Cheat days

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to this, I have been on my diet for just under a month and I have lost 29 lbs. I started at 15 stone 4 and now at 13 stone 3. I still have another 3 stone to lose and I'm currently eating 1,000 calories a day.. do people have cheat days and still lose weight? I think it's the only thing that is going to keep me motivated if I have a little treat where I can eat chocolate or some pizza lol!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little? You're doing a great job of losing muscle at the moment so when you get to goal weight you'll still be squishy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My family has pizza night most Friday nights...

Also, super low calories isn't really very good for you...
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's so low as I have a rubbish metabolism:/ I don't do 1,000 calories each day, some days I will have 1,400 calories
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    It's so low as I have a rubbish metabolism:/ I don't do 1,000 calories each day, some days I will have 1,400 calories

Have you had your metabolism tested?
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    I know it's rubbish as I've always gained weight from eating the correct amount of calories, if I eat more than 1,000 I seem to gain weight rather than lose.. everyone's metabolism is different and I just seem to have a very slow one
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I know it's rubbish as I've always gained weight from eating the correct amount of calories, if I eat more than 1,000 I seem to gain weight rather than lose.. everyone's metabolism is different and I just seem to have a very slow one

You lost 29lbs which is a really unhealthy amount to lose in one month. There is no need to eat so little to lose weight. Sounds like you're confusing normal fluctuations and water weight with 'gaining weight'.
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    Before I started my diet I was sometimes eating around 10,000 calories a day, that's why I thought I was losing weight so fast?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Before I started my diet I was sometimes eating around 10,000 calories a day, that's why I thought I was losing weight so fast?

Weighed and logged 10,000 calories?
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    I eat pizza and chocolate quite regularly. The key is moderation, not restriction.

On another note: 1000 calories is probably too little for your body's needs. If you increase your calorie goal to something that will allow you to lose at a more reasonable rate, you're less likely to lose motivation, as you mentioned, because you'll have more energy and more room to eat the foods you enjoy.

It's not a race, and as @TavistockToad mentioned, you don't want to lose muscle during this process.

ETA: You might gain water weight after increasing your calorie goal - that does not mean that you gained fat.

Thank you, I'll try that
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options

Weighed and logged 10,000 calories?

Yes I used to eat ridiculous amounts of food after I stopped smoking
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options

No. You're losing weight so quickly because you aren't eating nearly enough. Just eat a normal amount (use the website to figure out a reasonable goal) and you can have chocolate and pizza sometimes without having to worry about a cheat day.

Okay I will do, thank you for your help
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your appetite and how you plan cheat days. I have an incredible appetite, so I can destroy weeks of deficit in a single cheat day. When I first started, I would do cheat days when I reached certain milestones rather than time. For example, lose 10 lbs. and do a cheat day. Then get to the next 10 lb. loss (after losing the 5-8 lbs. gained during that cheat day again) before allowing another cheat day. That way, it doesn't totally ruin the deficit. Since I lost slowly anyway, that was only a planned cheat day around 4 times per year at first. Now it is down to twice per year and will soon be once per year. If you find that your planned cheat days are small enough to only wipe out a few days or a week of deficit, then you can stand to have them more often. Those things are all going to be specific to you as an individual.