Apples!! Holy s**t

Options
Hi..new here and just starting to track my food etc...

I thought apples were good to eat, but going by the sugar levels they are pretty serious sugar muthas!!

Are they any good for me or not??!!

totally confused now :?

Replies

• dlrosen
    dlrosen Posts: 51
    Options
    Apples are extremely healthy for you. Its healthy sugar, fruit has a lot of healthy sugar, don't worry about it. It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies. Eat fruit!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yes! Apples are very good to you. There is some truth to that saying "An apple a day...." Sugar from fruit breaks down differently in your body than added sugar. Should you eat 10 apples a day? Probably not. But apples are very good very you, and less sugar than many other fruits (like bananas and tomatoes,and yes, tomatoes are fruit. ;) )
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Apples are extremely healthy for you. Its healthy sugar, fruit has a lot of healthy sugar, don't worry about it. It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies. Eat fruit!!

So the sucrose in the apple is different from the sucrose in a cookie, how?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You will be much better off just ignoring sugar. Unless your diabetic.

Really, fruit isn't a problem I promise.

*^^^ that cookie wouldn't be a problem either :drinker:
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Nope they're the same. The difference in how it is absorbed is in the fiber. Apples typically have a decent amount of fiber and that slows the absorption of the sugar. I would not be worried about apples or other fruits slowing down your weight loss or effecting your bodies total caloric metabolism.

There are some strains of apples that are developed to be sweeter and can have more sugar then the average apple. I think that is true for honey crisp and sweet tango.
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all, and nice to see an active forum!

I am happy with the apple sugar now, and will have to ignore the sugar intake for now, as I god dammit love the apple!

Was just a shock as I have already exceeded my sugar intake and only just go to lunch..

I have a lot to learn about nutrition, and everything I am reading is telling me this forum is a good place to start.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    With fruits and vegetables, you can seldom go wrong. They should be one of the pillars of any healthy eating lifestyle. As others noted fiber is important and you'll find that you're getting a lot more fiber when you're getting sugar from F&V than when you're getting sugar from candy, cake, cookies, and soda pop.

I usually am above my sugar settings for the day, but almost all of my sugar comes from F&V and my fiber numbers are generally fairly good.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

It is fructose in fruit, sucrose in cookie.

The difference is that fructose in your blood does not usually stimulate pancreatic insulin production whereas sucrose stimulates insulin from the pancreas so that the sucrose (which is now broken down into glucose) may be transported into the tissues.

Sucrose and fructose are different.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Apple peels contain ursolic acid which, in rat studies, increases skeletal muscle and brown fat, and decreases white fat, obesity, glucose intolerance, and fatty liver disease.
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Apples contain natural sugar. I am more cautious of added sugars.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Wondering if this thread title made anyone giggle as much as I did...
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruit - if you're going over your sugar because you're eating sweets, that's a different story.
  • shawnmsaunders
    shawnmsaunders Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Apples are ALSO one of the worst for pesticides. Usually #1 on the Dirty dozen.

I like to stick to berries for the calorie/glycemic index values ... I love bananas but have been trying to limit them due to higher calories ...
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar, but I'd really only be concerned if i was going over my daily allowance by eating it in processed foods.
    On a cautionary note, though, I do find that the more fruit I've eaten the more I crave processed sugary foods. Try adding some vegetables as snacks as an alternative to fruit.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The seeds contain cyanide and it was the apple that tempted Eve and lead to the downfall of all man kind. Dont eat apples they will kill you and make God turn from you.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    The seeds contain cyanide and it was the apple that tempted Eve and lead to the downfall of all man kind. Dont eat apples they will kill you and make God turn from you.
    :laugh:
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You will get all kind of arguments about carbs, fructose, glucose and any thing else to do with sugar. I don't fret the red sugar number as long as the majority of it is coming from fruit and veggies and not soda and candy. To each their own though, find what works for you and stick with it!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Are Apple Jacks okay? .... probably not. They're kind of gross, too.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I still remember the day I looked down at the scale and saw the number, when I was at my highest weight. I remember crying a little when I thought of all those late night apple binges that had brought me to that sad state. smh

I declared then and there that I'd never eat fruit again. Micro-nutrient needs be damned!

tumblr_m4ishaYa301qeba6m.gif