Weightlifting to loose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbaylis
    kbaylis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have just started lifting as opposed to the usual cardio style classes (body attack, spin etc). I dont seem to loose any weight just gain but I dont ever eat. My Fitness Pal gives me 1500 calories to eat. You talk about calories deficit to lose weight but how do I know that the 1500 calories is a deficit? May be a silly question but thought I would ask and see if anyone can help?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    kbaylis wrote: »
    Hi all, I have just started lifting as opposed to the usual cardio style classes (body attack, spin etc). I dont seem to loose any weight just gain but I dont ever eat. My Fitness Pal gives me 1500 calories to eat. You talk about calories deficit to lose weight but how do I know that the 1500 calories is a deficit? May be a silly question but thought I would ask and see if anyone can help?

Best to start your own topic- and give more details like activity level for life and exercise, and stats. Not enough info to help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    erinlane93 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So weird people are questioning what I burn in a workout? I train really hard, I'm very driven and passionate. I'm not one to sit there and look at my watch for four minutes, got no time for that haha. But thank you anyway, I'll stick to what I have been doing as it clearly works :)
    It's not questioning it, it's just based on how the body actually works. If you're losing weight that's good, but stalls usually happen because people miscontrue actually calorie burns or intake.
    It has nothing to do if you train hard or not. The muscles you are using and the type of training will dictate how you burn calories (aerobic versus anaerobic). It's not a lie. Go check out a book on physiology.
    If you're basing it on heart rate, go watch a movie that raises your heart rate (like a horror movie) and your Charge will denote it as a higher calorie burn, but that wouldn't be the case physically.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I haven't mentioned anything about heart rate. Previous person told me basically lifting doesn't burn calories. I made a comment about on certain days I can burn up to 1000 calories, accurate or not I made a statement. Putting my fork to my mouth burns calories, typing this message... I'm burning calories. Thank you for your advice.

I said it didn't burn as many calories as you stated, and @ninerbuff explained why.

You burn calories the whole time you're alive, but you're not burning anywhere near as many as you think from a hours lifting.
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So I burn 600 calories from a boxersize class? Is that more accurate for you because it's cardio?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So I burn 600 calories from a boxersize class? Is that more accurate for you because it's cardio?

There's really nothing to take offense at here as you seem to be doing.

Several people caught a comment from a new poster that we have seen bite many people in the deficit later when there is less room for error - and they wanted to share some facts with you.

That's all.
    This was no commentary on your workouts or how hard they are to you or what they are. Lifting, or boxersize class, or stairmaster, or whatever.

Keep it in the back of your mind and carry on.
  • kbaylis
    kbaylis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ok thanks
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    So just to squeeze my question in here - many people advocate lifting here and I get that it's calorie deficit that loses weight and lifting is for body comp. And also muscle will burn more calories overall right? (Like two people who weight the same but one has a greater amount of muscle will have a higher BMR? Did I get that right?) So if I'm eating at a deficit, and I can only fit one thing in, am I better to lift instead of cardio? (Assuming my goals are weight loss and body comp as opposed to cardio vascular health). Also, how do I know if I'm working "hard enough" while lifting?

Your muscles have to have rest days to rebuild. I lift 3 days a week and cardio 2. That gives my muscles a chance to re-coup but I still get some good cardio in. Some days I lift heavy and then treadmill at a leisurely pace afterwards just for the walk. I find my muscles seem to re-coup faster when I do that also.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So weird people are questioning what I burn in a workout? I train really hard, I'm very driven and passionate. I'm not one to sit there and look at my watch for four minutes, got no time for that haha. But thank you anyway, I'll stick to what I have been doing as it clearly works :)
    It's not questioning it, it's just based on how the body actually works. If you're losing weight that's good, but stalls usually happen because people miscontrue actually calorie burns or intake.
    It has nothing to do if you train hard or not. The muscles you are using and the type of training will dictate how you burn calories (aerobic versus anaerobic). It's not a lie. Go check out a book on physiology.
    If you're basing it on heart rate, go watch a movie that raises your heart rate (like a horror movie) and your Charge will denote it as a higher calorie burn, but that wouldn't be the case physically.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I haven't mentioned anything about heart rate. Previous person told me basically lifting doesn't burn calories. I made a comment about on certain days I can burn up to 1000 calories, accurate or not I made a statement. Putting my fork to my mouth burns calories, typing this message... I'm burning calories. Thank you for your advice.

I assume you are referring to me. I never said lifting doesn't burn calories and neither has anyone else. What I said is that is not why I lift. There are other ways to burn calories and I could easily change the type of lifting I do to burn more calories but that would be counterproductive to my goals.