I drink a lot of soda. Anyone have any suggestions to help cut the soda out??

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    La Croix. Still gives you the bubbles without the calories, sugar, or salt.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Another thing is to buy the cans and measure out a certain amount each time to pour out. Usually an ounce a week does it.

Here is a great website: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20902395,00.html/view-all
  • tjhovey
    tjhovey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of Coke. I switched to carbonated flavoured water/seltzer, and discovered it wasn't the soda taste I really like; it was the fizz. I bought a Soda Stream machine for home because it's cheaper and easier than buying seltzer all the time, and I put 4 bottles in the fridge each day, and basically drink them all throughout the day. No more soda craving, and I'm better-hydrated, too. If you want flavour, flavoured seltzers ("natural flavour" in the ingredient list), or even the flavour syrups for Soda Stream work.

It can take a while to reduce caffeine intake without side effects -- going cold turkey is painful (literally -- I got bad headaches), so easing off gently over a couple of weeks would be my suggestion. While I have become accustomed to coffee with no sugar (a dietician suggested using lactose-free milk in my coffee because it's sweeter than normal milk), tea is a great option because with all the varieties and flavours available, it can taste great with no sugar/sweetener at all.

I have read that while artificial sweeteners don't have the calories, they can impact insulin levels (glycemic impact) similar to sugar. If this is true, you may be saving calories, but you're not saving your health. I use stevia once in a while, but it's the 'new kid on the block', so long-term use/safety remains to be proven. If anyone has reliable (e.g. medical school/university/hospital) studies on artificial sweeteners' glycemic impact and/or stevia safety, I'd be interested in getting links.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    tjhovey wrote: »
    I have read that while artificial sweeteners don't have the calories, they can impact insulin levels (glycemic impact) similar to sugar. If this is true, you may be saving calories, but you're not saving your health. I use stevia once in a while, but it's the 'new kid on the block', so long-term use/safety remains to be proven. If anyone has reliable (e.g. medical school/university/hospital) studies on artificial sweeteners' glycemic impact and/or stevia safety, I'd be interested in getting links.

Sigh.

What you read is wrong.
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also, I would like to add that the leaves of the stevia plant (and yes, it's a plant) have been used for sweetening in South America for over 1500 years. Now, the powder form and how it's extracted/used in food, that's relatively recent, but even then, they've been using it for decades in Japan. Just because it's (relatively) new in the US doesn't mean that Stevia is the 'new kid on the block'. I used stevia for years before it became well known because I liked the faint licorice taste in my hot tea.

That being said, I also have a daily Diet Coke. I went off all soda for a while as I was acclimating myself to drinking water, but now that I'm comfortably at 4L of water a day, I added it back in because I just really like the taste. Absolutely no impact on my weight loss. And I still use stevia or honey for my tea, depending on the flavor of tea. (Honey for herbal, stevia for puerh/black). It works for me!