do you fee ashamed abour your weightloss journey?

Options
im slightly overweight and i want to lose weight... but id never tell anyone i know out of fear. im afraid people would comment negatively on my body or my plans, like im really ashamed that i want to lose weight. firstly because i really think that everybody can be good, no matter the weight and me trying to lose it is kind of hypocrite and secondly because im oly losing slowlyand i dont want people to comment on that..

anyway, do you have tips on how to handle this kindof shame? or do you expirience something similar?

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    HAhahaha! I was never ashamed! I was almost shamed, but I never FELT ashamed.

I started from being near morbidly obese (was ALWAYS obese), now I'm midway overweight. The only time someone actually tried to shame me, they've said I "looked too skinny" I actually look pretty great! A little doughy because I suck at weight training, but I'm slimmer than I was.

You're going to have people say things, but don't let them discourage you. You know you're doing a good thing and as long as you go for it in a healthy manner there's nothing wrong with it !
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ive had pleanty of strangers comment on my weight, not worth the headspace

Ive had so called friends and aqaintanceys make mean comments..... they all had one thing in common, they were overweight/obese themselves.

I do not discuss my diet/ exercise with people
    One person knows all of my info. Diet, exercise and my weekly weight. This person knows thier stuff on fitness matters and is the only person i feel comortable sharing with
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't feel ashamed about losing weight. I felt pretty darn ashamed/embarrassed clothes shopping at my heaviest. (I was a 3X, which was just about the maximum size stocked by a plus store I like. Now, I'm more like a 20/1X/X and just about ready for the non-plus locations!)
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't feel ashamed about trying to better myself. I feel very ashamed that I allowed myself to balloon up 325 lbs. You don't have to share this part of your life with others if you're not comfortable doing so.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    No shame in telling people that you are making changes in your lifestyle for health reasons - no one needs to know that its weight loss you are aiming for. No one woud make rude comments if you were trying to avoid diabetes or heart disease or hypertension. I dont understand how people feel entitled to make snide comments about weight - they wouldnt do it about any other medical condition.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is for you, this is your journey. Do not feel ashamed, but only tell people what you're comfortable telling them. Some people in my life know I'm actively losing weight, some people don't, but have noticed and have commented on it. I just thank them for their comments and move along :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    At first I kept quiet about it to all but my husband, and just read these forums, devouring all the years of advice so kindly given by others who had successfully lost weight.

After about a week, I told my closest workmates since I was so happy to have lost 2 kg. I continued to devour the forums.

After losing weight consistently and sustainably for several months, I couldn't help telling all my friends on Facebook.

By then, I was ready to shout to the rooftops about how I'd found a free, easy, and scientific way to lose weight.

Everyone was very happy for me.

Initially, while I wouldn't call it "shame" at all, I did feel a bit strange when I started weighing my food. But I knew that that was key to this successful, scientific method, and that strangeness turned into endless curiosity about how interesting food nutrition is.

Well done for exploring MFP, and for starting this thread. I hope you keep reading and learning.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    People's worth is not measured in pounds (not money, not weight). Losing weight for health is a good decision. Losing slowly almost always means healthy weight loss rate.

Share whatever you are comfortable with sharing, with people you are comfortable sharing it with.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I don't discuss my weight loss journey much with friends or family because many have their own opinions based on fad diets and rubbish spouted by the media. When I hit a third of my loss, I posted on facebook about it, because I was quite proud of myself and I won't post again until I hit my next third. I get far better support and feedback from my MFP buddies.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I used to have shame to mention anything because i've started and stopped so many fads that it became pretty pathetic. When i finally learned HOW to lose weight in 2013 I didn't mention it to anyone (I didnt' really have to since I was eating all the regular foods so no one really noticed) until I was 40lbs lighter and by then they really couldn't say *kitten*. Went on to lose 40 more and now it's just a thing I do and no one says anything lol

ETA It wasn't shame about my body, it was shame that I might *give up* more than anything
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it shame. I would call it privacy. Not everything is suitable conversation. Just like you wouldn't ask someone personal questions about their sex life, no one has the right to quiz you about your weight, what you're eating, or your body in any way.

It's personal and private, and if you keep it that way it will stay that way.

You nailed it so hard it's filing assault charges on you.
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I try my best not to feel ashamed but literally everyone in my life (my partner, co workers, friends, family) is against me losing weight and exercising (seems crazy right?) Its hard not to feel ashamed though when people you are close to shake their head at you and say 'You don't need to lose weight or do so much exercise, don't be silly!' I have even had one comment from someone who said to me 'You will make yourself Anorexic!' (a really stupid *kitten* comment). I wasn't even the one to tell everybody close to me about my fitness plans and weight loss journey, thats all down to my partner! :disappointed:

When people make silly comments like the above, I don't even respond. I just keep my face neutral and carry on! :neutral:

My goal weight is classed as being healthy BMI for me and I have been losing weight through exercise and healthy eating so the way I see it is, as long as I am losing weight in the RIGHT way, I don't see why there should be any reason for concern.

I hope you do get supported through your journey! MyFitnessPal family is what keeps me motivated with their support and advice <3
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, I wasn't ashamed to be losing weight. I was disappointed in myself for letting me get/stay so overweight but I wasn't ashamed to be fixing it. I didn't really share what I was doing with many people. My husband knew and my sister and then other people noticed along the way but I didn't really discuss it much.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Well, not ashamed; dissapointed in my efforts and results would be more like it. Sometimes it seems like I'm not working it correctly and just drifting along.