Don't add eat exercise calories

I wasn't loosing weight at first then I stopped adding my exercise calories to my goal calories. I still exercise but I don't add the extra calories to my intake and I lost 9 pounds.

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    OP - How long did it take to lose the 9 pounds?
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    I have a question, mostly regarding Fitbit and calories, not sure if there is another post out there already....

I am set up with MFP to eat 1200cals a day, so far, so good...and based on the information, I do eat my calories back...mostly

BUT, for instance today, I have not worked out, but I already have an additional 14 calories from "exercise"...yes, 14 calories are close to nothing, but, they add up....once I walk close to my usual 10k steps for the day without an actual workout, I have a couple of hundred extra cals...plus whatever I burn on the treadmill/elliptical/stairmaster etc...

Are you eating 100% of your calories, regardless of the lack of exercise? Has this affected your gain/loss of muscle/weight?

I was used to just tracking my workout calories burned, but since Fitbit is so automatic, I was wondering how others deal with it...
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    I personally agree with this. When I add my exercise calories I end up obsessing over food and eating more than I would if I weren't counting calories at all.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Blitzia wrote: »
    This is bad advice. :disappointed:

I think it depends on the person. If someone is running several miles, they need to eat their exercise calories. Conversely, some people come to these threads asking why they aren't losing weight, and it comes out that they're eating 400 calories over their goal because of an "intense" 30 minute yoga routine. If your exercise calories are an overestimate, don't eat them. If you're burning a significant number of calories with your exercise, you need to eat them. That's the universal rule.

no not really...

If you are following MFP as it is designed you should eat back your exercise calories.

Figuring out if they are over esitmating is the key.

For me when I started MFP exercise calories were bang on for what I was doing...once I knew I was logging my food correctly I ate back all my exercise calories for my 28min 30 day shred...and my 20min walk...I kept losing at the same rate.

If they log 30 min of yoga they should eat them all back until they are sure it's an over estimate then go to half...or start at half to be safe and eat more or less based on results...

But in my experience it's not about exercise calories as much as it's about food and inaccuracies in that log.

It really does depend on the person, and how they are using this site. I use it only to track my calories consumed. If I have a super high activity day, I'll get hungry and obviously will need to eat more. I never look at the exercise calories, but I do use the FitBit site to track my activity for my own record. I've lost 10 pounds since Feb 10 so what I am doing, is working for me.