How to battle sugar addiction

Options
Curious if anyone has any suggestions on battling sugar addiction? I have tried several times i can do it for a few days but then I fall off the wagon and have a full out binge.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    i have to be the biggest sugar junkie going and i knew i was going to find breaking the habit really hard , because it is a habit not an addiction. I think it came to the point when i was only going to lose the weight when i wanted weight loss more than the piece of cake in my hand. Cake won a few times basically through sheer laziness..i wanted the weight loss but didnt want to have to do anything about it. This time weight loss won. I've found it easier to quit the sugary junk because i actually WANT to be fit and healthy more than i want that cake.

The thing is, cake is more than sugar. It's got plenty of fat, and some protein. Other sources of carbs. Most things people eat when they say they're "addicted to sugar" are a mix of a variety of things...
  • Pandakins1969
    Pandakins1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The thing is, cake is more than sugar. It's got plenty of fat, and some protein. Other sources of carbs. Most things people eat when they say they're "addicted to sugar" are a mix of a variety of things... [/quote]

oh trust me mine was more than cake i used that as an example. I would stuff myself on cake, sweets, biscuits, chocolate, loads of jam on toast...anything that tasted sweet. I'd go to the supermarket each evening when all of the bakery goods were reduced and buy pack after pack and eat most myself with a bag of sweets to help it along. Lunch was always some kind of pasty or pie from a Bakery but i wasnt happy until i'd had some sticky sweet iced donut or two after...even if i was full and mostly i was but i ate for the taste not for an empty belly.

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    One thing that made a HUGE difference in my sugar cravings is taking probiotics. For years, I thought about and craved sweets all day every day. Now, I rarely think about them. And when I do choose to eat something sweet (like cookies, ice cream, pie, etc.), I'm able to eat one serving and be completely satisfied.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before, don't cut it out just eat less. I always look for things that no added sugar. I don't drink sugary drinks. I like to have sugar free popsicles, 30 calories. I also like to have greek yogurt with yummy flavors which are a nice treat but my less sugar. You could also try sugar free pudding or jello. I have learned it is much easier to stick to a diet if you have alternative treats then just cutting them out. I really enjoy the dannon light and fit peanut butter delight greek yogurt. it has a tiny bit of peanut butter crunchy things and dark chocolate pieces in it, so it feels like having a candy bar but better for you and less calories and a lot less sugar.
  • farmgirl1677
    farmgirl1677 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my downfall also. I just love the taste of anything sweet. My daughter on the other hand hardly eats sweets at all. She doesn't like ther flavor. I think all people have different taste buds, and some of us like the sweet way to much lol. Anyway, I am giving up one thing at a time. I tried going cold turkey and I failed every time. So, first I gave up soda, and decided after one month of no soda I would add another item to get rid of. It's going to be candy bars next, along with the soda, and so on. I have found that since I gave up soda my sugar cravings have not been as bad. I also try my best to stay under 1500 calories a day. I just log everything and try to incorporate healthier choices. Good luck to you!