New to exercising, lost a few, gaining a few back. When does it turn to muscle?

Options
vjambois
vjambois Posts: 39 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, I'm looking for some feedback on my journey to get more fit. I'm 5.7" and 130lbs, age 40 (well a week from today!). I have always been naturally thin and never had much muscle. As I've gotten older, things have gotten softer and what not so I started working out 3 weeks ago. My goal is to lose a few pounds and get a bit more muscle definition.

I am currently unemployed so don't have the money to spend on a gym and I've been doing Zuzka Light videos, mainly the kettlebell workouts. For anyone unfamiliar, they are sort of HIIT style workouts, 15-20 minutes each day + 20 minutes of Yoga. I'm weighing/tracking food on MFP and am usually at a calorie deficit. I have also increased from an 8->15->20lb kettlebell.

Anyhow, by about week 2, I had lost like 3lbs and now, going into week 4 the scale is creeping up every single day. I'm not doing anything differently and I'm wondering if I could actually be gaining some muscle from my workouts? Would that little exercise do it?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fat doesn't turn into muscle. assuming calorie game is on point, It's water retention.

In a deficit... it is possible to gain a small amount of muscle in obese trainees, people coming back from a long period of inactivity... or previously meaty AF folks returning to training.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    In this space of time I imagine that big loss (3 pound loss with your stats is large) was mostly water and the gains are mostly water retention and DOMS. You can't reaaally gain that much muscle if any at a deficit it will mostly be about retaining what muscle you have whilst trying to lose fat, as the above poster mentioned you usually have to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle. Good luck x
  • vjambois
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies...one more question... Will the muscle that you already have get stronger and tighter without a calorie surplus?

@SezxyStef will check out those programs
    @kshama2001 watching now
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    vjambois wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies...one more question... Will the muscle that you already have get stronger and tighter without a calorie surplus?

@SezxyStef will check out those programs
    @kshama2001 watching now

Yes you will maintain muscle if you are eating enough protein and doing some form of resistance training.

And you will get stronger and as you lose "fat" you will see more definition.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Recomp!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

130 at 5'7" is literally the ideal weight. You probably don't need to lose-you just want to change your shape. This thread is worth the read
  • vjambois
    Options
    Yes, I'm making sure to hit my protein every day, which I never realized that I was not getting nearly enough of! I'm not a big meat eater so I've had to really work at it. I checked out some videos of the programs you suggested and they look right up my alley for now. I will say that Zuzka's videos are very similar but with added free weights or kettlebells and I'm starting to add more time to my workouts. I'm feeling stronger already and overall just feeling better about myself.

Now if only I can convince my husband we have the space for some weights and a bench...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Yes, I'm making sure to hit my protein every day, which I never realized that I was not getting nearly enough of! I'm not a big meat eater so I've had to really work at it. I checked out some videos of the programs you suggested and they look right up my alley for now. I will say that Zuzka's videos are very similar but with added free weights or kettlebells and I'm starting to add more time to my workouts. I'm feeling stronger already and overall just feeling better about myself.

Now if only I can convince my husband we have the space for some weights and a bench...

keep in mind the protein goal from MFP is minimum...

I eat 0.8 grams of protein for each lb I weigh and I lift heavy to ensure no muscle loss...as a woman and at my age it's important...
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I eat 0.8 grams of protein for each lb I weigh and I lift heavy to ensure no muscle loss...as a woman and at my age it's important...

I think it's important to note that most recommendations for protein intake of 0.8-1.0g/lb for muscle building is based on lean body mass (LBM), not necessarily actual weight. For example, I currently weigh 209, but my LBM is about 160. So I target 160 g of protein as a minimum. If my weight decreases to, say 175 (my goal), I may still be eating 160g of protein.

@SezxyStef I'm not sure where you are with respect to your LBM, but I wanted to make that clarification in case there was any confusion...
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    muscle isn't "loose" or "tight" it just is. Any jigglyness or puffiness is just the fat around it.
  • vjambois
    Options
    So...do you still know what I mean when I say "tight"? :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I think it's important to note that most recommendations for protein intake of 0.8-1.0g/lb for muscle building is based on lean body mass (LBM), not necessarily actual weight. For example, I currently weigh 209, but my LBM is about 160. So I target 160 g of protein as a minimum. If my weight decreases to, say 175 (my goal), I may still be eating 160g of protein.

@SezxyStef I'm not sure where you are with respect to your LBM, but I wanted to make that clarification in case there was any confusion...

No worries based on my understanding it is 1g per lb of LBM as well...

but the 0.8 grams is for each lb you weigh for those who do not know their LBM.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

You can have strength gains without increasing muscle mass (so, yes, without a calorie surplus), especially at the beginning of a strength-training program. I don't know what you mean by "tighter" -- tighter muscles are muscles that haven't been warmed up properly, and are more prone to injury, but from your phrasing you imply "tighter" is a good thing, so you must have some other meaning in mind. Do you mean more defined? That generally comes from decreasing the fat sitting on top of them. You would need a calorie deficit for that.

In general, the only changes you can really make to your muscles is to add muscle or decrease muscles -- there's no "lengthening" or "leaning" or "toning" effect on your muscles to be had from particular training or eating regimens. There's more muscle, and there's less muscle.
  • vjambois
    Options
    Ok so I used the wrong word. I'm new to working out so I don't have the whole lexicon down yet. I shouldn't assume people know what I mean.

Anyhow, thanks for the helpful answers, I found the video really helpful, especially about where we are at in our cycles. I will continue to focus on getting my protein as well.