Have you been CATFISHED?

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I met a guy when I was in high school / freshman year of college on IRC. I went and visited him when I was in college for a weekend in Boston.

They were exactly who they said they were. It was a nice visit, just friends - no hanky panky. Would not do it again, because it was a dicey thing to do 13 years ago, and even more dicey now.
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    I don't really know if this counts as catfishing, but was talking to a girl on a dating website who used 5 year old pictures of herself when she was skinnier (she was 100 pounds heavier) and adopted a different personality so I'd like her. I met her three times before bailing on her for her best friend (who was letting me in on her real personality) at the time who actually acted like she was pretending to be. It all worked out in the end, because I later found out she was using me to make him jealous enough to want to date her again.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was happy to see he was who he said he was for a change. And, that cannot be the worst MTV show produced.... Also, thankfully its never happened to me.

Geordie shore the best!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I met my current bf 4 years ago online. He was just as he described, thankfully. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    what do you mean? People imposter others on the internet?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I was happy to see he was who he said he was for a change. And, that cannot be the worst MTV show produced.... Also, thankfully its never happened to me.

Geordie shore the best!

what is Geordie shore? Jersey Shore?
  • xmrsdurhamx
    xmrsdurhamx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I actually met my husband online :) Although, I knew he was real before he came to visit me since we both had cams. 4 years strong, married, 1 son, purchased our first house this year.... living the American dream <3 Better man than any I have met back home.
  • elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options
    I've been catfished twice. The first time, I talked to this guy and thought he was legit, really nice, seemed to be local as he agreed to meet at a very well known place in my city, when I got there I waited for an hour, he was a no show. We tried again a second time after he had apologized and said something came up but once again he was a no show and to this day I'm uncertain if he was actually some weirdo from the other side of the world who just smiled and nodded when I suggested a meeting place or he did show up, didn't like what he saw and bailed before I could spot him.

Second experience, I was talking to a guy who had gone to the same high school as a few of my good friends so I knew he was legit, we sent pics back and forth and agreed to meet up and go to a movie. He arrived on time, however, once I spotted him and smiled, he walked another few steps toward me then turned and walked away, never spoke to me again.

Apparently I'm a troll to the online dating world haha
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Haaa! When I was a fair bit younger I spoke to a guy online who went to Uni in London with one of my mates, I never saw a picture of him, in fact I don't even think I asked my friend what he looked like! We spoke every night online, then starting phoning each other and eventually after a couple of months he asked me out (!)

I really liked him so I said yes, so he came up to the midlands to visit me and we ended up dating for just over a year. Suppose it's not THAT dodgy - I knew he couldn't be a total weirdo otherwise my friend would have told me, but it's the first time I've ever started dating someone without actually knowing what they looked like at all!!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I admit to watching that show too....the first episode, the "guy" was actually a girl! Too weird.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    I'm Manti Teo's girlfriend.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I joined an online matchmaker once and wrote to a bunch of girls and they blew me off, but I knew they went to my profile. So I changed my pic to some random hot guy's pic and re-wrote them, SAME USERNAME AND PROFILE, and they all responded. Hahaha.

Gordon-Ramsay.gif
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    ChatOnline_zps3574c8d5.jpg
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i am a scientist and who is also an MD and I work with Doctors without Borders and won two Heisman Trophies in college.
  • stellarcanicula
    stellarcanicula Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't necessarily a Catfish. I skyped with them before. HOWEVER, Two guys I met....that's right TWO of them were married/had long term girlfriends.

One guys wife answered his phone when I called him.

And the other one(this is the best part) proceeds to call me drunk one night and tell me how he was contemplating leaving his girlfriend of TEN YEARS for a coworker.....HE HAD BEEN TALKING TO ME OFF AND ON FOR TEN YEARS! I had no idea he had a girlfriend.

So needless to say, I do not condone nor advocate online dating in any way, shape or form.

They're all liars.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Catfished in the best way! He was nothing like he looked in his picture...was WAAAAY hotter and even thinner. Still with him :)
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I meet my hubby online 8 years ago, then got married 9 months later. He was exactly who he said he was and has continuing being that same person.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online, and definitely fell for him right away. But I did see him on webcam, and we met face to face about 6 months later.

Meeting people online carries a lot of the same risks as meeting someone "the old fashioned way". As long as you use common sense, it's fine. :)
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I must admit. I thought the younger guy was going to be the older black guy who had the same number. It was 8 years before they met! I was saying to myself this is going to end bad, but it didn't. Great ending to a love story. But to answer your question, No I have never been catfished.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    I must admit. I thought the younger guy was going to be the older black guy who had the same number. It was 8 years before they met! I was saying to myself this is going to end bad, but it didn't. Great ending to a love story. But to answer your question, No I have never been catfished.

Haha, me too. I wanted it to be Levourne!