do you fee ashamed abour your weightloss journey?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I only discuss it when asked and I'm thinking I'll just steer clear of it even then.

Saw a buddy Saturday who asked, so I told him (down ~ 90 lbs) and the best he could come up with is "I remember when you lost before and said you weren't going to gain it back. Guess that didn't work."

So, yeah. I'm rethinking even answering questions about it. Also rethinking that friendship as he's come up with this kind of *kitten* over a couple of topics.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a very "this is how I am, take it or leave it" type of person. I never feel shame for who I am/what I'm doing with my life. I regularly tweet about my weight loss. I answer (reasonable) questions from people. When people are obnoxious though, I usually give them a curt, honest answer and that generally shuts them up.

Don't be ashamed you're losing weight. You're getting healthier! So what if you're not losing weight "fast"? You're losing!

You are making a positive change in your life and if the people around you are not supportive of that (or at least neutral) then they have no business being in your life.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dont feel ashamed, nothing wrong with wanting to change
    i was obese and didnt feel shame, even when i was on the spin bike trying to keep up with the class. i even learnt to ride a bike in the middle of a busy London park. its nobodys business.
    good luck wish you all the best.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I only discuss it when asked and I'm thinking I'll just steer clear of it even then.

Saw a buddy Saturday who asked, so I told him (down ~ 90 lbs) and the best he could come up with is "I remember when you lost before and said you weren't going to gain it back. Guess that didn't work."

So, yeah. I'm rethinking even answering questions about it. Also rethinking that friendship as he's come up with this kind of *kitten* over a couple of topics.

Ouch. Yes, I would ditch that guy. Or create some major distance, at least. Wow.

OP, if you feel you want to keep it private, that's not unhealthy shame, just a desire for privacy. There's nothing at all wrong with that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Only when people gush over my weight loss or think I'm some sort of expert. My doctor is pleased and wanted to know how I was losing and I couldn't tell her without sounding like I have an ED.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had been shamed when I started losing weight. It did make me feel ashamed of the fact that I was trying to better myself and try not to feel so self conscious about my weight since it was something that I had struggled with since I started high school. People made comments about how I was 'showing off' how much weight I had lost/I made them feel bad.

But now I don't really care. I mainly talk to my mum and dad about it along with my boyfriend and they're all really supportive of it! You will find people that will make comments but you just have to not care about what they say! Most of the time they're just jealous.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had a very difficult time at the beginning of my journey. I was ashamed and embarrassed the size I was. I guess I figured if I didn't bring it up, it wouldn't be an issue (Did I think they couldn't SEE me?). As I started to lose weight slowly, I started sharing more and opening up to friends, family and co-workers. I was STUNNED at the results of this vulnerability. Almost everyone was SO supportive. I learned that I was NOT my body. I was not what you saw on the outside. I had support, accountability and people to turn to when I not only needed help but when I needed and wanted to celebrate! I also learned that others needed my support and encouragement as well. And it didn't matter if they "appeared" to need it. Everyone faces there own demons and issues. The more we share with others, we learn that we can misinterpret how someone comes across as they are facing their own issues. I used to come across as standoffish at times, but was really just embarrassed to open up. I've now lost over 85 lbs and I don't think I could have done that without the support, love and encouragement (not to mention the accountability) of those around me.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I never felt ashamed, but I also didn't ever advertise that I was trying to lose weight. I guess I just never felt the need to? I think it's really easy to overshare on personal projects (whether it's weight loss or something else), to the point where your friends are silently praying you won't bring it up yet again, and I didn't want to be "one of those people", lol.
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I feel ashamed for letting myself weigh as high as 217lbs before finally doing something about it, but do I feel ashamed for my weight loss journey? No, not now and I never was. I'm proud of what I did/doing even when I get negative comments. But there is nothing wrong with keeping it private, when I decided to lose weight I told everyone because I figured I would be held to it and I would get motivation/help from family and friends, which i did at first but when I started losing I started to receive a lot of negative comments and I made my weight loss as private as possible.
    If you do get negative comments, brush it off and keep going. And remember no matter how little you're losing you are making a positive change, don't give up.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    The only shame I feel is from not taking responsibility for my weight and health sooner but that is more regret than shame. I am not the least bit ashamed of losing the weight. In fact, I am pretty darned proud of it and sincerely hope it helps others to do the same.

Well said !!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror and knew I was awesome, and was going to continue to be awesome and lose weight.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Ashamed? Embarrassed? No. Not at all. I was a little disappointed I had let things go ... but quickly corrected the situation.