Personal Trainers - Worth the $$$?

Options
13»

Replies

• helenrenee007
    helenrenee007 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I paid $4500.00 a year for two years, worth every penny! Changed my life in so many ways, learned so much and got the body I had always dreamed.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I have worked out all my life and have been lifted for over ten years. Never have I pushed myself as hard as my trainer pushes me. Never. And I consider myself to take working out seriously.
    But it also it depends on the trainer. Mine is awesome and takes it very seriously. I see other trainers than are just looking around while training someone.
    So for me it's not about him telling me what to do, is about pushing me to get those last few reps when I want to die and would have stopped if I was by myself. It is also helping me with keeping my head in the game all week long even if I train with him twice a week.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    dubble818 wrote: »
    I recently finished 7 sessions with a personal trainer. I've learned a lot about proper form and gotten some pretty good ideas for lifting routines, etc. I have to admit that the workouts have been fantastic and that missing sessions is way less likely when you're paying in advance to see them.

I'd be looking at about 5 grand to continue working with him for a year. Which means no vacation, but totally doable. Would you do it?

As far as money goes. I would not sacrifice my vacation for a trainer. I would only do it if I had the extra money to blow on it. I would give up going out to eat, getting my hair or nails done often, shopping etc, but not important things. And vacation to me is important.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    $5K is a lot... It's also very inexpensive.

For me... When I need help/assistance/advice, I prefer to drop 200-300 for a 1-3 hour consult with a trainer to get the focused specialized help/guidance/tweaking with the understanding that I'm paying a bit extra to not be re-contacted. But I've been through a LOT of different training over the last 20 years, and I know my body. So I can get maximum benefit from a consult.

Additionally, with an up front commitment of $5K, if you find you're incompatible, or that they aren't actually helping you define and achieve your goals, what is your recourse?