Vegetarian recipe suggestions please!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way through the 1,000 Vegan Recipes cookbook. I have just made Argentinian Bean and Vegetable Stew (note: for truly accurate calories, weigh your vegetables. I just went with a generic '1 red onion' etc., but I've also got quite a bit to lose and I'm not sweating whether my onion was 45 or 60 calories split 6 ways. I've been told that when you get down to the last 10 lbs or so, every little bit counts that much more.)

2vjrtfr0qoa0.png

Heat oil on medium in large pot. I used a 5-qt Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic, red pepper, and squash (the recipe actually called for a medium butternut squash but I find them a pain to peel, seed, and chop, so I used 2x284 grams of frozen), cover, and cook 10 minutes.

Add diced tomatoes (undrained), chilis, broth, spices, and sugar, bring to a boil, and then simmer 20 minutes uncovered.

Add corn, kidney beans, and salt and simmer until heated through and all veggies tender. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Add orange and heat through.

Serve garnished with parsley.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love lentil dahl. I don't have a set recipe as I sometimes use red lentils or yellow split peas or both, sometimes I'll add quinoa. I also prefer coconut based over tomato. I cook in bulk and freeze. I use Ayam branded coconut milk/cream as I find it doesn't 'split'. Another one I like is palak paneer.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    TejahBee wrote: »
    We make tofu all the time. You have to get extra firm and press/drain it well. Lentils are a great filler for any meal, as they are crazy fast to make and taste awesome with some seasoning. We also make egg drop soup sometimes with veggie broth. Add mushrooms, peppers, and rice.

Yeah agreed lentils will be your friend. Red Lentils cook really quick 20min or less. Any type of recipe that would normally use ground beef, say lasagna, spaghetti, chili, etc. You can use spiced red lentil and sometimes combine with black beans to fill up the recipe and get the texture and flavor.

That said, this is one my faves. it like a red thai curry, really flavorful and spicy.

https://vegangela.com/2014/01/09/coconut-curry-lentil-soup/
  • su05
    su05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! You could try what I like to call "rainbow quinoa"! Just steam all the veggies you'd like.. I steam broccoli, peas, sweet corn, carrots and sweet potato (if I can get my hands on it). Then, blanch 1 or 2 tomatoes and grind them with some fresh basil and a little garlic (you can skip it if you don't prefer garlic or if you're about to be kissed LOL) . Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to the instructions on the box. In a pan, add butter/olive oil/ghee, and sauté some finely chopped onions and bell peppers.. I love the colour and flavour of all three peppers.. then add the tomato- garlic paste and let it cook for about 2 mins. Add the steamed vegetables and let them cook with the sauce. Season with some salt & pepper. Add the cooked quinoa. Garnish it with a handful of toasted and crushed peanuts (love the crunch!) and some red cabbage if you'd like and viola! It fills you up quick ,tastes really good andddd it looks like you're eating a rainbow which only makes you a better unicorn!
  • danijane95
    danijane95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    gekeller wrote: »
    Press the block of tofu to remove the excess water by putting it on a plate with another plate over it, and put a can or two on the top plate to add some weight. i put the entire thing in the sink for 30 minutes to let the water drain off. I then crumble the tofu for eggless salad, or cut it into cubes or cutlets.

I usually use a textbook or two on top of my plates to really get the extra water out of there. After thirty minutes, I empty out the bottom plate and put the books back on top. I can usually get about an 8th of a cup more water out of there, which it nice because I marinate it in some soy sauce and add just a touch of moisture back in. Then, I cut it into cubes, season it with whatever ethnic flair I'm going for that day, and bake it until it's pretty crispy.

The main trick to getting good tofu is to buy extra firm and make sure you get the water out of it.

I put my salad bowl on top of mine as it's always so heavy with fruit!
  • misslibralove
    misslibralove Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make kale, wild rice and mushroom casserole that makes a good portion so I can just heat it up and go. I cook up wild rice in the rice cooker. Sautee onions set aside, then kale set aside, then cremini mushrooms with thyme, add back kale and 3tbs flour, I add 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup veggie broth , salt, pepper and add about 6 cups of cooked wild rice. I then add some grated white cheddar mix it in and put some on top and the mushrooms on top and then bake it in a large cast iron skillet at 375 until the onions are browned. So good! And good reheated
    I make this zucchini manicotti which is so good. I make zucchini noodles into ribbon shapes with a spiralizer then I make ricotta cheese with cooked spinach, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, 1 garlic clove. I then layer marinara sauce first, some zucchini noodles, then the ricotta mixture, more zucchini noodles, more marinara and top it with mozzarella and bake it for about thirty mins at 375. It can be a little watery from the zucchini but when you reheat it the next day it stays firm
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Check this list that includes majority of vegetarian recipes: https://www.changeinseconds.com/recipes/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Veggie lasagna is not quick but good for batch cooking and freezing.

Grate, shred or finely chop any veg you have lying around (courgette, carrot, spinach, onions) and lightly sautée with some garlic and salt and pepper. Mix this up with a tub of cottage cheese. Make a bechamel sauce with a tablespoon each of butter and flour and 500 ml milk. Add a handful of grated hard cheese to the bechamel. Assemble lasagna starting with a drizzle of bechamel followed by uncooked lasagna sheets and then veggie/cottage cheese mixture. Be careful not to overlap pasta sheets as those bits won’t soften. Repeat finishing with veg or bechamel. Sprinkle with some hard grated cheese. Let sit 4 hours before baking so pasta can soften or freeze for later use. Bake 20 minutes loosely covered with foil and 10 minutes uncovered. A sharp knife or skewer stuck into the lasagna should tell you if the pasta has cooked through. Thaw frozen lasagna a day in the fridge or use the defrost setting on the microwave prior to baking.
  • kirstyboak1998
    kirstyboak1998 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and potato korma with coconut milk!, meatless meatballs and pasta, chilli con carne minus beef extra beans! All delicious, satiating and low in calories! Just make more for more calories ☺️ using basic ingredients and quick and easy to make. Follow me to see these dishes in detail! Constantly trying new things. I’m vegan btw so these dishes are all vegan too!
  • abright51
    abright51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Parmesan cheese is not vegetarian, so look for vegetarian Parmesan style cheese

For all cheeses it is best to check whether they have vegetarian rennet