Apples!! Holy s**t

Replies

• obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Apples are extremely healthy for you. Its healthy sugar, fruit has a lot of healthy sugar, don't worry about it. It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies. Eat fruit!!

So the sucrose in the apple is different from the sucrose in a cookie, how?

It is fructose in fruit, sucrose in cookie.

The difference is that fructose in your blood does not usually stimulate pancreatic insulin production whereas sucrose stimulates insulin from the pancreas so that the sucrose (which is now broken down into glucose) may be transported into the tissues.

Sucrose and fructose are different.

Exactly.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Wondering if this thread title made anyone giggle as much as I did...

yup
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    yes they are fruit with natural s ugar
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Let's keep it simple!
    1. Fruit is healthy, nutritious, and filling. Donuts/cookies etc. are not healthy/nutritional, but only filling.

2. Part of the reason some of the healthiest places in the world are considered "the healthiest places in the world" is because of their local fruit/vegetables (no pesticides) and whole foods.

3. I mean c'mon, who has ever said, "Man, I really regret eating that _____ (fruit)" lol
  • Again, thanks for the advice and tips, albeit a few are odd "). Thankfully I am a non god believer so he won't be stealing the fruit of my loin any time soon.

Fyi, I'm not a total nutritional dunce and clearly apples are far more healthier than said cookie or other treats, however I observed my sugar levels rocketed after eating 3 apples fro breakfast and wondered how on earth I was going to be able to manage them.

No doubt I will be back again asking daft questions soon.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Apples are extremely healthy for you. Its healthy sugar, fruit has a lot of healthy sugar, don't worry about it. It a different kind of sugar compared to doughnuts and cookies. Eat fruit!!

The difference is that fructose in your blood does not usually stimulate pancreatic insulin production whereas sucrose stimulates insulin from the pancreas so that the sucrose (which is now broken down into glucose) may be transported into the tissues.

Hmmmm, apples only contain fructose? Might want to do a little more research there
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member

Hmmmm, apples only contain fructose? Might want to do a little more research there

Well I will tell you what, YOU do the research and get back to us all, we are all ears :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Well I will tell you what, YOU do the research and get back to us all, we are all ears :)

Expand the carb section, then you should prob write them and tell them fruits only have fructose

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    The seeds contain cyanide and it was the apple that tempted Eve and lead to the downfall of all man kind. Dont eat apples they will kill you and make God turn from you.

Are Apple Jacks okay? .... probably not. They're kind of gross, too.

Yes they are because they are round shapes and we all know any food that is round shapes is easier for your body to digest and be burned metabolically and turn into pure muscle. So yes, you can get jacked from Apple Jacks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi..new here and just starting to track my food etc...

I thought apples were good to eat, but going by the sugar levels they are pretty serious sugar muthas!!

Are they any good for me or not??!!

totally confused now :?

Sugar isn't the devil. Unless you have a medical condition or are otherwise insulin sensitive, you don't need to worry about it too much. The sugar in fruit is all wrapped up in fiber so your body metabolizes it more slowly and you don't get quite the insulin spike...thus why my diabetic dad can eat fruit but can't have a cookie. Fruit is packed full of vitamins and other nutrients as well, including antioxidants and pectin (a soluble fiber that helps clean out your arteries).

That said, you might want to keep your servings in check...I know some people that go way overboard because fruit is "healthy"...there's this say, "too much of a good thing..." Just eat a balanced and nutritious diet and you'll be fine....
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Don't eat something unless you want to.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I've lost almost 40 lbs tracking nothing except calories. It's working for me.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    I have regretted eating a fruit... see below.

3. "Man, I really regret eating that durian fruit"

Then again, I knew what I was getting into when I started. :laugh:
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    cat2kitten_zps57714f0e.jpg

Apples are good. I lost most of my weight eating apples every day.
  • xbted
    xbted Posts: 41 Member
    Holy crap. People, go to your chemistry classes. And seriously, apples have quite a bit of fructose, but they also have a quite a bit of all the other nutrients you need. I love apples for the energy and juice and whatever. If you don't want calories, then don't eat. Are you all freaking insane??? You need some energy to get by. Apples are full of great energy and vitamins.
  • __Di__

Expand the carb section, then you should prob write them and tell them fruits only have fructose

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

I was merely answering a post about the difference between cookies and apples. Which I did :)

I never once said anything about apples ONLY having fructose, I said about the DIFFERENCE between apples and cookies.

Cookies have sucrose, apples have fructose :)
  • __Di__
    Holy crap. People, go to your chemistry classes. And seriously, apples have quite a bit of fructose, but they also have a quite a bit of all the other nutrients you need. I love apples for the energy and juice and whatever. If you don't want calories, then don't eat. Are you all freaking insane??? You need some energy to get by. Apples are full of great energy and vitamins.

Exactly!

I eat three per day on many occasions, they have to be all crispy though, I don't like those that have gone all sort of powdery(ish),m if they do that, I move on to more oranges :laugh:
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    I still remember the day I looked down at the scale and saw the number, when I was at my highest weight. I remember crying a little when I thought of all those late night apple binges that had brought me to that sad state. smh

I declared then and there that I'd never eat fruit again. Micro-nutrient needs be damned!

tumblr_m4ishaYa301qeba6m.gif

:laugh: This made my day.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Sugar is Sugar to a diabetic. But I normally eat apples (low-carbing right now). They are so good for you. I eat protein with my apple (peanut butter spread on slices, or string cheese, or a piece of chicken/turkey). The protein will keep sugars in check which you enjoy the healthy benefits of the apple.

but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy organic. You want to eat the peel AND you don't want to eat the pesticide!!!! I miss apples and will definitely add them back in when I up my carbs a bit.