Embarrassed by trying to lose weight

2»

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    That sucks. Hopefully your husband learned that he shouldn't bring that up again without your consent. If not - make sure to talk to him about it.

Weight loss is such a hot button topic that I only discuss it with my partner. I don't even talk to my friends about it, because they all have their own opinions about it. I hate getting into discussions like that. I have one friend who still makes a point to make fun of our low-carb diets whenever he sees us - it's really annoying.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Focus on doing what is best for you & your family. The extended family is reacting from ignorance, jealousy, and denial.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    They just don't want to succeed because they don't want to face the fact that they are obese and that they are reason. If they can't support the idea that you are trying to improve your health, *kitten* 'em. That extremely *kitten* on their part. Just do you and let them see your great results while they make excuses and neglect their health.

As for your husband, he probably mentioned it because he was proud of you. In the future, if don't want him to say anything, just let him know. We are simple creatures, really. We aren't mind readers.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 235 Member
    My response would be "Well you know I feel like I have to be very careful about my and my family's diet since obesity runs in our family, by the way have you seen Uncle George and his new wife lately? I heard they went to Hawaii?"
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    My response would be "Well you know I feel like I have to be very careful about my and my family's diet since obesity runs in our family, by the way have you seen Uncle George and his new wife lately? I heard they went to Hawaii?"

^^^ This. People love to talk about themselves. Just let it roll off you and turn the conversation.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    To make a long story short- my husband mentioned in a large family gathering about my working out and tracking calories. First all the ladies (who admittedly are at least a generation older than me and mostly obese) started w the whole thing about how I don't need to lose (I do), that calorie counting will dry my breastmilk and cause my 3 month old to starve (it won't) and making comments about what I ate that day (I already felt bad as I was above my calories for day but chocked it up to the stress of the funeral). Anyway, they all started laughing at me basically saying i wasn't going to lose weight that way, and basically calling me vain for trying.

Prior to pregnancy I had lost 35lbs, so it's not that I don't know I can do it but I ended up feeling so embarrassed! Do you still feel that way? Does that go away? How to you politely respond or cope w ppl like that?

Respond with logic. Is it crazy to balance your checkbook? Is it vain to want to change something for the better?

Remove these people if possible, minimize if family. Understand that their mental process cannot accept you changing for the better, because if you could, they could. They are not ready to accept this and embracing their status as victims.

The best way to handle this is by proving them wrong.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    edited April 2017
    I definitely put it in the none of anyones business category. I find when other people know you are trying to actively lose weight, they suddenly become the food police, "can you eat that?" "Don't eat too fast?" "is bread allowed?" I never like to announce it to anyone that way I can do what I want. I am already tracking my food and fitness, I don't need anyone else in my family/friends tracking it on their own too.

I would just talk to your husband about sharing things like that without talking to you first. Just explain it made you uncomfortable. Nobody should be laughing at you for trying to get healthier.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    I would (because when people aren't nice to me, I am a TURBO *kitten* back) join in the laughter and say, "Hahaha yeah I should give up and in a few years I'll have some nice curves like you guys!"

Sounds like they're insecure, not to mention rude.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I'm from the south and that's just how we do it down here. A new mom is an open book and the subject of lurid discussions that we wouldn't dream of having in an otherwise "polite" society. The fact that are in your business means that they care -- and they have nothing better to focus on. I would recommend checking in with your ob / pediatrician just so that *NEXT* time, you can look them straight in the eye and smile and say, "Oh, bless your heart for your concern. I did run this by Dr. so and so, and s/he is on board with my plan." Just give them a hug or pat their arm and ask them about how they deal with colic or something.... focus their attention on something they can talk about themselves instead of you. Hang in there!