Alternate Day Fasting to Intermittent Fasting?

Options
Hi all,

So for the past 5 weeks have have done alternate day fasting (ADF) where I eat about 1200-1400 calories on non-fast days and 500-700 calories on fast days (I eat 700 for the days where my workouts were very intense). This has resulted in great results! I broke through a plateau I was having, lost 11 pounds in the past 5 weeks and lost 4 inches overall. However, lately I've noticed my body has not been able to keep up with ADF for almost a week and I have been eating 1000 cals on my fast days in order to not feel faint/keep me going throughout the day. I've also noticed I've been craving sugar QUITE a bit lately.

This may be a sign from my body that I need to up my calories and start eating a normal amount of calories everyday again. However, I have really enjoyed the benefits of fasting and am thinking about trying intermittent fasting: eating my calories within an 8 hour time period and fasting for 16 hours. What are your thoughts, comments, advice?

For background, I used to weight 220 pounds and am currently 136.2, trying to get down to 120 by my 4 year anniversary of adopting a healthy lifestyle (end of June). Body fat % is approx. 21%-23% and I am 5'6. I workout 5-6x per week doing HIIT cardio, circuit training and strength training.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well first it sounds like you weren't eating enough on your up days. You could move to having a low calorie day once or twice a week. 5:2 or 6:1.
    That said I am a fan and follow 16:8, but that's only a schedule, not necessarily a weight loss tool.

At most you were averaging 1057 calories per day, per week. But very likely you were closer to 800. Way too low.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your calories are waaayyy too low. The only way ADF/IF is different than any other way of eating is the time frame.

So for example, my daily calorie goal is 1300. This is a 400 calorie deficit from my TDEE which is 1700. It's sustainable.

I could:
    - eat 430 calories 3x a day
    - eat a 500 calorie lunch and 800 calorie dinner (18:6 IF)
    - eat a 1300 calorie dinner (one-meal-a-day IF)
    - alternate between 500 calorie fast days and 2100 calorie non-fast days

The point is... I'm always eating an average of 1300 calories a day. IF works great because being in a fasted state can actually control hunger quite well. The weight loss will be the same with any of the above options I listed.

So in your case, you're eating an average of 1050 calories or less a day! That's too low and not sustainable. 1200 is the lowest you should go, really. No wonder you're feeling weak.

I'd bump your daily average up to 1200-1400. Eat them in any way you prefer, but try to hit those numbers at least.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ashdeo wrote: »
    Hi all,

So for the past 5 weeks have have done alternate day fasting (ADF) where I eat about 1200-1400 calories on non-fast days and 500-700 calories on fast days (I eat 700 for the days where my workouts were very intense). This has resulted in great results! I broke through a plateau I was having, lost 11 pounds in the past 5 weeks and lost 4 inches overall. However, lately I've noticed my body has not been able to keep up with ADF for almost a week and I have been eating 1000 cals on my fast days in order to not feel faint/keep me going throughout the day. I've also noticed I've been craving sugar QUITE a bit lately.

This may be a sign from my body that I need to up my calories and start eating a normal amount of calories everyday again. However, I have really enjoyed the benefits of fasting and am thinking about trying intermittent fasting: eating my calories within an 8 hour time period and fasting for 16 hours. What are your thoughts, comments, advice?

For background, I used to weight 220 pounds and am currently 136.2, trying to get down to 120 by my 4 year anniversary of adopting a healthy lifestyle (end of June). Body fat % is approx. 21%-23% and I am 5'6. I workout 5-6x per week doing HIIT cardio, circuit training and strength training.

This isn't ADF - you should have eaten "normally" on your off days. Your ADF version was a diet + 2 very low calorie days.

Eating at large deficit makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. I'm not sure where you are getting body fat %'s.....scales are highly inaccurate...calipers can be better, but only with experienced users.

With exercise, your maintenance (for your off days) is at least 1800 calories (don't know your age).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • ashdeo
    ashdeo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    huh interesting! looks like i was really pushing it to the limit haha
  • ashdeo
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hi all,

This isn't ADF - you should have eaten "normally" on your off days. Your ADF version was a diet + 2 very low calorie days.

Eating at large deficit makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. I'm not sure where you are getting body fat %'s.....scales are highly inaccurate...calipers can be better, but only with experienced users.

With exercise, your maintenance (for your off days) is at least 1800 calories (don't know your age).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

I calculated my body fat % using various measurements throughout my body (waist, hip, forearm, bicep, thigh, circumference at navel and neck) inputted these measurements into various online calculators then averaged the results from those calculators to reduce outliers/variability. This is not my MAIN source of tracking weight loss, just a general idea of where I am to make sure I am not "skinny fat" as I get closer to my goal weight.

Thank you for the links! will take a look.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and 147lbs. I am doing IF 16:8 and have lost around 4 lbs in the 3 weeks I have been doing it. I am not 100% strict to the time restrictions either, and even less on weekends. It totally curbed hunger pangs for me, which is why this is something I plan to stick with.

Previously I had been knocking myself down to 1000cal a day, and just not losing any weight. Once I started eating more, I lost. I had been stuck at 151lbs and now I am to 147lbs.

Good luck :)

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I did ADF for my weight loss phase and yeah, your 'up' day calories should be maintenance level (for me that was 1,800-2,000 calories). Also, it's not really recommended to do intense workouts on your low calorie days (walking is ok). That could be causing issues for you as well?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

ADF is supposed to be eating 500ish calories one day, maintenance the other, not a deficit. If you were doing it the way you described you were massively under eating. Do not eat at a deficit on your non-fast days. Doing so will simply lead to burnout, nutritional deficiencies, and ultimately no longer complying with your weekly calorie deficit and overeating.
  • ashdeo
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    I am 5'6 and 147lbs. I am doing IF 16:8 and have lost around 4 lbs in the 3 weeks I have been doing it. I am not 100% strict to the time restrictions either, and even less on weekends. It totally curbed hunger pangs for me, which is why this is something I plan to stick with.

Previously I had been knocking myself down to 1000cal a day, and just not losing any weight. Once I started eating more, I lost. I had been stuck at 151lbs and now I am to 147lbs.

Good luck :)

Ah seems like we are almost in the same exact situation! Thanks so much for the advice!!