Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Don't add eat exercise calories

1234568»

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    You're seriously likening me to Tess Holliday?? I think we can all agree, based on my profile pic (now woefully out of date, but I like that photo, so it stays for now), that I am not overweight, let alone obese. Also don't subscribe to the idea that you can be healthy at any weight. I do think one can be happy at any weight, but that's an entirely different conversation. Also wouldn't class myself as a volume eater. I did however round out my day with some 72% dark chocolate yesterday, specifically because I didn't want more volume, and I'd already met all my nutritional requirements. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating cookies, chocolate, ice cream, etc if you have already met your nutritional requirements for the day. Thinking there is is pretty disordered thinking imho.

Does it bother you to see calories left on the green side at the end of a day or a week? Do you feel that you've screwed up if that happens?
  • heiliskrimsli
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Does it bother you to see calories left on the green side at the end of a day or a week? Do you feel that you've screwed up if that happens?

Does it bother you to see red at the end of the day or the end of the week? Do you feel that you've screwed up if that happens even though for every 100 Cal in the green you need 100 Cal in the red to actually hit your target?

Doesn't bother me at all.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    You're seriously likening me to Tess Holliday?? I think we can all agree, based on my profile pic (now woefully out of date, but I like that photo, so it stays for now), that I am not overweight, let alone obese. Also don't subscribe to the idea that you can be healthy at any weight. I do think one can be happy at any weight, but that's an entirely different conversation. Also wouldn't class myself as a volume eater. I did however round out my day with some 72% dark chocolate yesterday, specifically because I didn't want more volume, and I'd already met all my nutritional requirements. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating cookies, chocolate, ice cream, etc if you have already met your nutritional requirements for the day. Thinking there is is pretty disordered thinking imho.

Probably not but if done consistently it will lead to more weight loss which isn't the desired goal. I can't see how in any way shape or form that's odd.
  • heiliskrimsli

Probably not but if done consistently it will lead to more weight loss which isn't the desired goal. I can't see how in any way shape or form that's odd.

So you don't actually have to eat every single available calorie that the app tells you to?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Not remotely. I do, however, try to ensure that that number is not too large at the end of the week. If I have a particularly low day, I usually make it up somewhere else.

And what @PAV8888 said...
  • heiliskrimsli

Not remotely. I do, however, try to ensure that that number is not too large at the end of the week. If I have a particularly low day, I usually make it up somewhere else.

And what @PAV8888 said...

And is the quantity that you consider to be "too large" a decision that you made for yourself based on your experience or is it something that you were given as an arbitrary limit by an app or another person?

It seems that I am not the only one in this thread who doesn't follow the app as an ironclad edict.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited August 2017
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have a question, mostly regarding Fitbit and calories, not sure if there is another post out there already....

I am set up with MFP to eat 1200cals a day, so far, so good...and based on the information, I do eat my calories back...mostly

BUT, for instance today, I have not worked out, but I already have an additional 14 calories from "exercise"...yes, 14 calories are close to nothing, but, they add up....once I walk close to my usual 10k steps for the day without an actual workout, I have a couple of hundred extra cals...plus whatever I burn on the treadmill/elliptical/stairmaster etc...

Are you eating 100% of your calories, regardless of the lack of exercise? Has this affected your gain/loss of muscle/weight?

I was used to just tracking my workout calories burned, but since Fitbit is so automatic, I was wondering how others deal with it...

FitBit is an activity tracker. Regardless of whether you are doing an actual workout, or just have a busy life that generates a high activity level - it burns calories. MFP estimates a calorie burn based on your stats and activity level, and if you burn more than that, you get a positive adjustment.

I have had a FitBit synced with MFP through the last 15 lbs of my 35 lb weight loss and then into maintenance, for about the last 3 years. I have negative calorie adjustments enabled and my activity level set at active as I average 15k steps/day. I ate back my exercise cals during weight loss and now in maintenance and always saw predictable results from doing so. I trust the two systems and the process... even though my stats (5'2 and 118 with a desk job) would never suggest that I would be able to eat 1600-1900 cals to lose and maintain eating 2200 or more calories. And yet I'm happily about to go grab a cookie to round out my cals for the day...

I read this whole thread looking for exactly this information. I, too, have my Fitbit Alta synced to MFP. Although I have been accumulating about 12,000 intentional steps, they are not strenuous. They are from marching in place or around my house or walking around a store. Sometimes I do jog in place. I get a approximately a 400 calorie adjustment each time, which I mostly eat back. I have been torn on whether or not to eat back those non-strenuous exercise calories.