Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

MFP is turning into My Keto Pal

Options
13»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Meh to each their own. It only becomes a problem when it's presented as the only way with a bunch of woo attached to it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    What i don't understand is why people who have never done keto or who are not interested in it, or have a flat hatred for it go into these threads with an obvious annoyance from word one...

I don't go into vegan, vegetarian, paleo, dukan etc etc etc threads, because i have no interest or experience in these eating styles. I may ask a question sometimes, but getting all hot under the collar or dishing out advice or pushing my opinion on other people which will inevitably derail the whole thing is just a waste of time imo.

In all fairness, the exact same could be said of keto people who pop into completely unrelated threads and start spouting "GO KETO! GO KETO!!! IT'S TEH WONDERFULZ!!1!1!!" regardless of whether that was part of the original topic or not. Often accompanied by links to that junk science dietdoctor website.

I stay out of vegan threads also, as I have nothing useful to offer. I'm not vegan, don't want to be vegan and have no interest in the topic - but to each their own. If you enjoy vegan and stand behind the ethical principles, that's great for you ("you" in the general/collective sense - not addressing you personally, Christine). Not my bag, but as long as you're not taking my milk away and forcing tofu down my throat, we're good. :)

I also usually stay out of keto threads if they're the specific focus (i.e., obvious by the thread title). But I will certainly offer my opinion or links to relevant science when ketophiles come into general (non-keto) threads and start muddying the waters with a bunch of unfounded woo.

FWIW, I've done keto before, twenty-some years ago. Had successful weight loss with it and was generally satiated with the foods. I quit it because I didn't see it as sustainable in the long term - there are a few carby foods I never want to give up for life (most notably tortillas with Mexican food and rice with sushi). I also had stomach issues with it, it was where I learned the phrase "never trust a fart" - and taking a temporary break from eating LCHF created some very disconcerting and potentially disastrous issues for me. Not much fun to spend a holiday making sure you're never more than waddling distance to the nearest bathroom!

Nonetheless, I have no hatred for keto. As I said before, I believe it can be a viable diet. The diet itself doesn't irk me in the least, nor does the fact that some people have success with it. That's awesome. What does irk me is the false and/or cherry-picked science and made-up statistics that get thrown around to preach that everybody should be doing keto because we're all IR or borderline diabetic and everybody needs teh miraclez that blessed keto offers. That's when discussions derail and turn into train wrecks.

You always say this is happening. I think I've seen it happen less than 5 times in the almost three years I've been here. Could you list some links to threads where this is happening or has happened?

That little. I have seen it more times than I wish to count. Usually it is done by newbies who are all excited about Keto, just like newbies who are all excited about IF doe the same thing. I'm sure I did it when I started out as well. Both are valid ways of eating, along with many others, but they are not the only way to lose. When it comes to eating plans and patterns, one size doesn't fit all.

I've seen lots newbies starting threads because they're excited about keto, but they're not constantly saying it's magical or that everyone needs to do it or that everyone is a borderline diabetic.

I guess we have run into different threads them. I can't say when I am actively checking out various posts, usually the "I can't lose weight" ones, that someone doesn't say you have to go keto you can eat all you want. I do have to say that in the last couple of days I have not stumbled on one, but I have not been as active as usual. To be fair, I see a good number of you have to eat "clean" or others as well.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What i don't understand is why people who have never done keto or who are not interested in it, or have a flat hatred for it go into these threads with an obvious annoyance from word one...

I don't go into vegan, vegetarian, paleo, dukan etc etc etc threads, because i have no interest or experience in these eating styles. I may ask a question sometimes, but getting all hot under the collar or dishing out advice or pushing my opinion on other people which will inevitably derail the whole thing is just a waste of time imo.

In all fairness, the exact same could be said of keto people who pop into completely unrelated threads and start spouting "GO KETO! GO KETO!!! IT'S TEH WONDERFULZ!!1!1!!" regardless of whether that was part of the original topic or not. Often accompanied by links to that junk science dietdoctor website.

I stay out of vegan threads also, as I have nothing useful to offer. I'm not vegan, don't want to be vegan and have no interest in the topic - but to each their own. If you enjoy vegan and stand behind the ethical principles, that's great for you ("you" in the general/collective sense - not addressing you personally, Christine). Not my bag, but as long as you're not taking my milk away and forcing tofu down my throat, we're good. :)

I also usually stay out of keto threads if they're the specific focus (i.e., obvious by the thread title). But I will certainly offer my opinion or links to relevant science when ketophiles come into general (non-keto) threads and start muddying the waters with a bunch of unfounded woo.

FWIW, I've done keto before, twenty-some years ago. Had successful weight loss with it and was generally satiated with the foods. I quit it because I didn't see it as sustainable in the long term - there are a few carby foods I never want to give up for life (most notably tortillas with Mexican food and rice with sushi). I also had stomach issues with it, it was where I learned the phrase "never trust a fart" - and taking a temporary break from eating LCHF created some very disconcerting and potentially disastrous issues for me. Not much fun to spend a holiday making sure you're never more than waddling distance to the nearest bathroom!

Nonetheless, I have no hatred for keto. As I said before, I believe it can be a viable diet. The diet itself doesn't irk me in the least, nor does the fact that some people have success with it. That's awesome. What does irk me is the false and/or cherry-picked science and made-up statistics that get thrown around to preach that everybody should be doing keto because we're all IR or borderline diabetic and everybody needs teh miraclez that blessed keto offers. That's when discussions derail and turn into train wrecks.

You always say this is happening. I think I've seen it happen less than 5 times in the almost three years I've been here. Could you list some links to threads where this is happening or has happened?

That little. I have seen it more times than I wish to count. Usually it is done by newbies who are all excited about Keto, just like newbies who are all excited about IF doe the same thing. I'm sure I did it when I started out as well. Both are valid ways of eating, along with many others, but they are not the only way to lose. When it comes to eating plans and patterns, one size doesn't fit all.

I've seen lots newbies starting threads because they're excited about keto, but they're not constantly saying it's magical or that everyone needs to do it or that everyone is a borderline diabetic.

I guess we have run into different threads them. I can't say when I am actively checking out various posts, usually the "I can't lose weight" ones, that someone doesn't say you have to go keto you can eat all you want. I do have to say that in the last couple of days I have not stumbled on one, but I have not been as active as usual. To be fair, I see a good number of you have to eat "clean" or others as well.

Possibly. I don't go into most of the keto threads. I prefer the My Partner Is Cheating On Me And Eats Doritos In Front Of Me threads.

The threads that bug me the most are the You Must Find A Way To Eat 400 Calories Worth Of Tacos Versus Your Usual 2,000 Calories Worth Of Tacos Or You'll Only Binge Hopelessly On Tacos A Year From Now Due To Denying Yourself Tacos.

I've never seen a thread like that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Possibly. I don't go into most of the keto threads. I prefer the My Partner Is Cheating On Me And Eats Doritos In Front Of Me threads.

The threads that bug me the most are the You Must Find A Way To Eat 400 Calories Worth Of Tacos Versus Your Usual 2,000 Calories Worth Of Tacos Or You'll Only Binge Hopelessly On Tacos A Year From Now Due To Denying Yourself Tacos.

I don't wander into chit chat often, but when I do, it's for a good taco thread
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

I've never seen a thread like that.

For Heaven's sake. I must have been hallucinating it then.

Don't worry...you're not hallucinating it. I have seen plenty of the "if you don't eat some tacos now, you will eat a billion tacos later and die obese and alone" threads.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts
    Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    4legs
This discussion has been closed.