile: have you tried vitamin water? I like the propel with the electrolytes like they have great flavors!
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Have you tried Zevia? I don't drink much soda, but once in awhile I'll have a Zevia (zero calorie) soda. They're sweetened with stevia which I think is better for you than the artificial sweeteners. The cola ones have caffeine. My husband was a die-hard Mt. Dew fan and he's made the switch.
    I've seen this in stores but never tried it. I didn't want to buy a 60-pack only to discover I hate it. Any recommendations on flavors?

I love Zevia! I like the root beer but they should have a flavor close ish to mtn dew if you look
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to diet dr. pepper. can't live without it. My suggestion to you is fined a diet alternative. For this to work it has to be sustainable and by giving up stuff you like you're eventually going to go back to your old ways. Soda is a big calorie generator and it really hurts weight loss progress. go with the diet version of Mountain Dew if they have it. if not find something else.
  • thebryanmckinley
    thebryanmckinley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to down around 5 sodas a day. I was told to try drinking green tea in place of it combined with flavored tea of choice (for the caffeine) and research what soda does to the body (to ensure I am educated on what it is doing to add more purpose to my decision not to drink it). I haven't had or craved soda since April 23, 2013. Hope it helps. It is well worth giving up. Trust me.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I drink tea for the caffeine and sparkling water for the bubbles. I uses to be SO addicted to Coke Zero and now I can't remember the last time I had one.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I went from multiple sodas a day to coke zero/dr. pepper ten with flavored waters on the side. Then I drank more flavored waters. What did it for me was being forced to drink v8 and such for 2 weeks straight to do an oral surgery. My taste for sodas has left me now. I can't stand them atm. Now I drink flavored waters, regular water, and fruit/veggie juices
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    All_Exits_Lead_Within Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cut down slowly, once you get to one can, have one can every second day, and so forth. Keep cutting down until you don't drink it anymore. You can replace it with coffee or tea if it's just for the caffeine, but I suspect it's the sweet fizziness that's got you hooked.

I used to drink 3-4 can's a day a few years ago and cut down slowly until I completely gave it up. Now, if I even take a sip because I'm super thirsty or need to swallow a pill, it burns like crazy and I almost vomit. It's quite amazing how our bodies adjust to things. If you really need to have soda, try sodastream, it's a bit healthier I believe. Good Luck.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Oh no - you didn't!!?!!

No... Just no.

Ugh. My stepmother just tried to explain to me how she has cut all sugar and flour out of her diet because a sugar and flour additiction ("it's just like being addicted to alcohol") which are to blame for her binge eating and weight gain. My response: "Do you find yourself shoveling spoonfuls of brown sugar or wheat flour in your mouth to stop a craving? No? Just sugary baked goods huh? Then you don't have a sugar or flour addiction. Alcoholics don't just limit themselves to vodka, they'll drink anything for a fix."

PS- I'm convinced my dad owns a time share at a rehab clinic, so she knows this. Denial is the most powerful drug out there.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was the same but i switched to diet ... it seems too sweet at first but i got used to it .... if its all about calories then why not diet? Its zero calories per can
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I LOVE soda! I still drink a diet coke every now and again but I haven't had a 'regular' soda in quite some time. For me personally, I needed to figure out what it was that I loved about soda. I discovered that I loved the carbonation, the burn I feel drinking soda is the best part to me. I made the switch to LaCroix and Spindrift.

Now, my husband loves his Mt. Dew and he loves the sugary taste not the burn. He HATES LaCrox and thinks I'm crazy for drinking it. He figures 1 can of soda into his daily calorie allotment each day. Find a compromise that works for you. Ask yourself if it's worth it to drink 180 of your calories, if it is then go for it! You can still reach your goals and drink a can of soda each day!!
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Best way is gradually...

Limit yourself to just 1 each day with dinner...
    Then to just dinner on Friday through Sunday...
    Then just Saturday
    Eventually you will be so pleased with your success you wont even want that one a week...

I completely quit soda and don't miss it at all...
    Don't ever let something like that have that much control over you...