What is one permanent change you've made to create a life-long calorie deficit?

Options
What is one permanent change you've made to create a life-long calorie deficit? For example I've switched to sugar-free syrup vs. regular and it saves me about 100 calories (reg syrup is calorie RICH!). Reduced fat cheese vs regular saves me about 30-45 calories per ounce. These are food changes I can live with. What about you?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've really cut anything 100% (never a big soda drinker anyway) but my ratios of certain foods are permanently different. I have way more vegetables than before and make it a point to include large servings at both lunch and dinner, and try for fruit with breakfast. I make low fat choices where it doesn't impact my enjoyment of the food, like non fat milk is fine but I can't deal with low or non-fat cottage cheese, it's gross, yoghurt too with some exceptions, so full fat there.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pop. Definatley pop. I'd have a large drink every lunch. Now it's water. Not a big fan of diet pop but I do have them occasionally.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It's too soon to say, honestly. Hopefully kicked the daily soda habit for good. I've quit before, but eventually it always sneaks it's way back into my life. Too many wasted calories there. I still have one occasionally. Had a can of Dr. Pepper Saturday night, matter of fact! I didn't even finish it...
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    typically juices and caloric beverages. i eat more fruits, vegetables, and "real" or satisfying foods.

i also used to eat a lot of processed and empty calorie snacks, so that was cut down.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I went from vegetarian to 99% vegan. I did this for ethical reasons and not for calories but it did end up really affecting me. I still eat dairy and eggs on special occasions with my family or when it is absolutely necessary at work. I weigh everything and do not taste anything at work (I'm a pastry Chef).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Prayforya wrote: »
    What is one permanent change you've made to create a life-long calorie deficit? For example I've switched to sugar-free syrup vs. regular and it saves me about 100 calories (reg syrup is calorie RICH!). Reduced fat cheese vs regular saves me about 30-45 calories per ounce. These are food changes I can live with. What about you?

I don't want a life-long calorie deficit. I would die way too soon!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have switched from regular sodas to diet... splenda and milk in my coffee rather than cream and sugar... other than that I just cut calories where I can either by portion control or taking advantage of the low-carb fad that seems to have new products pop up weekly. Bless them for that lol
  • Prayforya
    Prayforya Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I went from vegetarian to 99% vegan. I did this for ethical reasons and not for calories but it did end up really affecting me. I still eat dairy and eggs on special occasions with my family or when it is absolutely necessary at work. I weigh everything and do not taste anything at work (I'm a pastry Chef).

Oh wow! Kudos to you for discipline in such a tempting work environment!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Years and years ago I switched from drinking soda all day ***and I mean all day, to drinking mainly water. I do drink coffee in the morning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking calories (I get *maybe* skim milk in my coffee or a sweetened drink once a month, if that)
    Try for 15k steps a day (that one was much a bigger deal than quitting soda)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I eat far fewer simple carbs (bread, pasta, baked goods) than previously. They were core components to my previous diet and I really really liked them, so I over consumed and my weight ballooned. My permanent change is I have to keep these items under control.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Educated myself about nutrition. By that I mean reading text books, research papers, studies, etc and finding credible experts to follow(not some paleo guru). It's a lot of work, but it's knowledge I'll benefit from for the rest of my life.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Make a healthy fruit/veggie shake for breakfast(never used to eat breakfast) I never drank soda & rarely ate fast food so no change there but I love Lays chips so I don't eat them out of the bag any more & will always weigh them out. I cut down on rice & replaced it with more veggies. I buy low cal coffee creamer, low cal yogurt & cut way down on nuts. I plan to keep doing these things always
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Way more water and way less wine.