Garmin Users

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The only time I notice the size is when I'm trying to fit it under sleeves... but the only time I do that is if I'm wearing it recreationally (not for training). With short sleeves, I don't notice it. With long sleeves, I typically wear it over my sleeves for easier access/viewing. I've never had a problem with it or felt that it was too big.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The only time I notice the size is when I'm trying to fit it under sleeves... but the only time I do that is if I'm wearing it recreationally (not for training). With short sleeves, I don't notice it. With long sleeves, I typically wear it over my sleeves for easier access/viewing. I've never had a problem with it or felt that it was too big.

Yep- I definitely notice it when I'm putting on sweaters with tighter sleeves. It can also get in the way of some dance moves (1 or 2 salsa leads, in particular, have moves where they reconnect by (gently) grabbing the wrist; and swing has some arm slides). Also- noticeable enough to become an annoying conversation piece (as in- "No! it is NOT one of those stupid apple watches or Fitbits").
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I've got the 920 and it will work well for the things you're interested in. There is an optional quick release kit for it that turns it into a very nice, albeit little, bike computer.

Aside from the awful looks, I've been really happy with mine.

How does it feel on your wrist? Does it feel balky or okay to wear like a watch? I have worn some big style watches before just worried if it sits high on my wrist if it will catch more on things and do you still need to wear on your non dominant hand? Sorry for all the questions.

One of my coworkers has a 920XT. I can't tell you how it feels on his wrist, but, sitting across a table from him at a meeting, it doesn't stand out.

I'm going to give you some advice, you can take it or leave it, but I don't know why anyone wouldn't take it:

ALWAYS buy things like this at a store with a generous return policy. That means REI, Backcountry.com, LL Bean, CampSaver, etc.

The watch isn't cheap, and you're asking subjective questions to try and figure out if it'll be acceptable to you. Get it (if you're going to) from somewhere that will give you your money back if it doesn't work for you.

That's especially true for new Garmins, because those tend to be buggy. They've worked all the bugs out of the 920. But still.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    By the way, you're considering three specific Garmin watches. Is there a reason the Fenix 3 or 5 isn't on that list? A Fenix 3 is basically a 920XT with a round screen, the software is almost identical. And prices have fallen quite a bit on the F3 since the F5 became available.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    By the way, you're considering three specific Garmin watches. Is there a reason the Fenix 3 or 5 isn't on that list? A Fenix 3 is basically a 920XT with a round screen, the software is almost identical. And prices have fallen quite a bit on the F3 since the F5 became available.

On that note -

FWIW... the Fenix series is much better suited (IMO) for use outside of training... i.e. everyday wear... than is the 920. Personally I like the square face on the 920 better for training, but that's mostly a personal preference thing, and probably only an issue if you think you'll be running 4 data points on a single screen.

When I bought my 920, the fenix 3 was still relatively new and had far more issues/bugs than did the 920... otherwise I would have gone with a fenix because I could get more use out of it.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Reviewing laps on the watch is much worse for the round screen. Maybe other lists, too. The Fenix can show details for whatever is centered, but anything above or below it suffers. It can show 4 fields on a page, but the font isn't very bold and I think the 920XT would be easier to read especially while running.

Also, the 920 has more buttons, and two of them are just below the face, so easier to get to. That might be important if you use the lap button on the bike a lot (like for hill repeats).

This is a Fenix 3 HR.

30007253441_110cee7145_o_d.jpg
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    I've got the 920 and it will work well for the things you're interested in. There is an optional quick release kit for it that turns it into a very nice, albeit little, bike computer.

Aside from the awful looks, I've been really happy with mine.

How does it feel on your wrist? Does it feel balky or okay to wear like a watch? I have worn some big style watches before just worried if it sits high on my wrist if it will catch more on things and do you still need to wear on your non dominant hand? Sorry for all the questions.

One of my coworkers has a 920XT. I can't tell you how it feels on his wrist, but, sitting across a table from him at a meeting, it doesn't stand out.

I'm going to give you some advice, you can take it or leave it, but I don't know why anyone wouldn't take it:

ALWAYS buy things like this at a store with a generous return policy. That means REI, Backcountry.com, LL Bean, CampSaver, etc.

The watch isn't cheap, and you're asking subjective questions to try and figure out if it'll be acceptable to you. Get it (if you're going to) from somewhere that will give you your money back if it doesn't work for you.

That's especially true for new Garmins, because those tend to be buggy. They've worked all the bugs out of the 920. But still.

To answer your question I was checking these 2 out because on my Go365 Shop these 2 are available that I can order if I do so wish to get them with the points I have earned and just pay for the tax. They do not have the other Garmin brand. I wanted to do my homework first and look into it. I'm not going to go out and purchase something and not know the information on the product or realize that it was a bad buy to begin with. I had a Fitbit before I got a Garmin and I like the Garmin products better and seem to have better features than the Fitbit. Just wanting to know peoples opinions and if there were any issues with the products that I am looking into.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Wow. If I could get one of these devices basically for free and just pay the tax, I'd be thrilled!
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    Wow. If I could get one of these devices basically for free and just pay the tax, I'd be thrilled!

An that's the reason why I ask if it is worth getting to use. Not going to dump my points if its not going to work. I do appreciate all the feedback.