I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options

Replies

• SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Try Arbonne Fizz sticks, they are a great pick me up to start the day and better for you compared to soda/pop. (just add them to water)
    I used to be a Diet Coke queen, and only crave it once in a while now.
  • sarah4284
    sarah4284 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just have to do it, I tried many times, and failed many times, but the last time it worked and Ive been without it for 6months and don't crave it anymore. Try finding something other than plain water if you need to, water with lemon, seltzer water, or I love kombucha as well now..
  • davisfanny
    davisfanny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have cut down to one pop a day. It's so hard for me to do. I have been drinking lots of tea and powerade...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    davisfanny wrote: »
    I have cut down to one pop a day. It's so hard for me to do. I have been drinking lots of tea and powerade...

Yay keep up the good work! :+1: Not sure about the powerade though, i'm not familiar with it, but isn't it very similar to soda?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are moving in the right direction @davisfanny I read elsewhere that you were depending a lot on Red Bull. This is better.
  • shnnon4
    shnnon4 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Carbonated Water. Wal-Mart and Kroger have realllllly yummy ones. I've been soda free for about almost 2 yrs now. You got this! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. Powerade is a sugar drink isn't it? That's still a lot of calories. I had hubby switch to Mio sport. Far fewer calories.
  • shnnon4
    Options
    misciej wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Cold turkey for 6-8 weeks. After I did that, I found I just couldn't stomach the stuff anymore. It was undrinkable.

THIS! I loved my soda, back then. Now..well recently my son brought home a Cherry Coke Zero. I took a small sip to taste and then I took a larger gulp and that was it. After about 15 minutes my stomach became bloated again and hurt. I will not touch the stuff again.

Agreed! It taste like sugar water and grosses me out! :s
  • lkafka1063
    lkafka1063 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What I found most satisfying is Perrier water ( for the carbonation factor), squeezed lemon to taste, and crushed ice. I wouldn't advise resorting to any diet sodas, as they are loaded with chemicals your body can't process, and you do more harm than good. It also doesn't do anything to help you move away from soda products, which is the habit you are really wanting to move away from. To help with the caffeine withdrawals, try dark chocolate. The higher the cacao level the better. I've found 70% is a good place to begin. And it is very rich, so less may satisfy your sweet tooth. And it's purported to be a healthy treat. I put it in the freezer and ration as I like. Good luck to you in your journey to health. And remember, it's not dieting, but your diet for life.
  • shnnon4
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For the caffeine fix, you could always take 5 hr energy shots. They provide caffeine AND a a great dietary supplement.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OP when you are ready to really quit you will, but you got to want too first. Every bad habbit addiction I had, I stopped when I finally really wanted too, I mean everything. Soda = 10 years quit, Smoking = 1 year 2 mo, drinking alcohol = 2 years, other things Id rather not mention = 7 years lol. Trust me when you mentally make that decision to stop and really have intent behind it, and not fooling yourself because you know when you really want to do something vs when you want to because of some reason usually for others or people, but when its for you and only you and that "you" want too.

Im sorry if that wording was confusing just a bunch of thoughts came out all at once and grammer never was my strong area!
  • rianneil
    rianneil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of soda as well. 12 cans of coke a day. I switched to seltzer water which gives the bubble sensation like soda but without the sugar or calories. Took a while to get used to the flavor, but haven't had a soda in 8 months.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I loved Diet Coke but I discovered that the reason i drank so much soda is because I didn't like water. I feel like the water everywhere tastes bad. I switched my soda habit for my favorite bottled water...more expensive yes. Silly, yes. In my head...probably. Got rid of soda...check!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    davisfanny wrote: »
    Most my calories come from drinking soda. MT Dew is my biggest issue. I get headaches from lack of caffeine....

Every time you want to reach for a soda. Drink water instead.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I know its not healthy but also if you are having caffeine headaches you can buy Stay Awake's from Walmart they are 200mg caffeine pills that will end that issue until you can get used to not drinking cola.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rianneil wrote: »
    I used to drink a lot of soda as well. 12 cans of coke a day. I switched to seltzer water which gives the bubble sensation like soda but without the sugar or calories. Took a while to get used to the flavor, but haven't had a soda in 8 months.

I've often seen posters on here claim that no one drinks that much soda everyday.. I'm sure there are many more people out there like you @rianneil who drink the same amount day in day out like you used to.

• MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea. And the added bonus that coffee drinkers have less depression than soda drinkers. :)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I used to have a glass of Diet Pepsi every day. It was like an addiction but more likely just a habit developed over years.

I stopped drinking it last year, instead I have water, sometimes sparkling water, with lemons or berries.

You'll feel better and your skin and hair will look so much better once you cut all those t nasty things out.