Don't add eat exercise calories

Options

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This is bad advice. :disappointed:

It's not bad advice. I have a target of 1450. I get an extra 300 a day on average for exercise. If I eat 1750 I don't lose weight. If I eat 1450 I do lose weight. It's quite ok NOT to eat your exercise calories unless you are working out really hard and eating very little and have a massive deficit.
  • TrutraG
    TrutraG Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a question, mostly regarding Fitbit and calories, not sure if there is another post out there already....

I am set up with MFP to eat 1200cals a day, so far, so good...and based on the information, I do eat my calories back...mostly

BUT, for instance today, I have not worked out, but I already have an additional 14 calories from "exercise"...yes, 14 calories are close to nothing, but, they add up....once I walk close to my usual 10k steps for the day without an actual workout, I have a couple of hundred extra cals...plus whatever I burn on the treadmill/elliptical/stairmaster etc...

Are you eating 100% of your calories, regardless of the lack of exercise? Has this affected your gain/loss of muscle/weight?

I was used to just tracking my workout calories burned, but since Fitbit is so automatic, I was wondering how others deal with it...

I have a polar tracker, so I don't know if it is different. I get 2 figures under exercise. One says calorie adjustment and the other specifies a particular exercise eg swimming. Those are my training sessions. The calorie adjustment is from day to day living. I used MFP when I set up my goal. So I do not generally eat back the calorie adjustment since I figured that that is already in my goal, however I do eat back the training calories since those were extra. I would not however stress myself if I didn't eat all of these back or if I go into the calorie adjustment so long as I am under goal. I am losing with this.
    Basically I eat as much as I need to not feel hungry and have energy and no effects eg dizziness or nausea.
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The rub here is getting an accurate number of calories from your workout. I discussed in another thread the radical calorie burn difference I see between Map My Ride and my Polar HRM after a 30 mile bike ride.

Also, as was mentioned above, MFP gives a Polar calorie adjustment based, apparently, on the activity measure of my watch....and I delete it. Why take credit for something I didn't do?

I do allow myself to go over a bit my standard calorie level when my exercise cals show 500 or more and I put in a fairly hard workout, but I never eat them all back and have no adverse effects from doing it that way.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    gofaster01 wrote: »
    I wasn't loosing weight at first then I stopped adding my exercise calories to my goal calories. I still exercise but I don't add the extra calories to my intake and I lost 9 pounds.

It's better not to think about your exercise calories as somehow different from the rest of your calories. You should be aiming for a consistent calorie deficit. Some days that means exercising more. Some days that means eating less.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is one of the most common questions here and I would respond - it depends.

If you are accurate in your caloric intake logs and accurate with you caloric burn estimations, then yes this is ideally the way MFP is designed to work. The problem is inherent with the inaccuracies of calorie estimations. What you want is to lose fat and retain muscle, so it is more important to note the rate of loss. Equally important is incorporating some manner of resistance training to protect the muscle mass you have.

Trained professionals are known to underestimate caloric intake and the industry margin of error on calorie estimation is 20%, so this is why you get the responses to not eat back exercise calories. Note that you also typically get these responses in the "Why am I not losing weight?" posts. Context is key.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This is bad advice. :disappointed:

It's not bad advice. I have a target of 1450. I get an extra 300 a day on average for exercise. If I eat 1750 I don't lose weight. If I eat 1450 I do lose weight. It's quite ok NOT to eat your exercise calories unless you are working out really hard and eating very little and have a massive deficit.

A 300 calorie burn generally means I was working out pretty hard (that's ~ a 3.5-4 mile run for a non-obese female). I'm with Blitzia on this: I think the problem is with people over-estimating their burns (the 'intense yoga session' or 'I waddled around the grocery store for some extra minutes and my Fitbit says I burned a kazillion calories extra today' folks).
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    2 people could weigh the same, same height etc, yet 1 could be all muscle and the other fat

The person that is fat would burn more doing the same exercise as the one that is healthy and all muscle

The best way is trial and error, start by doing what MFP says and then adjust as you go along
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    wytey wrote: »
    2 people could weigh the same, same height etc, yet 1 could be all muscle and the other fat

The person that is fat would burn more doing the same exercise as the one that is healthy and all muscle

Not really true. A person with a higher muscle mass will have burn more calories as it does take more to maintain muscl than it does fat. But the difference is not a lot.
    The best way is trial and error, start by doing what MFP says and then adjust as you go along

Agreed. Keep at it for 4 weeks and gauge the results.
  • chrislee1628
    Options
    I only brought up TBL as they pushed CICO and I watched it for entertainment value, some of the contestants are just nuts, not to mention watching them torture the contestants better than watching say Emmerdale/Coronation Street etc, unless you enjoy watching those type of shows

I have no idea re other methods of losing weight, ie cutting carbs or eating loads of fat etc, only what I have seen/read

I wasn't talking about maintaining the muscle but doing the same exercise, if they both say ran a mile or say weight lifting, the person that is fit and healthy would have burned less calories than the person that is unhealthy and fat as the effort needed would be less, how much would depend on their fitness levels

You know what I mean, for some people maintenance may well be 1500/1700 provided they did no exercise, i.e. For me when I hit my goal weight, it is 2000, if I only did a little exercise, so if I did none and just sat all day watching tv then it would be close to 1700

Not to mention the numbers given on the packaging is not 100%
  • 6691mustang
    6691mustang Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking only at calories ignores the metabolic effects of each calorie; the source of the calorie changes how you digest it and how you retrieve energy from it.
  • chrislee1628
    Options
    I am talking about doing the same exercise not maintaining

And regarding the nobody is all muscle/fat, thank you for stating the obvious, that is an extreme example to make it clearer
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6x a week, 60 minutes, and I have found the days that I eat the majority of my exercise calories, the more weight I seem to drop overnight (then it balances back up for the next few days, then trends slowly back down to the original drop). I'm at a 1.5 lb a week loss, I just bought a scale earlier this week so I left more calories for cushioning for the past month (will eat more now, yay!), but at a 750 calorie deficiet, the most I should leave in my exercise calories is 250 if I can't eat most of them. I have a fitbit blaze, and it's accurate for me.